Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Strangers In The Night

She loved the rain, but something didn't seem right about this storm. "I sure hope Mother Nature isn't upset about something. That sky doesn't look good at all. Oh, man this rain is crazy. It's coming down in sheets. I might as well turn the lights out and go downstairs to the safe room. First I'll turn on the radio and see if there are any warnings out for this area."

The drenched man came tearing through the door and yelled, "Do you have any rooms for rent? My friend and I are stranded out here. She blew a tire on her truck. We both have horses to care for. This is just a mess, I'm telling you. So do you  have a couple of rooms?"

"Yes, I do have some rooms. You need to get your friend in here and I'll will take you to the safe room. I have to notify the rest of the folks. The electricity might go out soon if this keeps up. Go! Don't worry about paying me yet. You need to get your friend now!"

With that she went door to door waking people up and telling them to get dressed, grab their important papers and handbags and follow her to the safe room. She didn't have time to think about the man at this point, but the fact he said they had horses bothered her. Oh how she loved her horses. "I don't have time for wool gathering now. I have to make sure these folks are safe."

About that time the lights started to flicker. The room looked a pinkish gray from the neon lights that were giving it their all to light up the parking lot. Soon they too gave up and she was in the dark except for her phone. She urged all of her guests to follow her. She told them to keep calm and follow the hallway with their hands if possible. She felt a rush of wind and stomping of feet. She knew it was the last couple to come in. "Come on quick. Follow me. There is a tornado headed our way. Come quick!"

She led her customers quickly but safely to the underground room that had been used by many travelers over the years. There were some cots and even a crib for little ones if needed. There were lanterns and bottles of water. There was a hand-crank weather radio if the phones went out or if God forbid the cell service went out.

The room was shadowy with lantern light, but almost welcoming to the strangers. They started introducing themselves to each other. When it was Maddison's turn she looked at the man she once was engaged to be married to, took a deep breath and said, "My name is Maddison. I'm on my way to the Double D Ranch. I'm hoping to buy it if the price is right." 

"Over my dead body you are buying that ranch. I'm on my way there, I'll have you know. That ranch is mine no matter how much the old man wants for it."

Virginia thought she would be sick to her stomach. Who were these people and why did they want to buy her and Edward's ranch? Surely he wasn't going to sell his dream. They had made a good living on that ranch. The only reason she finally left was that he was never home. He was always at the mine trying to get more and more money. She wondered if he sometimes forgot that he was ever married. She shook her head and wondered how many years it had been since she had been "home." 

Virginia's thoughts immediately returned the eminent danger of the storm and her responsibility to her customer's safety. She saw in the corner a young mother singing softly to her baby girl to comfort her.

Against the wall was a young mother of two. She had gotten her two little ones to sleep, but was pacing and looking at her phone. "I can't get service down here. Do you have cell service down here? she asked Virginia. "Yes, I normally do. I'm worried something has happened to the tower. We will all have to be patient. I have a weather radio that we can listen to to find out what's happening out there. Just remember you all are safe down here. This room has protected many folks over the years."

Virginia thought about the man she had loved and married and wondered if he was safe from this wicked storm. "I think I will text him to see if he's alright. He probably won't answer me though. I'll just let it be. It's been so many years now. Yes, it's better to let it be."

Edward woke to the smoke alarm screaming. He sat up in his chair and wondered for a minute where he was. He couldn't see across the room. It was raining in his living room. Over the high pitched noise of the smoke alarm he could hear hail hitting the roof and breaking the upstairs windows. He needed to get out and see to the horses. But first he had to get his legs to work. He couldn't feel his legs for some reason. "Virginia, I love you and I always will. Save the ranch."

The next morning the county search and rescue team made a thorough search of the house then it's bunkhouse and barns. There was no sign of the owner or any of the ranch hands. The ranch was deserted.

1 comment:

  1. Those of you that read the original Double D series will recognize the similarities of the new characters. Josh and Allie were always at each other. Virginia and Edward were ghosts in the original. What will happen in this storm?

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...