Tuesday, September 28, 2021

A Big White Car Ran The Jeep Off The Road!

 "Oh look! Haylee left her keys laying on the table. She's not going to get too far without them," I'll run them out to her. I want to go into the city. I need to check out these bearer bonds. So I'll be awhile. While I'm gone would you please throw away that dog toy? It's heavy and dirty and I don't want it around. I don't know why you gave her such a thing anyway."

Josh said, "Okay, while you are gone I have  some things to do too. I thought you gave that ugly thing to the dog. I have no idea where she got it, but I'll throw it away. Bring something good home to eat, miss rich lady," Josh ducked to avoid getting hit with a wet rag that Allie had been using and grinned good naturedly. "Allie ran outside to give the keys to Haylee. Haylee laughed and said, "Thanks so much. A car just doesn't start without these things. I'm really sorry for what happened in there." Allie grinned and said, "I'm the one who should apologize. I probably gave you a headache." "No no, I'm fine. Okay, I had better get back into town. Where are you headed? ""I'm going to go into the city to see if these bearer bonds are worth what you think they might be. Hey, do you want to come along? You just haven't lived until you ride in a Jeep. They are the best." "Sure, well I am game. My errands can wait. Let's go. So if you think your Jeep is so great, can I drive? I have an investment firm I'd like to take you to. What do you think?"

 "Well, sure if you think you can handle it. Now it's not some prissy ride. You need a strong back and no complaining. I think maybe it needs a tune up. It's pretty old, but I don't think my Uncle Bill cared about the bumps and potholes. I get to choose the music, okay?" "Well I don't know about that. I love Morgan Wallen music, so you have to like country if you want to be my friend," she laughed. "No way! I love Morgan Wallen. Crank it up girl, and let's see if I can drive this thing. Let's stop in town and get a drink to take with us. Okay?"


The girls were having a great time singing along with their favorite singer. Allie said, "I have his double album Dangerous? Don't you just love it?"
Haylee said, "Yeah, speaking of dangerous, have you noticed that we have a big old white car following us? He just keeps getting closer and closer. When I speed up, he speeds up. Do you know that guy?"
Allie said, "I can't see good. Slow down and I'll see if I can see his face."


"Oh no! Hang on Allie! He's trying to run us off the road. Is this thing a four wheel drive, 'cause I think I'm gonna need it. Here we go!"

Allie yelled, "I hope you are a good driver, girl, because I see deer down there. Whoa! Well that was a miracle. We didn't hurt the deer and we aren't injured. Oh, are you alright? Sorry should have asked if you were okay. Where is that white car? I'm going to call the sheriff." 
Haylee said, "Umm, I think you need to call a tow truck. This old Jeep of yours isn't going anywhere."
"What? Why? Start it up."
"Sorry, Allie, but the wheel came off on the ride down the ditch. We need some help before you call the sheriff. We can have someone come take your Jeep into town and then maybe call Josh to come and get us? My car is there so we have wheels."


Josh was getting ready to walk back to the mine that he had seen. The mine was boarded up and signs saying dangerous, but he wondered about the picture on one end of it. There was a picture nailed to an old board of an old man. It said DD so it belonged to the ranch. "I probably shouldn't go in there, but I'm curious on what I'll find. Oh wait, I had better throw that old dog toy away before the princess yells at me," he grinned. He grabbed the dirty old toy to throw it away when he thought, "I'm going to open this thing up. It feels like rocks to me. Weird."
He tore the old cloth off the dog toy and let out a whistle. "Oh my gosh. Maybe she is a rich lady. Holy cow! I think this is silver. I have seen silver ore before when I was in college. It looks like a dirty rock but sometimes it has a thin silver thread running through it. You know they often find silver in a gold mine. Doggone it. I have to take this to the assay office in the city and have it looked at. If it's what I think it is, Miss Allie never has to work a day in her life. Even if the mine is played out, she has this and I think someone painted a silver frame with gold. I wonder if that old guy has hidden stuff all over the place. As soon as Allie gets back I'm going to have her take me to the city. This is a mystery that needs solving."


Just then Josh's new cell phone rang. It was Allie talking so fast and so loud all he could hear was 'wreck my Jeep and sheriff.' "Hey! Slow down. Are you alright? What's going on? A white car ran you off the road? You are sure you are okay. Yes I'll call the towing company. I'll have to Google it though unless Haylee knows someone that could do it. Is she okay? Good. She does? Okay give me the number and I'll call for you. I don't have a vehicle so I can't come. Okay exactly where are you? Yes I'm glad I got a new phone too. I will call them then I have another call to make. I'm going to call the sheriff. Which direction did the white car go? Oh, yes, I'm sorry. You were a little busy to be watching out the back window. Sorry. Okay stay in the Jeep until the tow truck comes, okay? Don't cry. We will get you a rental car while the Jeep is getting fixed. What do you mean you don't have insurance on it? Well, don't worry about it. I have a feeling everything is going to be alright. We can come up with enough money to fix the Jeep."
Josh was steaming mad! He knew exactly who the driver or at least the owner of the white car was. His very own father. "This has gone on long enough. She could have been hurt! You are going to be so sorry dear old dad. I can't even believe I'm related to you let alone your son. I am so ashamed of you. But I'm going to keep my cool, call the towing company then the sheriff. I'll figure this out yet. Man what a day! A scuffle in the study, silver ore in a dog toy and now this. I'm going to have gray hair before I'm twenty-five.

The girls were so happy to see the towing company coming down the road, but it wasn't a towing company. It was a huge black truck and trailer. What next?



"It's ok, Allie. This is Mike. I've known him all my life. He's one of the good guys. He will take it to the shop for you to get it fixed. He knows a good one. It's okay. Everything is going to be okay."

4 comments:

  1. Bearer bonds, silver ore what else will be discovered? I think a big surprise in the future. And yes, that Mike is one of the good guys. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting. Im sure enjoying this series. Get well Lu. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It’s such fun to write and to read the comments

      Delete
  3. Wow they can't seem to catch a break. Hopefully Josh's Dad is about to get told the truth about his mean schemes. Glad Haylee and Allie were ok , what a scary ordeal.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...