Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Quilting Stories At Marleewood

In a long story like the Mail Order Bride story she was telling, Grandma Lu knew that there would be lots of questions. She had shown them a picture of what the covered wagon that Nell and Ethel were riding in looked like. It had so many things loaded in it. The wagons in those days were called Prairie Schooners. They were about four feet wide and ten feet long. They could actually hold about twenty five hundred pounds of food and farming equipment. "In the picture I showed you of a covered wagon I asked if you could think of anything that was missing." Marjorie said, "I noticed that there were no quilts or pillows or space left for the people to sleep."


"That's right, said Grandma Lu. The people had to sleep in tents or on blankets or quilts under the stars at night."
It seemed that the mention of quilts on the trail gave way for so many stories about quilts that they had made or had family members that made quilts. Marjorie shared a story of she and her sister, Barb and her mother's grandkids all came down to her mother's home for a weekend and actually quilted six quilts; one for each grandchild. One of which was Marlee's papa, Jamie. She even had an old
picture that she shared with the group. She chuckled and said, "That little boy there is in his 60's now. We had such a good time that weekend. Such great memories."


Marlee's Grandma B told all about her Grandmother Taylor and her sister, Dova and a friend Mrs. Clampett decided that they would start a quilting club. They would go out to the Rosebud one room schoolhouse. They would have their quilting frame set up and had folding chairs all set up around the huge wooden frame. They would take out food, have lunch and of course, discuss any news in the neighborhood. She said they made a day of it and had a really good time. They sold some of the quilts for upkeep of the schoolhouse. She said that her Grandmother often would win blue ribbons on her quilts. Grandma B said, "Even the binding was hand stitched. None of the quilts they made were made by sewing machines. Grandma Taylor and Grandma Chaney have their pictures in the Humansville Centennial Book. I think that there is a copy of it in the Sitting Room. I put some pictures of the Rosebud school house in there too if you want to take a look. Some of them Matt took and sent for you. See the water pump? They had to pump their own water and carry it in the school for drinking and washing up."
"I would certainly like to know the history of that old school house. I wonder how old it is?" asked Grandma Lu. Sharon said, "I will look to see if I can find you a number to call the Polk County Genealogical Society. I think they may have some information for you."


Grandma Lu had her own story to tell about quilts. She said that her mother didn't have a sewing machine and hand stitched quilts also. "I have only one quilt left that my mother made. The picture of it is in my big old photo album. You are welcome to look at it. I enjoy it every day. I have it hanging on my bedroom wall. I can't even imagine how she got all of her stitches so even. She chuckled and said, "Mom always told the story of when she and my father first got married. She had bought some material and was cutting it up into squares and then sewed it up again. He said, "Why would you cut up perfectly good material just to sew it up again?" Her stories were always fun to listen to. Kathie said, "That pattern is called Grandmother's flower garden. I'm am just going to start making a small one similar to that one."

                   
 Marlee had fallen asleep at the table while Grandma Lu was telling her story. She had been catnapping and had heard part of the story. It was a little confusing and really really long so she went to the back of the room and started listening with her little sister, Whitlee. "I wonder why Grandma Lu is telling a story about a little girl named Marlee Ada? I am Marlee Ada. Oh I bet she is having me on another adventure again. Listen, Whitlee, I bet you are in this story too. I think I heard Grandma Lu say your name once. You are old enough now, I bet anything you will be on an adventure soon."


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that Marlee woke up! Now things can begin happening. lol Yes Whitlee Jo, soon you will be having your own adventures. I love to hear quilting stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the history too. Thanks Matt I had not had a chance to go by there. Lu you are amazing

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...