Friday, August 5, 2022

The Journal

 Marlee followed her mom to the big house that her mom called the main house. "I wonder how many houses there are if this big one is the main one." She looked all around what she called a farm and saw that there were other houses. There was a really long house with a big porch on it and then there were several other houses that were pretty small. She didn't ask her mom any questions because she could tell that she was upset for some reason. " I wonder what Mom meant when she said she bought a ranch." She stood a little to the side of her mom and realized that her dad was there too and another couple. They looked like cowboys that she had seen pictures of. "Cool," she thought. "This is fun, but no one has a happy face." She was told to go into the house and sit down on the couch. She immediately saw a dog and wondered if it was friendly. A lady smiled and told her if she wanted to pet him she could. Her dad patted her shoulder and told her to be a good girl. The grownups had a lot to talk about and when they were done they would come and get her. She smiled and said that she would read her book and the dog jumped up on the couch and laid her head on Marlee's lap.

"You are a good dog. I wonder what your name is. I'm not going to interrupt the grownups, but I think I will call you Willow. Be a good dog, okay? I want to look at this book I bought. It was in a box of junk, but I think Dad put it in the car. That's ok, no, you can't chew on it. Now be good while I look at some of these pictures. There was one in here that looked a little like me; weird, but it did. I'll show Mom when she gets done talking. Look, Willow, there's writing I can't read a lot yet, but there's more pictures. Oh look there's a little girl just about my age, but that picture is really old. I wonder why her picture is in this book."


 There's a lot of pictures of horses and cows too. I wish I could read better. I will be able to someday when I go to school more. Oh, Willow, look! There's that little girl wearing the same dress as the other one I saw. Who is she, I wonder. Boy do I have a lot to ask my mom about. Maybe she will get happier and read to me out of this book. She will probably be able to tell me who this little girl is."

****

There were grownups in the kitchen that Marlee was not aware of. The auctioneer, Allie's daughter, Steff, and her daughter and family, Marlee's mom and dad and Sarah and J.D. the other couple that had bid on the ranch. The voices were getting louder and Marlee's mom said, "We had better lower our voices. I don't want Marlee getting upset over this. Steff said, "I thought the ranch had been sold. What's this all about? You bid by mistake? How does that even happen? These folks want the ranch then give it to them. I want to go home as soon as I can. You are kidding me. I can't go home because the sale isn't final yet? I cannot believe this is happening to me. So who has the money to buy this ranch? Neither one of you? Then sell it to someone else. Today!"

Both couples looked at the auctioneer to hear what he had to say. "Only the highest bidder is the owner. The only way to make a sale today is for both of these couples to form a partnership. If they go into town and get the paperwork done then you can go home, but not today. None of you can leave until the paperwork is done and signed; plus checks written and cleared from the banks. There has to be a deed search to make sure there are no other people intitled to a share of this place and of course, the taxes have to be paid which is the major issue here. Then you have to hire a person to come out and make sure that the boundaries of the ranch are true. You certainly don't want someone to sue you over an acre or two of land. There is a lot to consider and do, so you had better get together and calmly discuss this and come to a decision that all of you can live with. The sooner the better in my estimation. I would like this settled today just like the rest of you."

****

David was on his way out of the airport with high hopes that the jewels that he had discovered at the Double D ranch would bring him a pretty penny. He patted the little bag that held his future and smiled. He could just see it now. His house on the beach and beautiful white sand. "Oh yes. It's a good thing that I have a lead on an underground jewelry fence. They say she pays the best. I'm not too cool with going downtown at night, but it will be well worth it. Oh rats,  my G.P.S. says that I have to go down this alley and then get back behind this tall boarded up fence. Yikes! There's a really big dog back there. I'm not liking this, but it's cool. Just keep.. No!"

2 comments:

  1. I don't have journals from long ago, but I do have autograph books of my mom's when she was in high school and scrapbooks from seventy years ago with pictures such as these. Now David. I have a feeling he's in big trouble. Maybe greed is the root of a dog bite? lol Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the answers are in the book. Shame on David!!!

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...