Thursday, June 20, 2019

Why Did The Butler Wink At Lady Kathleen?

Grandma Lu said that there was a lot of talking and being mean to each other on the way down the road to Lady Bonita's house. Finally, Marlee said, "I'm going to cry if you can't be nice to each other. I just can't stand it. I love Lady Kathleen. She is the Cap'n and you all had better be nice to each other." The older ladies looked at each other and didn't say a word as they walked back to the house.
The housekeeper and butler met them at the door and whisked them into the drawing room. In those days it was very formal. No television or toys. Just slippery chairs and at least two paintings on the wall of old people. For light there was a chandelier that held hundreds of candles. They seldom lit most of them because this room wasn't used very often. Lady Bonita used it today because she wanted to flaunt her wealth and make them feel uncomfortable. She wanted them gone for good so she said, "Alright then, be at it. Tell me what you think is so important for me to hear."
Lexie had learned to be strong from her time with Lady Kathleen. She started to talk and Lady Bonita cut her off and said, "I was not talking to you, I was talking to this woman who says she is my cousin." Lexie sat up straight in her chair and said, "From my time with Lady Kathleen I have learned some manners. She would have offered strangers something to eat and drink. You have offered us nothing but threats and no kindness at all. I wish I could prove to you that I was indeed a Taylor like my mum told me I was."
Lady Bonita huffed and puffed, and said, "What are you trying to say to me you nit wit? You cannot be a Taylor. There are very few Taylors in England. From what I understand I am the last of the line. I do have a cousin Kathleen, but she certainly would never be a pirate. Her father inherited a ship line from my grandfather and my father inherited land. She has a palace in the islands. As far as I know there were only the two brothers. If there had been another brother, I am sure I would have been told."
Edward, the butler had knocked softly and entered to the mean voice of Lady Bonita. "Enter."  He was there to offer some biscuits (cookies) and something to drink. In those days ladies drank claret a kind of wine or a lighter drink called sherry and also  strong drinks called whiskey or gin. Children drank milk. Ale was also served by the gallon to male visitors.
Grandma Lu smiled and said, "Well, Lady Kathleen grinned when she saw the whiskey decanter on the tray that Edward had brought in. "Where you be getting the strong drink, Lady Bonita? Looks very familiar to me. I will tell you why. Me boys from the ship stole that whiskey from a French trade ship. You, dear Lady got that whiskey from me! I am also willing to say you have a cellar full of barrels of me whiskey. You don't want to pay taxes on that whiskey so you have it brought to you illegally at night."
Lady Bonita gasped, "Well, I never!" and spluttered and gasped for air. This was all just too much for her.
The butler being very amused by this whole thing covered his mouth with his gloved hand and cleared his throat. Just that little mannerism was seldom allowed by the servants. He looked at Lady Bonita and said, "My lady, if I may add something." She just gave him a cold stare and said, "If you  must."
My great grandfather was your father's butler. This position has been handed down for generations in my family. I do believe there was another brother. He married a woman that your grandfather did not approve of because she was Irish. It was believed that he had disowned him and has not been heard of since. There is a trunk in the attic that may have some papers inside. If you wish I could bring it down for you to go through."
Lady Bonita said, "Rubbish, absolutely not. I'll not have my home disrupted. Out!" Edward winked at Lady Kathleen and said, "Very good, madam" and quietly left the room.
"Well, that was all the fuel that Lady Kathleen needed to start a good fire. She and Miss Lexie both stood up and said, "You will have the servants bring that trunk down here or we will go up there ourselves. This mystery will be solved today, right now!"


4 comments:

  1. In the 1700's the King or Queen would hear of their people making money on something in this case, whiskey and coffee they would impose an enormous tax trying to get every penny they could for themselves. It didn't always work. The coffee houses survived and the pirates made a lot of money plundering ships that were headed for England and other countries. Whiskey and gin were prime targets for pirates. Just some trivia for your next conversation about pirates! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving these stories. When this series is done I am rereading it from the beginning. Thanks Lu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving this story too .so nice to be able to go back and read it through all over again.❤

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...