Friday, July 30, 2021

The Driver Liked The Feisty Young Woman

 The older gentleman walked into the office carrying a hot cup of coffee for Aaliyah with a smile on his face. "Well, I can see that you are in shock over the news that you now own a ranch and..."No, now you just wait a minute, sir. I want to know what happened to the rest of the video. I want to know just who this man is that said he was my uncle. My mother never said a word about having a brother. There were no pictures of a ranch; nothing. I am being evicted in three days. I have no job, soon nowhere to live. I need some answers." The kindly elderly man quietly got in his desk drawer and reached across the desk and put a set of keys in her hand. "Here you go, missy. These are the keys to the storage unit, the Jeep, and the big house on your ranch. You have a big job ahead of you, my dear. I hope you are up to it. You might want to rein in that temper a tad. Ruffling feathers would not be a good start with your employees if you know what I mean." Now I have a driver waiting for you. He will take you to the unit and you can see for yourself it is no joke. You have wheels and a new home waiting for you." He just as quietly got up from his chair and walked out of the office. Aaliyah jumped out of her chair and said, "Hey, just wait a minute!" There was no secretary, no lawyer just an empty office. "Just as I thought. It's all a big hoax." She was so sad and disappointed. But she straightened her back and walked out the door. There was a big old limousine with a driver waiting by the door. 

"Hello, Miss. I am your driver for the day. Shall we?"

"Shall we what? asked Aaliyah." The driver grinned and said, "Shall we go to your apartment and load up your things and then take them to the storage unit and pack your Jeep and camper so you can be on your way." "Nope, we go to the storage unit, you show me the Jeep and camper then we can go to my apartment. What's in my little apartment is all I have in the world. Well what are you waiting for let's get to it!"

Again the driver grinned at the feisty young woman, opened the door for her and helped her get comfortable. He told her there were drinks and snacks for her if she wanted. "Ha! If I wanted!" While the driver walked around to the driver's side she looked all around her. This old car was so cool. She ran her fingers through the soft ruby upholstery and thought, "I bet this would pay my rent for a couple of years." She then looked at the driver. He was still grinning, but they soon pulled up to a storage unit. The driver helped her out and there she stood with the keys in her hand wondering what was going to happen next.

She soon found out. The driver asked her if she would like for him to open the door for her. Her hands shook a little as she handed him the keys. Soon just like the man in the video said there was a Jeep and a little old camper. "Well, I'll be an uncle's monkey not a monkey's uncle." She soon found herself laughing so hard she thought she might never stop. It was real! She walked over and looked inside. Yup it was old, and there were all kinds of scars and dents, but it started right up when she turned the key in the ignition. "Thanks goodness it's an automatic. I never did learn how to drive a stick shift. So okay help me with this camper. It's really little." 

The driver opened up the back hatch and there everything was just like the man said. There was a grill, a cooler and inside everything she would need. But one thing was missing just like she thought. It was too good to be true. 

"So how do I get the money to make the trip? No one told me where or how to get that." Again the driver grinned and said, "Look in the glove box. There should be an envelope with a debit card, and some cash to get you started. Your new cell phone is also in there. It has been prepaid for you. The rest of your money is in a bank in Texas. All the information you need is in a briefcase in the front seat of the limo. Shall we go get your things now?"

Aaliyah started to cry and laugh at the same time. Who was this man? Why didn't her mom like him? He was saving her from going to a shelter or living on the streets. "Oh yeah! I am so ready! Can we stop on the way for a hot pretzel? I am starving!"

4 comments:

  1. What do you think she thought of that classic Packard limo? I think she will eventually fall in love with her new/old Jeep. It just might save her life along the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way this story is headed!! Sounds like she was skeptical but now she has some proof that this uncle did exist. Excited to see the ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm certain she Loved the Packard Limo. How exciting for Aaliyah , she was close to being homeless , and now she is living a dream come true ❤️..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love it!!! I am sure she will work hard in the end for what she was givin.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...