Friday, October 22, 2021

K.R. Is Read His Rights

When Josh walked into the cafe it was almost empty. It was a bit after four in the afternoon, the bus had just left without him. He figured the sheriff would be upset with him after he ordered him out of town, but he needed some answers to about a thousand questions he had. He had no idea that he had any family outside of his dad such as he was, for a father. After his eyes got accustomed to the gloomy atmosphere of the little cafe he spotted Lill sitting on a stool staring at what he figured was a cold cup of coffee. He walked over to her and sat down beside her. "Hello, My name is Josh Durnhem." Lill looked over at him and said, "I know who you are. Your the son to a man I've known for years. He's a bad dude, kid. You need to stay away from him. He'll get you into trouble. I know that for a fact."
Josh said, "I know your son, Justin. He was a friend of mine in college. I know that you are right about my dad. Justin cheated on his entrance exams to law school and I told my dad about it. That was the biggest mistake I ever made." Lill gave him a long stare and said, "No, doing his dirty work and letting him blackmail you was your biggest mistake. You don't need to be telling me your life story. I know you were friends with my boy. He's told me about you."


A little boy was eating lunch with his mom and said, "There goes a big bus! Can we ride on it? Please Mom. Oh, there's the sheriff. He stopped the bus. I wonder why. Look, Mom. Is somebody in trouble?"


Josh heard what the little boy said to his mother. He gave Lill a look and she said, "Go out the back door. Walk the dirt road until you see an old log cabin. I'll meet you there when my shift is over. We need to talk anyway." Josh didn't need any convincing. He jumped up, ran out the back door and was on his way before the sheriff caught sight of him.

The sheriff was fit to be tied. "Dagnabit! That young man is in so much trouble. I told him we didn't need his kind in our little town. I just had a feeling he wouldn't leave. I wonder if he walked back out to the ranch. He doesn't have a car yet." He wondered where Haylee was. "These young folks got my head spinnin'. I wonder if she went after K.R. I might walk over to the bank and see if she's working. No that's not a very good idea. I think I will send her a text. That way no one will hear her phone ring and I won't have to take money out of the bank I don't need. She's a smart one, though. She put permanent powdered dye in the money she gave K.R. That was a good one. That powder stains skin and likes to never comes off. Then I couldn't believe that the gas station attendant knew that the money K.R. had given her had been stained with dye. She had had experience with catching a money launderer in the past. So that's how she knew he was up to no good. Plus she saw the red stain on his hands. Well, they should be about down there to arrest him by now. He's out of my territory or I'd have been pleased as punch to do the job."

It seemed like K.R. had had one headache after another. He was starting to get concerned. He had laid down after the last one and did feel better, so he changed his mind about going to the doctor. He hadn't been up long when there was a knock at the door. He wondered who could be knocking, but figured it was housekeeping with linens he'd ordered. He hadn't ordered his pizza yet. He opened the door and there stood two men wearing uniforms.
"Are you K.R. Durnhem?" K.R. said, "Yes, I am. Why do you ask?" "Well we would like to have you come to the office with us, Mr. Durnhem. We have some questions to ask you. Why don't you get your keys and come with us."
"Why should I do that? What is it that you want? I can answer your questions right here."
K.R. turned his head to the parking lot and thought, "I've seen that woman somewhere before." He watched as she walked up beside the two men. "Hello, K.R. My name is Haylee. We have met before. I was the teller at the bank when you came in for some cash. I also was driving Allie's Jeep when you tried running us off the road. I am a Federal Securities Agent. I think these men asked you to go to the office. I'd advise you to do just that. There are some questions that need to be answered and I think you would be more comfortable doing that in their office than at the police station. What do you think?"
"I'm a lawyer, and I know my rights. I don't have to go anywhere with you without a warrant. So why don't you folks just go enjoy the sunshine and leave me alone."
Haylee smiled and said, " Actually, K.R. you aren't a very good lawyer. Alright gentlemen; cuff him and take him downtown. Mr. Durnhem, you are under arrest for fraud and selling stocks and shares of property that does not belong to you.  Please read him his Miranda Rights, gentlemen. You have the right to remain silent. If you do say anything it may be or can be used against you in a court of law. You have a right to an attorney present when we question you and if you cannot afford one one will be assigned to your case. This warrant says we have the right to search your condo here as well as your office in Springfield, Illinois.  Actually your office is being searched as we speak and your cohort president of the bank will be arrested shortly." Haylee grinned and said, "That dye I put on your cash is sure hard to get off, isn't it?"
Haylee watched the men put K.R. in the patrol car and sent the sheriff a text. "Just arrested K.R. Go arrest the president of the bank for accessory for security fraud. We will figure out the rest of this mess when I bring K.R. back for trial. The judge will determine where and when that will be. Good luck. See you soon." As she was putting her phone back into her side holster she heard K.R. yell, "I want my phone call and I want it now!" She just shook her head and muttered, "All crooks are alike. They know their rights, but not the rights of others."

After her shift Lill changed her clothes and walked back to the log cabin to meet with Josh. He wasn't there. "Figures. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Why I ever got mixed up with that no good human they call a man is beyond me. I was young and foolish and he was so handsome."


Josh stood outside the old miner's door listening to Laura telling her old friend that enough was enough. She had to tell Allie and Josh the truth. Things were completely out of control.

3 comments:

  1. The Mirando Rights were established in March of 1963 after Ernesto Mirando. He was an accused rapist who was incarcerated twice and met his death in a bathroom of a bar after a poker game in 1972. He only served a few years in prison.
    I am very familiar with the dye (in my day it was purple powder). I worked in a nursing home that had a thief that was stealing paper money from lady's handbags. We caught them purple handed! The federal government how uses a little explosive in the money that bank robbers get. It gives their hands and money a red stain that is really difficult to get off.
    I can't wait to hear the rest of the conversation between Laura and the miner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow poor Josh. I feel sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay ,.they finally got that K.R. . Hopefully he gets what he deserves. Good Job Haylee ❤️.
    Will Josh get a chance to get himself out of hit water ?
    Excited and ready for the next chapter.
    Hoping also that Allie gets her rewards eventually from the Dude Ranch.. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...