Tuesday, August 2, 2022

The Auctioneer's Wife Is Headed For Trouble

 She was sick of taking care of kids. She was sick of being broke all the time, but most of all she was sick of the Texas heat. They didn't even have a pool. She had to load up those boys with all their swimming stuff which took forever to take them to the public pool. For that matter who knew what all was in the water. Yuk. She told them if they cleaned their rooms she would take them this afternoon. "That was a mistake. All I hear them do is fight. Well let them fight. I'm done messing with housework this afternoon. Maybe I'll meet someone interesting at the pool today. She decided to scroll through her phone and skimmed through the silly memes and wondered if anyone ever put anything interesting on social media. There was an old lady that put her stories up two or three times a week. Where does she get her ideas? I could give her some ideas; plenty. I'd send her pictures of my ne'er-do-well husband. He calls himself an auctioneer. Right. He barely makes enough money to feed us and pay the rent for the shack we live in. I want to live in Illinois. I know I have some family there that could give us a good start with housing and a decent job for my prince charming. Maybe I should get a job. I've got four boys. What would I do with them if I work? Wait. What is this? Hmm, another old lady wanting women to work as part time delivery people. She doesn't say what you have to deliver. My luck it would be 65" television sets. Choose your own hours. Must have a valid drivers license and own a vehicle. Whoa! That salary is more than my dear husband makes in a week if he's lucky. There's got to be something off about this. Why not check this out? I'll put a little makeup on and go see about it on the way to the pool."


                                                                           *******

"I'm not taking your box of stuff. There was somebody putting something in your box, little girl. I was just trying to help. I need to check on my mother so if you are alright I'm going to go see to her. Are you okay? Where is your mother? Oh, there's mine! Hey, Mom! Over here!"

   
"Mom, what did you do? What? You bought this thing? Why? Do you have a clue how much it must weigh? Oh my goodness, how much did you pay for it? No you did. not.! I can't believe it! If and how we get this thing in the trunk, where are you going to put it? Well, I think we should probably worry about it now. Yes, I know you are the mom. Okay, do you think you can help me lift this thing? I'll go get the car and bring it over as close as I can. Wait here and please don't buy anything else." She did have to chuckle on her way to the car. "Mom and auctions are a deadly duo. She always buys something goofy. Elephant umbrella stands in Texas. Yup, that's my mom for you."


                                                   
  Marlee smiled and said, "Well, I only had four dollars and spent half of it on this stuff. I don't think there is anything good in here but this old book. It has pictures in it and I want to keep it." She's over by the barn for some reason. She and dad have been over there for a long time. I want to go swimming. It's really hot here in Texas." She looked up and the lady was walking away. "Well, that's weird. Where did she go?"

Marlee watched the lady walk away and start talking to an older lady when she heard her mother's voice. It sounded like she had been crying. "Marlee, did you buy this box of stuff? How did you do that? You didn't have a bidding card. You used mine? How much did you spend? Two dollars? Okay. Well, it seems you and I are the winners of the auction today. Daddy and I have a lot to talk about. It seems that I accidentally bought this ranch and now we have to go and do a lot of talking and thinking. We need to talk with the owner for one thing. I'm glad you got yourself something to drink. I'm sure we all could use a good meal and a nice hotel room. Who was that lady you were talking to? You don't know? Now you know I always tell you not to talk to strangers. Oh. Did she tell you what it was? Well, you can look if you want to, I have to get your dad and go talk to the lady that owns this place and other people that want this ranch too. It's a mess, Marlee. You are so lucky you aren't a grownup. Enjoy being a little girl for as long as you can. You can look through that box later. Come along with me and we can all go to the main house together. Yes, you can bring your book."

                                                                         *****

The old woman had been hiding behind some parked cars. It was hard to see what was going on. "I wish that little girl would hurry up and get out of there. I need that watch back. It's pure silver and will bring me a pretty penny for sure. And besides that, I have to get back to the booth. My old man will probably give my stuff away. He doesn't have a clue what I do to keep him in all the stuff he wants. I need to hire some people that I can trust besides my two partners." She chuckled and thought, "That's a good one. If they trust me they are losers. I'm out to make a bundle, not to be a nice old lady." She looked down when she felt the vibration on her phone. "Ah, here's a sucker now. Wants a job, huh? I'll promise her a big fat wage then disappear before she can collect her wages." She sent a text and looked up and wouldn't you know it, there was a man picking up the box! "No, no, no, no! I have to have that watch back."

"What are you doing crouching down by my car and why do you want that box? It's not yours by the looks of thing so how do you know there's a watch in it. Wait just a minute there sister. I know who you are! I've been looking for you."


"Will you be quiet? I need to see where that guy is taking that box. I have to have it back. Make yourself useful. I could make it worthwhile. You know one hand washes another. That sort of thing."

2 comments:

  1. An auction is like a small city; full of stories. You go there thinking I might buy something if the price is reasonable and stay focused on your item when in the parking lot there is a mob boss and in front of you is a little girl that is standing up for her rights and a ranch owner that thinks her ranch is sold, but in fact may not be. Now I've planted the seed, You will never go to another auction again without thinking of the Double D! lol lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Marlees Parents ended up with the Ranch , what will they do? Seems to be lots of thiefs at the Auction all trying to make lots of money off of other people.. I hope the woman isn't able to get the watch back from the box and that Marlee gets a treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...