Monday, October 26, 2020

A Stetson Hat Made Grandma Lu Feel Better

 Grandma Lu had to do her exercises of course, but she also had to do other things to make herself feel better. She had to look better. She looked in the mirror one morning and saw an old woman wearing a sling. Her hair looked terrible, not a place on her face that didn't look old and wrinkled. "The bloom has left the rose," she sighed. I always used to look nice. I wore nice clothes no matter if I only was going to the grocery store. Now look at me. Okay, today is a new day. I'm going to put on some pretty clothes and see if I can't find a nice hat to wear. I believe I'm going to go to Marleewood today. I can see it from my front door. People have decorated it so pretty. Just look at that."

As Grandma Lu was going through her hat boxes she found her old Stetson cowboy hat. "Oh those were the fun days." She turned it around and around in her hands and there was a County Liners pin she had put there over forty years ago. "I am going to wear this to Marleewood. Hopefully some children will be there. I think I am ready to finish telling the story of Nell and the wagon train. Maybe Grandma B will be there. I know Marlee wants to hear the end of the story."


Grandma Lu asked her husband to give her a ride to Marleewood. Even though it was close, she had to be careful not to hurt her arm. As she was walking down the sidewalk she could see the children at the door. "Oh, how I have missed my time here. I just can't wait to see everyone." She waved at them and grinned. This was like going home after a long long time.


There was much giggling and pointing as Grandma Lu came in the door. The children had never seen her wear her Stetson before. Marlee said, "Grandma Lu you look funny in that hat. You aren't a cowgirl. Where did you get that hat?"
Grandma Lu grinned as she made her way to the Sitting Room. "Well, do you want the story of the hat or of Nell going to Iowa with the wagon train?"

Grandma B came into the Sitting Room with a cup of coffee and grinned and said, "Oh, I remember that hat. I think most folks around here remember that hat and the County Liners. Good music and good fun. Those were the days. You sure did love to dance, didn't you? You and Carole used to go listen to Bill all the time. My friends and I still do when we can."


"Okay, enough about my hat, now who wants to hear the rest of the story about Nell and the wagon train and Marlee Ada waiting for a new ma?"
People had started to come in with their drinks and snacks and the room got quiet while Grandma Lu cleared her throat, tilted her head to one side and said, "It seems to me that Nell and Marlee Ada were both in trouble. Does anyone remember ?" Hands went up and heads nodded. Marlee was grinning and said, "I know!"
 

5 comments:

  1. When you look good you automatically feel better about yourself. I have been writing my story since I broke my arm. lol Fran said, "Why are you wearing your Stetson around the house?" Lol Poor guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes I remember you two. Always having fun. Loved the county Liners and Uncle Bill. Glad your doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes I remember you two. Always having fun. Loved the county Liners and Uncle Bill. Glad your doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you are on the mend and getting back to your stories and the things you love .

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...