Friday, October 1, 2021

The Sheriff Goes To The DD Ranch

 The sheriff was just ready to dig into his steak when his old friend came in and sat across from him. He had grown up with Laura and knew her well. She was always welcome at his table as well as his home. His wife had also gone to school with her. He was a bit surprised to see her looking so serious though. "Hey, girl! What's cookin'? Get yourself somethin' to eat and keep me company. Jeanne had to leave to do some errands, so I could use some company. Some good company. That sidekick of Maxine's was just here wanting me to go out to the DD ranch and kick out the young woman that's just moved in out there. What have you heard about her, anything? I hate to say this, but I just don't trust that guy."

Laura gave Lill the heads up and ordered a cup of coffee. After Lill left she smiled and said, "Boy, that woman always makes you feel welcome, don't she?" The sheriff nodded and said, "Poor woman. She needs to move and do something she enjoys. Waitressin' just isn't her thing." They both chuckled. After Lill brought Laura her coffee the sheriff said, "Okay, girl. What's up? You just don't come visiting me at the cafe. Laura looked steady into the sheriff's eyes and said, "You and me been friends in this little town for about forty some years. I've had your back and you've had mine. We've both been in scrapes where we needed each other, now I think it's time we did somethin' for another one of our old friends. They didn't call us the three Musketeers for nothin'. I know somethin' about him I've never told another soul not even you. He needs our help." 

"Okay, you got it. Oh sorry, Just a minute. I need to take this call. Okay, young man. Yes, Where? Oh, Mike's out there helping? Oh alright. Sure I'll get out to the DD. Now? Well, I've had a steak waitin' on me. Oh what the heck. Mike's taking the Jeep into his friend's shop? Okay. I'll go pick up the girls. Oh Mike has them? This is gettin' a might confusing. Okay then.  I'll be right out there. You sure they both are alright? Okay see you in a few."

Laura took one look at her friend and knew there was trouble. "What's going on? Does this have something to do with the young woman out at the ranch? Her friend nodded his head. I had a feeling. Tell you what. Is it alright if I ride along? I have a story to tell you and since you are a lawman you are sworn to secrecy, got it?" The sheriff nodded and growled a bit as he got up and left his now cold steak. He threw a few bills on the table before he and Laura walked out the door. 

Lill couldn't hear all of the conversation, but she heard the words young woman and ranch. She went to the back office to call K.R. Something was wrong and she wanted her money now. It was way past time to get her cut and get out of this rinky dink town and live her life in the city.

Mike had loaded up Allie's Jeep on his trailer, taken the Jeep to his friend's repair shop and was on his way out to the DD ranch. Both girls were talking a mile a minute. They made Mike smile, but something they were saying soon made Mike 
more serious. 


"You say it was a big old white car? A Packard, maybe? I saw that car this morning. It stuck out like a sore thumb in our little town. I never found out who it belonged to. Okay, here we are ladies. Glad I could be of service. I'll let you know when your ride is done. Got my number? Good." Mike was about to leave when he saw Josh come running out of the house. "Hey wait up! Are you girls sure you are alright? Good. Haylee, where is the nearest drivers license bureau? I need to get a Real ID to fly back to Illinois. Oh good. There's one in your town? Cool. Okay, can you or Mike give me a ride into town? Sorry, Allie. I've got to do this. I'll explain to you later."

As Josh was getting into Mike's big truck the sheriff and Laura came driving up to the house. The sheriff gave his siren a couple of rounds and got out of the car. He  said, "Probably better not anybody be leavin' just yet. Seems to be a bit of talkin' that needs to be done. Yeah, that means you too, young man. Just hold your horses."

The neighbor was getting all excited as he watched the new and interesting commotion through the fence. "Hee hee, finally the sheriff is kicking those people off the ranch!" He and his wife could get their money. Finally! He ran the half mile back to his house. It was way past time to call  K.R. "We are going to get you a diamond collar little one. Just you wait and see."


2 comments:

  1. I reallize that the Real ID isn't a law yet because of Covid, but I really needed it to be one in the story! Josh has to leave, sorry folks. But like all good characters, I'm sure he will be back. lol

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...