Monday, September 21, 2026

An Old Lady Pinched Her Cheek!

 Grandma Lu found her way into the room where she was to tell her story at the library. Already people were sitting in chairs waiting for her. They had heard about her story telling from the old days of Marleewood. They knew that she loved children, but didn't know much about her otherwise.

Betty and her son, Joey, were there also. Grandma Lu met Joey's eye and waved at him. He waved back and grinned. "You like that lady, don't you, Joey?" his mother asked. "Yeah, she's okay. She reads books a lot. That's not much fun either, cause she reads books that don't have pictures. Both times I've seen her here. I like books with pictures. The kind that you pick out for me, Mom." Betty gave him a quick hug and motioned for him not to talk because the room had gotten quiet. Grandma Lu was going to begin.

"Hello, My name is LuAnne Lizotte, but most folks call me Grandma Lu. I love to read books, write books, and tell folks about the really good ones that I have read, and I also love to tell folks about my childhood. Today I am going to tell you about a book called Rondo Items a book that a lady I know compiled from letters and notes from a long ago town called Rondo. Rondo is no more and I will tell you why I think that is so. I will also tell you about the three things that Rondo had that will probably last many life times even though the town itself is gone. She looked over the audience and spotted Joey.

"Joey, this book has lots and lots of pictures. See I read books with pictures too." The audience chuckled and Joey kind of squirmed in his chair. Grandma Lu picked up the big book. On the cover was a picture of a store/gas station combination. Grandma Lu started out by saying behind the door of this little store is a treasure of memories. Memories that thank goodness folks have written down so that they will always be remembered. But these memories were meant to be shared. Today that is my job. I am going to help these folks share their memories with you and by doing that I am going to share some of mine that were very similar."

"Another building that was most important to this little community was the church. It was called the Mission Chapel Baptist Church. It was established in 1858. That's over 168 years ago. Later on it was renamed Rondo Baptist Church. Most everyone in the community attended the church even in bad weather. Some folks walked, some folks rode a horse, and others brought their children in a wagon pulled by one or two horses. In later years of course, folks arrived in cars.


Grandma Lu went on to say that the church was small, but sturdy. It had about twenty people that went to church on Wednesday nights after supper and in the morning on Sunday for Sunday school then church services probably about eleven in the morning. Folks often brought their lunches with them and had picnics when the weather was nice. When I was a little girl my family went to a small church as well. We also went to church on Wednesdays, Sunday School and Church services.

Grandma Lu's story telling was always very informal. Folks would occasionally raise their hands to ask questions. Grandma Lu loved this and would often stray off the subject matter. Joey noticed that people were raising their hands and so did he. Grandma Lu said, "Yes, Joey. What is your question?"
Joey said, "You went to church a whole bunch. Did you like going to church all the time?" Grandma Lu laughed and said, "No, I didn't. You see there was an old lady there that thought I was cute as a button. She always wore a hat with a veil and her hands were old and wrinkly. She would say to my mother, "Gladys, your little girl is just cute as a button and she would pinch my cheeks "til they hurt something fierce. So that part I didn't like one little bit. When I complained to my mom she would say, "Oh she means well. I'll make it better." Then she would kiss me on the cheeks and chuckle. I have a little secret for you, Joey. My mother's kisses didn't make the pain go away." The audience laughed and some even rubbed their own cheeks remembering their own pinched cheeks from long ago.

Joey whispered to his mom, "I would stay home from church and watch it on tv."
Other children were raising their hands as well. One little girl said, "Why didn't your mother make her stop pinching your cheeks. That wasn't nice."
Grandma Lu smiled and said, "Oh in those days so many years ago. The elders were respected and some of their odd ways were ignored. However, my complaint that day made my mother aware of what her older friend was doing. She seemed to quietly arrange for me to be with my dad thereby escaping "The CLAW!" She put her hands in the air in a claw like fashion. Everyone laughed and imagined the old lady with claw like hands.
The children thought Grandma Lu was funny and settled in for the rest of her story. Betty sat in her chair listening to every word that Grandma Lu said. She watched her face and her expressions. She just knew that she had somehow met or knew this older lady somehow.

Grandma Lu asked the audience if any of them knew of the little town called Rondo, Missouri or had any relatives from there. One hand  was raised. Grandma Lu was so surprised to see her. It was her old old friend, Grandma B..Marlee's grandma. Well, this will be interesting.

1 comment:

An Old Lady Pinched Her Cheek!

 Grandma Lu found her way into the room where she was to tell her story at the library. Already people were sitting in chairs waiting for he...