Tuesday, December 14, 2021

The Old Miner Called Her Aaliyah!

 Allie was really disappointed that Josh wouldn't come back, but she knew that he was right. She was a big girl and she could handle it. She couldn't figure out how that will got outside, but she had picked it up and put it in the big desk in her study. She thought that she might buy a safe someday. "Actually, I can buy anything I want to. I should go back to that old room and look for that journal. I know I didn't put it there. I put it on the desk. This is the strangest house I have ever lived in. I also should go visit that old miner. I wonder just who he is. Maxine said that he was Josh's grandfather, however, she said we were cousins. She said a lot of things the other day when she was upset. She is like a lot of other folks I've known. People often get upset and frustrated when they can't control what's going on around them. I would never kick her off my land. That miner said she could live there forever. Okay, that settles it. I'm going into town and pay him a visit. She went downstairs, picked up her new handbag and the keys to the Jeep.

 Her leaving the ranch did not go unnoticed. "Hey, she's leaving. Let's go over there and see if we can't find that necklace. I've always heard that is my family heirloom and it belongs to me, not to her. Hurry up! I don't care what the sheriff said. I'm going over there. Are you with me or not? Alright then. Let's get going!"

As Allie walked towards his room she saw that he was sitting in his easy chair almost like he was waiting for her. She tapped on his open door and said, "Hi, my name is Allie. I live on the ranch that you used to own. Do you have time to visit for a little while?"

"Hello, Aaliyah, of course, I do. Come in, come in. There's a chair over there in the corner. Sit down and get comfortable. I'll call and see if they can't bring us in some snacks and a drink. Would you like that?"

Allie said, "You called me Aaliyah. No one has called me that since my mother died. Well, her brother, Uncle Bill, did in his video will. So how do you know my name? I think you have a lot to tell me, sir. I can do without the snacks. I want some answers. The sooner the better."

The old man laughed and smiled. He said, "So everything I have heard about you is true. You tell it like it is and then some. Just like somebody else I used to know." Allie frowned and said, "And just who is that? I'm getting a little tired of all these innuendos with no answers, just more questions. Just who are you anyway?"

A lady walked in and said, "I'll tell you exactly who he is. He's my friend, my dear. Let's go a little easier and kinder. Do you remember me? I'm Laura. Rex and I have been friends for over fifty years. I knew his mother, his grandparents and heard about his great grandparents. That's how it is in a small town. Everyone knows everyone. Your city ways have to be scaled down a bit. You are in new and probably  a little bit scary territory, but if you will give us a chance we will help you get settled into your new home. Oh look here comes some goodies. Do you want a cookie, dear? No? I have something to show Rex before we get started on this inquisition you seem bent on having. Rex look at this. This is the newest member of our family. This is Winnie. Is she not the cutest thing you ever saw? I call her my therapy dog. Allie, look at this sweet baby.  Maybe that's what you need. A pet of some kind would settle your nerves and make you smile more often. It's probably what a lot of people need in this day and age."


                                                              *********
Josh had a background in geology. He had studied it extensively in college, but he had decided to go in a different direction after he graduated. He could remember reading how the old prospectors had discovered silver. It was often found in gold, copper and lead mines. The western men would test for silver by heating the ore and dipping it into water. Some metal comes to the surface in a greasy scum if there is silver. Technology had changed drastically over the years. He thought, 'So have the prices of silver. At one time it was down to forty cents an ounce. I think it's about twenty dollars an ounce now.' He thought he might be lucky enough to find out in one day if Allie's mine actually still had silver in it. He had found the old mine abandoned, but he also had found this chunk of ore in a dog toy and some silver picture frames in the old house. It seemed like to him that the guy that said he was his grandfather, the old miner, had a secret. He had a feeling he knew that secret. That mine probably still had a vein of silver that may be hidden by copper or gold. Wouldn't that be something? Allie would be so rich she could do anything she wanted, buy anything she wanted. She'd probably buy her own jet and travel the world. He probably would be left in the dust as a faint memory."
For some reason his memories of his old roommate came back. He could remember going to his house for a meal. Did his mother have real silverware? Surely not. She was never really well off.  He shook his head thinking, "I think she did. It looked black and funny like she hadn't cleaned or polished it. Silver becomes black because of hydrogen sulfide that is in the air. A chemical reaction turns it black. Where did she get that silverware? She sure wasn't rich. She was a waitress in that small town. Her tips couldn't be that great. She lived in a small cabin. I wish I could have talked to her that day I went to her cabin. Justin got to go to college because of his good grades and working his way through with as many jobs as he could find. Maybe I should call Justin or maybe I should just go see him. His politics and mine don't jive, but we are still friends. Yup, that's what I'll do. I'll call him after I get off here and see if  he happens to be in Springfield on Christmas break.
                                                                             ********
The packrats heard footsteps and a man giving orders to a woman. There were noises of nails being removed in the old room. "Quick cover up the necklace. I think someone is trying to tear up the floor. I need that necklace to help me sleep at night. The beautiful silver and diamonds soothe my nerves. These babies keep me up all night as it is. Quick, husband, before they find it! I mean it now. Spit out that green and white paper and move my sparkles!"


There was a young boy that had climbed to the top of his favorite hiding place to escape his chores for just a few minutes. When he looked towards the neighboring Double D ranch he saw strangers go into the new lady's house. She wasn't home. "Oh oh they are in trouble again. I heard Dad say that the sheriff let them go if they promised never to bother her again. He scrambled down the tree as fast as he could. "Mom! Hey Mom! Guess what!"


"Ryan, do you have your chores done? I want you to watch your little sister for me while I run over to introduce myself to the new neighbor woman. What? Oh that's not good."

3 comments:

  1. The little boy in the tree is the key to this story. He could essentially put the kibosh to the whole plot of the neighbors' and Mrs. Packrat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Allie all she wants is answers . Seems like people are always after her fortune.
    If Allie and Josh could just speak long enough they may figure all this out.
    Oh , good , so glad the young boy saw them in Allie's house , he may be able to get them locked up or run off for good.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...