Tuesday, June 21, 2022

The Old Miner Makes A Promise

When Allie heard Josh's voice she had turned too quickly and had injured her ankle. She cried out and said she thought she had broken her leg. Josh quickly picked her up and put her in the back seat of his car. Justin drove as fast as he safely could. Ally could not stop crying. "Josh, why does it seem that I'm always having bad luck? It seems like every time I turn around something happens. Just think about it. Lately somebody has been dumping animals on my ranch, the other day my bank credit card was declined and then there's you! You don't want any part of me or the ranch. And that crazy video will of Uncle Bill's. Am I going to lose the only chance I've ever had at happiness? Oh I just want to give up. Maybe I'll catch a slow boat to China or sail the seven seas. Maybe I'll just move back to Springfield and be a waitress again. Ohh, I'm so sad and besides that my leg is killing me!"
The staff at the hospital soon had her leg x-rayed and she was whisked off to surgery. She had a broken ankle, not a broken leg. However, it did need surgery. The doctor told her she would be laid up for about six or eight weeks. Crutches were her near future, not working with horses and running a Dude Ranch.


Josh had been sitting by Allie's bed until she woke up from surgery. He was so worried about her. He and Justin had come to the conclusion that she needed a lot of help not just since her injury, but all the time. A big ranch like the Double D took more than one person to run it. Justin had once again gone back to the lawyer to see what could be done to break the will. He wanted Josh and Allie to own the ranch together. He would gladly sign his share away so that the two of them could be partners. What was one year? Nothing in the grand scheme of things. He wanted a life of politics and helping others. He also wanted to get to know his mother better. She had been hiding so many secrets from him especially the fact that he had a twin brother! She probably had good reasons for separating them, but he would give her time and try not to be angry at her. He had found out that she had moved back to the small town she had lived in for many years. She told him that she was tired of running away from her problems. She was going to face up to them and get on with her life. "I wonder if Mom would like to move back to the city with me? Maybe we could get to know each other better. I have a big house. She could even move in with me if she would like to. Yeah, I think that's a great idea. I'll run that by her after I hear back from Blake."
Josh's grandfather knocked softly on Allie's door and asked, "Is it alright if I come in and see to this young lady?" Josh was surprised to see his grandfather but said, "Sure. She's going to be okay, but is going to be so grouchy. I'm going to have my hands full," he laughed.
"Oh, are you going to stay at the Double D and help out?" asked Rex. "Yes, I sure am. I have it all figured out. I can do two things as once. I am going to make one of the cabins into an office for me. I love geology and want to continue doing what I love for a living.  That way I will always be there for Allie when she needs me. Did you hear about the conditions of Bill's will?"
"Yes, I did. How in tarnation did he get that in his head anyway? I never would have given him that ranch if I'd known he was gonna do that."
"We'll never know, I guess, Grandpa, but it is what it is. We'll make a go of it. We fight like cats and dogs, but I do love her you know." His grandfather laughed and said, "The whole town knows that, boy. Pat and I go to bingo at the nursing home once a week. We've all been taking bets to see how long it was going to take you to find that very thing out." He gave his grandson a hug and said, "Well, it looks like you have finally become your own man. I'm proud of you son. Pat and I will be out to help with anything that you two need."
Allie opened her eyes and said, "Well, aren't the two of you something? You think you can just figure out my life for me without me having a say? I'm tell you what, Mr. Josh. You cannot just take over my life like I'm a child. I'll have you know..." With Josh's gentle loving kiss she was not able to finish her sentence and Rex quietly walked out the door with a grin on his face. "Yep, that boy takes after his old grandpa that's for sure. They'll make a great team. I think I'll go home and tell Pat I'm going to be gone for awhile. I have an idea that just might make those kids' lives a little easier."


The sheriff finally got the whole story out of the crooks he had arrested. K.R. was behind the whole thing. He was blackmailing them and giving them instructions from his prison cell on how to run Allie off the ranch. The sheriff had made phone calls to the prison warden and had him check the visitor log. Sure enough Allie's old neighbors had been visiting K.R. once a month. K.R. was put in solitary confinement never to have contact with those two or he would be spending many lonely years in the pokey.
But unknown to Josh and Allie things were hopping out at the Double D. Their story was not finished

3 comments:

  1. The Double D Ranch has the potential to have many sequels. We all have a story don't we? What is the old miner's? I thought we knew everything there was to know. How about that kiss? Well at least she quit yelling at him. Poor guy. I hope he finds she loves him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling she will soon find out when she has to depend on him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay ! Finally Allie and Josh seem to be on the same page. Hope the Double D will now reach the stars.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...