Friday, October 28, 2022

Two Hearts Broken; Two Hearts To Be Reunited

 Juliette had won enough awards to help him build up his savings account over the years. She was stubborn for sure, but she was made of strong stuff. She was not only beautiful, but produced a set of twins which was rare. He felt like the time was right to buy his own place. Dude ranches were becoming a popular vacation spot for rich people. He wondered if the Double D ranch was still in business. "I believe I'll take a little trip to Texas and see if the old man wants to sell. He was hurting for money the last time I was there. He sold Juliette to me for a song. Hopefully he will sell the ranch to me as well. I'd take Juliette with me. I can see it now. A Dude Ranch with music, trail rides, good food. If he sells it cheap enough I could buy some good horses. Yes, that's just what I'll do. I'll be raking in the dough and make a name for myself. I won't have to work hard like my brother does. Crazy guy. He's still working as hard as any ranch hand and for what? A dollar or two a day. Says he likes the wide open spaces and the stars in the sky. Stars in the sky. Stars don't pad your bank account, little brother. I have a feeling that yours needs a lot of padding. I'm not liking what I hear about your gambling either. Guess I'll get to packing. Maybe I can help my brother and myself in one trip." With those happy thoughts he walked out to the barn to tell his stubborn but beautiful horse the news. "Hey, filly. You and I are going to Texas to start a new life. Hopefully we can leave tomorrow."


Juliette listened to his plans for her and a new home. She shook her head and snorted. Then backed away and looked out the open barn door. "Hey, what's with you? I thought that you would love to show your stuff to those Texans. You have done a great job in Missouri. Come on. Let's go. You know you were born in Texas. That's where I first saw you and knew that you and I would be friends." He laughed and said, "Well, not at first we weren't You bucked me more times that I can count. Anyway we can start a whole new life and maybe you can find a handsome stallion that suits your fancy. What do you say? Huh?"
He smiled when she walked back and made a soft vibrating sound from her throat. He loved her sweet nickering. "Oh, now it sounds better, does it? You are something else. I'm going in the house and make some calls. If everything goes alright we will be on the road by noon tomorrow."
When he got in the house he got out his suitcase and went to put his scrapbook on the bottom. He had been saving her ribbons and programs for years. The last one he had put in the book was kind of loose. Then they all fell out.  He grinned when he saw it. "That was the day, girl. That was the day." He put his pocket watch in the bottom and shook his head. "No sad thoughts today. I thought I was going to marry that girl, but it just didn't work out." He saw the other programs and thought, "It's okay. We need to get a new start. I guess I'd better make that call first just to make sure this is not just a pipe dream."


                                                                     &&&&&

Madison had cried enough tears to float a boat; probably a battle ship. Her smile was tight and almost hurt her face as she finished her packing. It had been a few years, but the hurt never seemed to go away completely. She had been so young when she first met him. He was handsome and cocky and knew where he was going; to the top. That's what he always told her; to the top. Well, ducky, you made it to the top without me. Your filly meant more to you than I ever did. Once I realized that I should have parted ways, but no. I thought I could change you. I knew better and so did my mom. She tried to tell me about you. Funny thing about it, when I finally broke up with you, you didn't understand why."
 She finished packing her last suitcase. She was headed for Texas. There was a ranch there called the Double D. that she had heard was up for sale. She had done well for herself in the arena on several levels. It was time for her to settle down and do something with her life that would make other folks happy. Dude ranches were becoming the thing that drew people from the east; rich people. Even the political big wigs were going to them. "Aww look at this. Oh my gosh I was so little. That must have been  my very first pony. Teddy. She smiled as she read the writing on the back of the old photo. Maddie's first pony, Teddie. 27" Maddie 18 months old. Wow,  He was only twenty-seven inches tall. We were about the same size. I think I can remember him when I was older. We were best buddies." She turned the photo over in her hands and thought, " I was a cute little thing wasn't I?" 


She looked on her night stand and stared at the young man that broke her heart. "Okay, woman, enough is enough." She picked up the picture and put it in a drawer. "Another day, duckie. Not another day if I have my way about it."
As she sat in her bedroom chair she remembered the horses and the fun. She hoped that someday she could bring joy to another little girl just like she had had growing up. Yes, she needed to buy that ranch if at all possible. As she sat in her chair her memories took her to a place they always did when she allowed them to. She once again was a young girl on a farm with a horse to show and dreams to make come true and they did for the most part; except for him...


1 comment:

  1. The Next Generation sounds as bad as the first generation. More unrequited love. What will happen at the Double D may change Marlee's life. She might find it in the book she bought at the auction over fifty years later.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...