Tuesday, March 8, 2022

The Dance

Allie was so excited about going to the dance with Josh, but she sure wasn't going to tell him that she was. As she was getting ready she looked out the window and saw those five horses that the children brought to her ranch for care. "Those kids were so caring and did what they thought they should do, but I just can't have a rescue ranch at the Double D. It seems to me that there is one that I have seen in a magazine or on line. I'll have to look tomorrow and see where they are and how far away they are. If they are a not for profit like I remember I will refer folks to them. I won't be like the kids, I will call them first and get some particulars. After she finished getting ready she went to the kitchen and noticed the magazine that she remembered. "Ah, yes. Cupcake the sweet donkey that they had rescued. Yes, I will call them tomorrow and see how they are set up and funded."


As Allie pulled up into a parking place by the big dance hall, she heard strains of country western music as lots of folks were walking through the door. "It's pretty neat that even though I'm from the city I have always liked country western music. Okay, I guess I'm going to do this. Here goes nothing." As she walked towards the door Josh was standing there waiting for her. "Hey, girl. Let's go have some fun."





She laughed and said, "I agree. Let's liven this place up a little." When they walked in she realized they didn't need to liven things up. It was jumping and full of people, both young and old. People had brought children to a dance?! Allie even saw some people that she knew. This was the place to be in her new home town.. Josh led her over to the tables that were heaped with food. There were tables with punch and soft drinks as well. She told him she'd rather find a table first if they could. Then they could sit after dancing. He led her to the back and found a table. They sat for awhile then decided to dance. They found out that they fit perfectly and he didn't even step on her new boots. Josh couldn't believe that she was the perfect dance partner. "Maybe someday..." He got tapped on the shoulder and was asked if he could cut in.. Well, he certainly hadn't expected that to happen. This was his night with Allie! Allie grinned and said, "Sure, I'd love to dance." Josh found himself standing in the middle of the dance floor with no one to dance with. Then he heard a familiar voice say, "Hey, Josh are you here all by yourself? It seems like forever since I've seen you. How about a dance?"


Josh looked for Allie and saw her laughing and dancing up a storm with some local yokal. He smiled at Haylee and said, "Sure, why not?"
About the time Haylee and Josh started dancing Allie saw them dancing to a step she'd never seen before. They were good together. "What is going on here? I thought Haylee had been reassigned to a Federal job in D.C. But there she is, my so called friend dancing with my guy. Good thing I brought my own car." She made her apologies to the man she was dancing with and left the dancing to others. As she was heading out of town she saw an ambulance in her rear view mirror with it's lights on and heard the siren's shrill warning. She pulled over to the side of the road to let it pass. She said, "Whoever is in that ambulance is having a worse night than me. I'm going to stop feeling sorry for myself right now." After sitting for a bit she pulled back out on the highway and back to the ranch.

Josh and Haylee got themselves a small plate of snacks and something cold to drink. Josh had seen Allie leave. "Well I have done it again. I can't win with that girl, he thought. "So what brings you to town, Haylee. I thought you had moved to D.C."
Haylee said, "I have moved. Didn't you hear? K.R. has gotten released from prison. Some how he got a new trial and is out. He's on parole, though. So they sent me back here to see if he has come looking for you or Rex. I'm hearing chatter that he needs money and will probably contact you or Rex for a hand out. That's why I stopped in here. I saw your car and wanted to warn you. I didn't expect to have fun while I was on the job. Didn't I see Allie? I'd love to catch up with her. I think she was a little upset with me when I left, but it couldn't be helped. So you haven't heard from your dad? Okay then I had better get over to the nursing home and check in with Rex. With what I remember he has rather frail health. He doesn't need the stress of K.R. breathing down his neck. Oh okay. Sure, lead the way. We can both go see that the nurses know not to let K.R. in."
When they got to the nursing home they both saw the sheriff's patrol car sitting there. "I wonder what's going on here? Surely K.R. hasn't been here already. I just got the news yesterday., said Haylee. When they walked in they saw the sheriff. He was on the phone to Laura. "Yes, Laura. He's on the way to the hospital in Master City. They think it was another stroke. Can you and Paul leave and keep Pat company? She's insisting on going there, but I think it would be a good idea for her to have you and Paul there for her. You just never know at his age and with the history of having had a stroke before. Thanks, girl. You are a good friend. I'll tell her that you guys are coming." He looked up and saw Josh and Haylee and didn't look a bit happy. "Josh said, "What's going on, sheriff? Is it K.R.? Is he causing my grandfather trouble?"
The sheriff said, "The nurse found him passed out on the floor. She called the ambulance then me. She had seen K.R.'s name on your granddad's cell phone. Evidently just seeing his name was too much for him. He's on his way to Master City hospital now. Laura and Paul are coming to take Pat over there to be with him. She's in no condition to drive herself." 


" I got a call that there was a letter addressed to K.R. that folks didn't know what to do with. I told them to send it to my office. It should be there by tomorrow.  They have closed up his Springfield office. I guess no one has gotten paid and no rent paid on the office, so he's probably hurting pretty bad for money. He hasn't called you? You know if he has, I need to know, Josh. Now is not the time to be hiding anything from me. Haylee, what are you doing here? I thought you were in D.C." Haylee explained the situation to the sheriff. He was not happy. He had just proposed to Maxine. His world was once again right with the world; now this. Maybe he should retire and live on top a mountain somewhere with his true love. Life would be so easy...

Josh felt like his day couldn't get any worse. He had planned on having a wonderful time at the dance with Allie. She found someone else to dance with, but when she saw him dancing with Haylee she left, now his grandfather might have had another stroke because of his con man dad. On top of all of  that the sheriff acted like he knew something he didn't.

"Sheriff, I haven't heard a word about my dad until just a few minutes ago. Haylee says he's out of prison and maybe headed this way. That's why she's in town. Allie is mad at me once again because she saw me dancing with Haylee. I know she won't answer the phone if I call her. Would you please call her and explain to her what's happening? I don't think I could take one more bad thing today."
The sheriff was tired and getting a headache, but he knew what Josh was going through. Maxine had taught him a lot about love. It wasn't easy that's for sure. "Sure, kid. I'll make the call then the rest is up to you. I've probably got a long day tomorrow."

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy! The dance went sour that's for sure. Allie and Josh need to learn a lot, don't they? There's an old saying: What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I don't think that will ever be true for those two. Let's hope that K.R, doesn't get close or things could really get bad. Let's see who is at the ranch all by themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good grief thise two just cant get it together. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. My my my , Allie and Josh.. Will they ever get things figured out.
    Glad Haylee came back to help keep things from getting worse.
    Will that K.R. ever get what he deserves ?
    Excitement and Mystery....

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...