Friday, August 6, 2021

Crooks, Blackmailers, And Ghosts?!

 The young man watched as the Jeep pulling the tear drop camper pulled away. His job was finished. He sighed as he turned and walked back through the alley and walked towards his father's office. Hopefully this was the last of his dad's sneaky little jobs he'd have to do. He had made a mistake when he was in college and his dad had been making him pay for it ever since. But his dad had promised him that this was his last job then he could do what he wanted with this life. As he turned the corner he saw the sign over the wooden door that he had walked through so  many times. He was always proud of his father and told all his friends what a great man he was. He had wished that his dad could have spent more time with him, but that was in the past. His law practice was a big one or so he had always told his son when he had asked him to go to games with him or watch him run in track meets.

He sometimes wondered if his father was breaking the law in order to help his clients. Something just didn't seem right to him. For instance, why would his dad have him put a tracking device on the young woman's camper when she had left to get her things in her apartment. It didn't make sense to him. "I think I need to know exactly what is going on. When he found out that my best buddy had cheated on his college entrance exam he told me that he would tell the Dean if I didn't do just one little thing for him. Ha! One little thing seemed to go on forever. This needed to stop.

When he walked through the door there was a new secretary sitting at the desk. It seemed like every time he came to see his dad there was another new one. "Maybe Dad is hard to work for. I can sure understand that," he grinned to himself. He introduced himself to the woman and she motioned for him to go in.

When Josh walked in his father stood up. He was holding a set of keys. "Did you get that tracking device hidden on that girl's camper? Good. Here's a set of keys to a rental car that's sitting outside. I want you to follow that woman wherever she goes. Keep me informed of her every movement. It's important son, or I wouldn't ask this of you."

"No. You said I didn't have to do any more little secret jobs for you. I am done. I have my own life to live. You have held my friend's secret over my head for long enough. I'm not going to jump every time you tell me to anymore. I'm a grown man and soon I'll be of age to inherit my trust fund that my grandfather left me. You know I want to start up my own computer company. In a few years I might even want to start my own family. You just can't ask more of me, Dad. If you don't stop I will just have to tell Justin that you know what he did. He will have to face the consequences. He may lose his seat in the state senate, but that's on him. I can't keep covering for him and doing your under wrap jobs. Enough is enough."

When his father finished speaking, Josh took the set of keys and walked by the new secretary. He said, "Don't hold your breath until you get your next paycheck." He walked out through the wooden door; his head was bent his heart was heavy. He was so very disappointed in his father. In the last few minutes his whole future had been put on hold. He thought he never wanted to see his father again; ever! His father had spent and squandered  his entire trust fund his grandfather had left him. He was in debt and the young woman was the key to getting out of debt and paying Josh back at least some of his trust fund money. Then he could get on with his life. "Well, I guess I'm going to Texas too. I'll get this over with, so I can get at least some of my money back. I'll tell you one thing, my father isn't going to swindle me out of my money again."

Because Josh had attached a tracking device to Aaliyah's camper it was easy to see where she was going even though she had a head start on him.  When it was getting late he saw that she had turned into a campground. "Good. Now I can rest some myself. He had thrown a pillow into the backseat along with an old blanket. He had had time enough to go home throw some things in a suitcase, grab his laptop and his phone. "Well, here I am, Dad. Once again I have no idea what you are up to, but I do know one thing. I feel sorry for her. She is a terrible driver to start with.  She is crossways across a camping spot. She didn't even stop to eat on the way here. She has caused a little commotion in the campground though. There are all kinds of people watching her. You would think someone would go help her.


 Oh there goes a little girl over to that girl's camper. I have to see this. Talk to you later." He grabbed his phone and a candy bar and crawled up a little hill on his belly. "No one will see me. I'm going to take a picture of this.  Umph! What the heck? What or who are you?" Josh woke up on the hill the next morning dirty, bruised, cold and hungry. The girl was gone.

3 comments:

  1. Well well well! Where did that girl go? Who or what was it that bruised up Josh? And what happened while Josh was out cold? We shall see on the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man poor Josh. I dislike his dad already!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is happening , so many questions ??

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...