Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The Personal Ads In The Newspaper

Nell was so very frightened. She had no idea what was going to happen to her. When she heard a knock at her door she was worried that it might be her landlady wanting her rent. She didn't have it. "Oh what shall I do? I have nowhere to turn. If only I had some friends or family that I could live with. I would work very hard to earn my keep. Maybe I won't answer the door. Maybe they will go away. I need to finish this last little garment for Mrs. Peabody before I lose her business altogether." Again she heard the knock at the door. This time it was louder. She could hear, "Nell! Would you like to read my newspaper? I have finished with it. Maybe you can find some folks looking for a seamstress."


Nell took a deep deep breath of relief. "Oh, yes, yes! Thank you so much, perhaps, just perhaps I may find something to help me out in my time of need. You are such a good friend, Mittie, if ever you need something I will help you if I can."



 
Nell quickly sat down as close as she could to the little stove to keep warm while she read the paper. She looked in the part of the paper called Personals. There were few available positions available to women. In those days women were seldom seen in the workplace except for teaching, governesses who took care of children, and occasional ladies that worked in offices and restaurants. Then she saw it. A Personal Ad that was advertising for a wife! "What? How could someone ask for a wife in a newspaper? This was unheard of. She found herself reading the ad aloud to herself. This man wanted a woman that would work hard and help him on his farm. He was interested in marriage and wanted children in the future to help with farm work. Talking about having children in a newspaper just was not done!
 Then she saw another ad. He also wanted a woman that was willing to relocate to Iowa. He needed help with his farm animals, cooking, cleaning, and especially with his young children. He stated that he was a widower and needed a woman's help as soon as possible. He would send money for train fare and eating expenses to the right woman.
Nell skipped over the ads for brides and looked and looked for some Help Wanted ads for sewing or cleaning, but found nothing. Her eyes went back to the ads for brides. She had never heard of such a thing. "I couldn't leave the city. I know nothing about farm work. I certainly don't know anything about children. I don't even know how to cook very well. Iowa? "I don't think Iowa is even a state yet. It's only a territory and I have heard it's pretty rough out there. I think there are wars with Indians and little to no law and order.  I can't leave the safety of my home in the city."

Back in Iowa, Nathan was in desperate need of some help. His wife had died only months before of a disease that at that time had no name. He was left to care for four children and a farm. He looked about his home. It was a disaster, his children were dirty and seemed to always be hungry. "How am I going to cook and clean and take care of these children by myself? I will lose everything if I don't do something immediately. The cattle and chickens and gardening all has to be done. I am only one person I just can't do it all."


"Even the critters are against me. They are eating everything in the garden. Soon there will be nothing left to store for the winter. I have to have some help. But where do I find some? The nearest neighbors are miles away."


Young Nathan was not only worried, he was sad and lonely and so discouraged. One of his daughters, Marlee Ada, came running out and said, "Pa, look, here comes a wagon. Who is that man?"


4 comments:

  1. Thanks to the Forgotten Photographs of Missouri I have permission to give life to folks that have in fact been forgotten. Nell is the only person that does have a follower and member of the blog and group. This is the only picture that you will see of her however. The other names and the story is fictional. The Mail Order Brides were a very important part of our nation's history. I hope you will enjoy this little series. By the way Marlee enjoyed getting dirty. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. that picture worked perfectly in the story. Im really gonna like this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now,Nathan sounds like a very familiar pioneer name to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...