Monday, March 25, 2019

Country Clippers And Steel Magnolias

The grandmas were talking about the possibility of a beauty shop in Marleewood. They thought that it would be fun if they could get volunteers to come in and fix hair sometimes. The volunteers wouldn't have to be a licensed operator, they could be family members and friends. They could be whoever wanted to be part of the Marleewood adventures.
Grandma Lu said, "I just have such fond memories of your shop, The Country Clippers. Like you said, it was the same building that your dad had his shop in. Do you remember how sick I was sometimes? You would offer to pick me up and take me home. I always refused you though. I think it was a matter of pride.  I don't think I lived much more than two (2) blocks away. I just needed to walk to keep up my strength. I had a specially made walker for me. Multiple Sclerosis is no fun. I'm so happy now that I am in remission. I don't need any equipment anymore because of a life saving medicine change."
"Your shop was always so homey with your decorations in that big bay window. I remember that you had decorations for all occasions." Grandma Lu took a drink and thought a minute and said, "You always seemed so happy when you were at work. Didn't anything bad ever happen in that shop? You would think in an old building like that, something would."
Grandma B started to laugh and said, "Oh my goodness it sure did. But you know when something bad happens you just have to deal with it and get on with your life. I can remember one time years ago I had forgotten my appointment book. We had a snowstorm that night with about 15" of snow. We lived on the edge of town and I had to walk to town to get my book to cancel all of my appointments. Guess what, they all came anyway!"
"Then one time the pipes in the ceiling burst and the sewer got messed up. That's just part of owning an old building."
Grandma Lu laughed and said, "I know why your customers ventured out in the snow. Your shop was like the one in the movie, Steel Magnolias.

When you had an appointment you knew you were going to meet friends and laugh. I can remember Carole and I picking at each other and laughing. Or if you had had a bad week you knew you could talk about it and get it off your chest. You just didn't want to cancel because that meant it would be just one more week without seeing your friends."
Grandma B said, "You know I didn't advertise. So years and years ago I ordered some jackets and shirts with Country Clippers on them and sold them to the customers for what it cost me. Not too long ago someone gave me one of the jackets that I had given to my nephew. I also had the Greyhound bus stop there for four (4) years. It kept me busy that's for sure."
"Do you want to know a secret? I'm going to tell you anyway, Grandma Lu laughed, "I just threw away a can of hair spray you sold me about twenty years ago. Quit spewing your coffee! I can't help that I save stuff. You charged me an arm and a leg for it. I never used it but thought it was valuable." Oh how they laughed. Being with friends is so much fun. Grandma Lu thought that she heard Grandma B say, "I probably gave it to ya." (Surely not!)
Grandma Lu started talking to Marlee and Grandma B said, "You are making me think of the olden days again." She whispered so Marlee wouldn't hear. "I used to do Santa's hair and beard every year at Christmas time." It was Grandma Lu's turn to almost choke and said, "That was something I needed to know. I always wondered where Santa got his beautiful curly hair and snow white beard."
"Do you remember the very special Santa that let little Matthew feel his beard with his hands because he couldn't see his white hair and beard? That was a special story wasn't it? I think about Matthew sometimes and wonder how he is doing."
"Once again I am rambling, "B".  Shall we take a ride and see if Marlee's mama is at her shop? She may have some ideas about volunteering at Marleewood."
On the way over to Studio 754 they noticed that Marlee's friends were all outside playing. The weather had turned warm and beautiful. I think there is a reason all the children were outside. Some of them even went to school. Oh, I know. I think it is Spring Break!. Oh look! There is Kylee with some daffodils. So pretty. Spring is here....




6 comments:

  1. Lessons aplenty in today's story. If something bad happens you deal with it. You make friends at the beauty shop. I can attest to that over the years. And finally hope springs eternal. The daffodils remind us every spring in a child's hands that our troubles are few and our blessings are many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. II had a friend that did hair in your home .We always had good times when she did .After the hair was done we would sit and have wine cheese and crackers laugh it was awesome. However, she passed away and it took 8 yrs before I let someone else touch my hair .Funny how we get so tides to someone and you think no one else can do it for you now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, funny what the lesson is today. We were out side sitting on the porch and Marlee was going in circles laughing, running up and down the sidewalk and my son Uncle A said,"Wouldnt it be nice to be that happy everyday, just happy over nothing. "
    Yes and we all have a reason to be happy, We as adults choose to remember the things that makes us sad, or up set, Children look forward to being happy and not think of how they hurt that knee, They go for the Adventures and laugh at life, enjoy freedom when they get the chance.
    Life is so much more, be in a habit of looking for that smile, not accepting to be sad. Just like you Lu, you didnt let MS keep you down and when you were you found happy places to go.
    We only have one life, we only have problems for a short while in most cases, find something happy and think about that, think like a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This had me thinking about a lot of different things that I wanted to be about when I was younger. Great read ��

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...