Tuesday, September 21, 2021

K.R. Is Going To Texas!

 K.R. chuckled to himself as he read the report the private investigator sent him. "So you thought you could outsmart your old man, huh? Well, sorry kid. I'm on to you and your college tricks. Got rid of your cell phone? I see it's on it's way to Missouri, but I know where you really are. It says here that you are in Texas just like I told you to be. I had a trace run on your credit card and it shows that you were at the ranch. You were buying feed and food at the cafe. Well, I'm sick of this shabby office. My bank account is full. People have invested in a worthless ranch thinking it has a silver mine on it. Ha! That mine was played out years and years ago by my old man. He's old and in a nursing home now. I haven't talked to him in years. He wanted me to go to law school so I did. He also wanted me to live in that little nowhere town so I could help people. Ha! I showed him. I could help myself. I would not do that so he cut me out of his will. Well, now I'm free as a bird. I think I'll take the car to Texas. I'm going to have to give that girl a little nudge to get herself off that ranch so I can sell it. Josh just isn't doing the job I sent him there to do. I have the money to buy a condo I saw in a flyer. Beautiful beach and ocean front property.  Yes sir! I will have the life I've always wanted. I just want the money from the ranch to make my bank account a little fatter. Besides that old Bill never knew that the video will I had him make was illegal in Texas. That young woman will not get a red cent. I made myself the executor of his will. I get it all. Then I won't have to work for the rest of my life. Ouch!" The pain in K.R.'s head was terrible. In fact it brought him to his knees.


When he got up from the floor he rang for his secretary, but got no answer. He walked out to the waiting room and found that it was empty. "Hmm, I guess she wanted paid. "Oh well, I'll call my driver and have him bring the car around. I'll throw in a suitcase and I'll be on my way." After several minutes without getting an answer he went to the garage and found the keys on the seat and note that the driver was tired of waiting to be paid. "Well, I guess that's one more paycheck I don't have to write. I haven't paid rent on my apartment for awhile so I'm outta here. Ouch! Man I have never had such a terrible headache! I need to find something to take for it and be on my way to Texas."


Allie crouched down and said, "Come here, girl. Let me see your new toy. Where did you get that? Did Josh give you a new toy? That's a good girl. Oh, it's all lumpy and heavy. I don't think that's a good toy for you. Let me get you something else to play with. I should be able to find something for you. I know. I'll get you an old sock. I'll knot it up and we can play after while. Here you go. Josh got some dog treats for you. Let's get some dust rags and a mop and go into that old bedroom upstairs and see if anything can be saved. Someday we are going to have lots of people coming in and out when the dude ranch is up and running. That room would make a good office. Okay, come on let's get busy. She put the dog toy on the table. She was busy knocking down spider webs when she heard a car drive into the front. "It's probably Josh. I've missed him today. He's a know it all, but I'm beginning to like him."

Josh had programmed in all the names and numbers that he could remember from his old phone. He figured his first call should be to the Candy Desk at the senate. He figured his friend should be there since congress was in session. He grinned to himself, "He's probably eating more candy than he's giving away, but that old tradition started in the 60's makes for good networking with democrats, republicans and independents. That's just what I need right now; a friend that knows so many people. I need to find out who I can trust at the bank. Jim can run interference for me with just having  the title Senator in front of his name. He doesn't know a soul here so that is good."


 "Hey!  Yeah, it's Josh. I need a favor. I'm in a little town in Texas. I think there is a lot of bad stuff going on here. Could you run a check on the president and teller of the bank here in Master, Texas? Yes. What? What do you mean your mother lives there? She what? No way. I hate to tell you this, but I think your mom is somehow mixed up in this mess. I sure didn't recognize her. She looked too old to be the lady I remember in the picture you had of her.  She was our waitress at the chili cafe the first night we got here. She put a really hot pepper in Allie's chili. She about choked to death it was so hot. No. I'm not kidding. Her name is Aaliyah but I call her Allie. She inherited a dude ranch from her uncle. An uncle she has never heard of by the way. The Double D ranch. It has been neglected something fierce. No. I haven't seen the will, but Allie said that my dad gave her a video will with this Bill telling her that the ranch was hers. What do you mean that's not legal? Oh man. Hey. I have to go. I've got Allie's Jeep. Can I call you back tomorrow? I need some help in the worst way. I'm not altogether sure that she is safe." After he ended the call his mind was reeling. Lill was Josh's mother? What was going on? Well, he had to get back to the ranch and unload supplies and make sure Allie was alright.

Haylee, the teller at the bank was excited. She had just passed her financial securities test to be federally licensed. She was bonded and able to be  not only a teller, but a personal banker at her small bank. She could now recommend stocks for people to invest in among other things. It meant quite a raise in pay which she could surely use. She actually could live anywhere, but chose to live in her small hometown where her friends and family were close. She did have a problem, however. The policies of the bank where she worked seemed to be changing in the last two years she had worked there. The other day when a young woman came in wanting cash from the bank account she had a debit card for, she had had to turn her down. She had known her Uncle Bill and knew that he had an account there. She also knew that there was plenty of money for her to give, but new rules the president had recently set up said that she could no longer do that without pages of filled out forms. She just didn't think that was right. She had shown her her her drivers license, but the new rules required much more. Hopefully she would see Aaliyah again. It would be nice to get to know her. Maybe they could be friends someday. "I think I just might take a ride out to the ranch to see how she is settling in. Yes, that is a great idea." She'd pick up some ice cream and welcome her to the community that she had been born and raised in properly.


As Haylee headed out of town she noticed a big white older car. It was big enough to be a limousine. She had seen some in the city, but never in her little town. She'd have to check that out when she got back from the DD Ranch. "Good grief, I'm getting to be an old busybody," she grinned. She also noticed that Laura was walking into the sheriff's office. "Weird things going on around here. The next thing you know Channel KQRV will be here interviewing me wanting to know why I got my securities license. That's one thing about little towns people know things you do before you do them," she laughed as she sang along with the radio to her favorite country western music station. "Oh, Morgan Wallen, I do love your music. I wonder if Aaliyah does. That'd be so much fun."


4 comments:

  1. The candy desk was started by Senator Murphy I believe from California in 1968. It has been a welcoming desk by a busy doorway into congress ever since. Senator Tummley from Pennsylvania hands out chocolate kisses because Hersey facotries are famous there. Just a bit of trivia. lol
    Okay K.R. is in town. Why he hasn't spoken to his father in years. Hmm. How is he going to get Allie off the ranch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hershey factories Boy did I do a good job of spelling! Sorry. I have terrible dry eye syndrome so in the mornings I don't see well. Enjoy the story. I am having a ball writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of the candy desk , interesting.
    Josh and Allie are going to have more surprises now that K. R. is in town.
    I'm glad Allie has friends who can help her fight to keep the Dude Ranch.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...