Friday, May 27, 2022

Belle And Her Mom Decide To Take The Camper

 "Hey, Mom, I'm bored. School is over and there's absolutely nothing to do. I think we should go on vacation," 
"Oh you think so, huh? Well that sounds pretty good. Well, let's think about where we'd like to go. I'll look through some magazines. Maybe we could go on a camping trip. I think that would be fun. What do you think about that? Getting outdoors and the fresh air, maybe some fishing. No? Well, where do you want to go?"

"Mom, you forget everything! Don't you remember when I was just a little kid we went to that ranch and I got to ride horses? I think that would be fun. Let's go to a place where they teach you how to ride for real. We probably could even take the camper if you really want to, but I read that those places have cabins and swimming pools and even places to shop. I know you like to shop."

 "Oh, and you don't? Belle's mom laughed. Okay, I'll see when I can take some time off and we can look through some magazines and find a place where you can learn to ride a horse 'for real.'"

Belle went to the closet and started going through some of her mom's photo albums. "See? Look. Do you remember now? I was kinda cute back then. Let's go. What do I need to pack? Don't forget to pack snacks. I'm in the mood for some apples and grapes. Do we need to go shopping? I'm going to take Henny . She needs a vacation too."

Belle's mom laughed and said, "Yes, that stuffed chubby chicken can go with us, but she's your responsibility. Don't lose her. I don't think there's another one like her. Now get busy and pack enough clothes for a week. It's generally hot in Texas this time of year so shorts and t-shirts. I should know in a day or two when we can leave. I'm not sure if we have enough fruit for you, but, yes we probably will need to go shopping."

Belle was surprised the next day when her mom said, "It's all set. We can leave tomorrow. I found this cool place in Texas. It's called the Double D Ranch. They have trail rides, they teach proper riding techniques and you can even work with the horses and clean the stalls if you want to. It's a working ranch and they teach you all kinds of things. Is that okay with you? If you want to take the camper we had better get started packing, Girlie."

And pack they did. Belle didn't realize it, but the trip would take over fourteen hours so they would have to stop several times along the way. It would seem like it took forever. At least it did to Belle.

                                                                          *****

    Carrie Belle made a leap of faith and jumped onto Shadow's back. She was scared to death. "I'm going to fall off, Shadow. I'm so scared." Shadow whinnied and let her know that she should curl her claws into his mane. It wouldn't hurt him and she would be safe. He walked carefully out of the water and then walked quickly into the tall grass so they wouldn't be seen. It was nighttime, but they had to be careful. They arrived at an old house and Shadow said, "This is the end of our destination, Carrie Belle. I have friends coming to meet us here. This is where the humans are dumping animals. We must stop them. Yes, it's dangerous, but we must be brave. There is safety in numbers. We have to show them that even the smallest of us can do great big things. Quiet now, let's go behind the house. The others might be here already."


                                                                         ****
Allie watched Josh and the man for awhile and thought to herself that the man looked familiar. "Well, I don't have time to waste today. I have to go and order some feed for the animals, then I'm going to find a lawyer. It costs a lot to run the Double D and I haven't had any money coming in, but I've sure had a lot going out. Hopefully we will have some reservations come in or I'll go broke before I know it. We have to stop the dumping of animals. That will help me out. Feeding them and vet bills are expensive. Poor things. Who abandons and mistreats animals? I just don't understand it."

When she walked into the Feed Store the man behind the counter said, "Hi there, Allie. I've been meaning to call you. I'd like to have a payment on the feed and supplies that you've been ordering. I don't mind carrying you when you are just starting up, but the bill is getting pretty high. Do you think you can take care of that today?"


Allie said, "Yes of course. I'm sorry. There's been a lot going on out there. Here's my credit card through the bank. Run it through and then I'd like several other items. Feed, special vitamins, and I need some tack for the horses. It looks like I need about five horse blankets, some saddles from small to medium. The saddles that were there when I took over the ranch were just for grown men. While you are running the card I'm going to have a look around and see what all I need delivered."

As she was looking at all the different kinds of feeds and tack she smiled to herself. "Boy, I used to think a horse ate carrots and apples and that was it besides oats. It's a whole different world when you really own a ranch. And tack for them! So much to choose from. I think I'm going to go back to the ranch and get the foreman and have him come in to help me. Matter of fact I'll call him now and have him meet me here."

"Allie, I'm so sorry, but the bank declined your card. Have you changed banks? I ran it through the reader twice. Maybe you should go to the bank and see what's up."

Allie felt sick. The former bank president was a crook, but there was a new man in charge now. Surely she couldn't have that kind of bad luck twice. "I'll go over there right now. I'm so sorry and embarrassed. I'll take care of the bill as soon as I talk to the banker."

The older man looked out the window and thought, "I've lived in this little town for many years, but today I just feel like somethin' ain't right. I could swear I just saw K.R. in a car parked down the street. I know for a fact that he's in jail. And there goes the little gal that owns the Double D now. She don't look none too happy; that's a fact. I just feel somethin' is goin' on; that's for sure." He sat at the booth watching out the window as the girl went into the bank. "Hmm, maybe Bill didn't leave her as much money as I heard he did. Hope everything is alright. She seems like a nice enough gal. At least that's what folks are saying. Hey, Lill, could you bring me a warm up?"


Justin and Josh walked into the lawyer's office to see what could be done about breaking the will that Bill had made which stipulated that Josh and Allie live on the Double D for one year. If they did not the ranch would go to the next of kin.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure K.R. is in jail, isn't that right? So the other man is Justin that Josh is talking to. Didn't Allie think they looked a lot alike at Christmas time? Why is her bank card being declined? Oh and Belle and her mom are taking their camper. Hopefully they will make it to the Double D without any problems

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my !! Poor Allie .. I wish Josh would get this figured out , he can't let Allie loose the Double D Ranch .

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...