Monday, April 3, 2023

Marlee Gives The New Sheriff A Tour Of Marleewood Part#1

 The new sheriff sat in his car watching the people that lived in the small town. There were a lot of people including children walking towards the big building that they called Marleewood. There were a few that walked by his car towards the house where the older lady lived. They called her Grandma Lu. She had been so upset when he had arrested the man that morning. She had run into her house crying. He had felt terrible about that. He noticed that a woman had pulled up to the driveway and ran to the backdoor and knocked. "Hmm, she didn't wait for someone to come to the door. She just walked right in. That's not right.. Maybe I should go check that out. It is a small town though. I'm used to city ways. Maybe it will be okay; probably is a friend of hers. Still..."

He jumped when he heard someone knocking on his window. "Hi! What can I do for you? You want me to go to Marleewood? Well, alright. Is everything okay? Well, that's nice of you. Sure I would like a tour. "You know, I had heard that place was haunted. Evidently that is a rumor that's not to be believed", he chuckled. He got out of the car and walked beside the woman that had invited him to what was looking like a big deal across the street. He noticed that people were setting up tables and bringing outdoor furniture. The lady said, "Go ahead and go in the backdoor. Marlee is expecting you." Then she turned and walked back down the street towards Grandma Lu's house.

The sheriff knocked on the door and a young lady's voice said, "Come on in. We've been expecting you. Welcome to Marleewood"

The sheriff smiled as he watched a young girl doing the finishing touches to a homemade cheesecake. He hadn't seen anything like that since his mother made them. "Hello, I'm the new sheriff in town. A lady told me that I should come in and take a tour of this place." The girl smiled and said, "I know. I'm Marlee. My Grandma B and Grandma Lu named this place after me. It's a place where friends come and listen to stories. There are many rooms here. Each of them serve a purpose for the people here in this town. Do you want to see? I'm finished here now for awhile."

The sheriff smiled and said, "Sure. I'd love to see this place. It sounds wonderful." Marlee smiled and said, "It is. First off. This is the back kitchen. See all of the tables? Sometimes it was filled with people that just wanted to come and rest and have a cup of coffee. Actually Grandma Lu and I wrote a book right here at that table. Propunzel!  It was a good one."

 My Grandma B made sure there was always a fresh pot of coffee on. There's another kitchen too. It's where I had my very first cooking school when I was just a little girl." The sheriff smiled at that because this little girl couldn't be much more than five or six. Marlee continued. "It was a really big deal. We were on television and everything. We had trouble at first because we tried to get too big too fast. We were always running out of snacks. There was a little boy that lived far away that even sent us his allowance to help us buy snacks."


"I'm sorry to say that I was always the one that liked to spend money. So my grandma and Grandma Lu had a meeting and decided that I needed some help running this place. So I hired Charlie. She was in charge of finances. We didn't always get along. I thought that the more was better as far as ordering things, but she usually knew what was best. I did learn a lot from her. I miss her."

"What did you order? asked the sheriff. "Oh, we had a gift shop. Sorry. It's been closed for a long time and you are new here. Yes, I liked to order things. I even had my own computer when I was little."


"This place is really big, but I do see a lot of closed doors. Is Marleewood not open anymore?"
"It hasn't been open until today. When people started getting sick from a disease called Covid, we decided to close the doors because we didn't want people getting sick from each other. It was a bad disease and made people really sick. We had a sign on the highway coming into town because Marleewood used to be a tourist attraction for some reason."


"I'm sorry, but I have to go check on my cheesecake. You can make yourself at home. I'll be back in just a few minutes and show you around, Okay?"

&&&

Nancy and Grandma B were having a tough time convincing Grandma Lu to quit feeling sorry for herself and join them at Marleewood. "Come on, Lu. It's time to get over it! K.R. is back in jail and out of your life for good. I'll have to hand it to that new sheriff. He knew what he was doing."
Nancy patted her old friend on the back and said, "Hey he gave me a speeding ticket on the way over here and I didn't even get mad at him! He was right. But B is right too. You need to get over to Marleewood and forget all of this. We will chat after bit, okay? I really need to talk to you about you know, the journal... I saw Fran walking over there. He always knows when there's food, she laughed. Come on. Yes! Good for you. You can find time to finish your story. Good grief,  your friends are waiting to eat until you get there. Come!"

3 comments:

  1. I found myself thinking about Marleewood the other day and missed those days. Marlee will be taking us on a tour of Marleewood for the next few days, but the Dude Ranch is still in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed Marleewood also so many good times there

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...