Monday, September 14, 2026

Reunions And Letters About Rondo

 Betty watched her little boy with his trucks and cars playing a game with them that only he understood. She was holding a book that she had checked out at the library. She had a feeling that she was about to read about folks and their memories of other people and a place that she would never understand. As she read about the Reunion she had a far away memory of a reunion she had gone to when she was just a little girl. She wasn't sure, but it was not a reunion of classmates like her high school reunion was. Her school reunion was kind of fun. She had kept in contact with a lot of her classmates, so she enjoyed getting together with them.  The other reunion if she remembered correctly may have been a family reunion. "Oh well, that was a long time ago. I don't remember much about it except a lot of hugging and a lot of food. I wonder whatever happened to those people. I have lost touch with them after all these years. My folks died and I moved a long ways away."

As Betty read through the pages there were letters written to the author about memories of their childhood, weather, church plays, and most memorable it seemed was the trip to the cemetery to remember their family members and friends. And flowers mostly roses. So many roses.

She smiled when she saw some of the pictures that were taken in the 1800's. "Hmm, I have some of those old pictures. Mom saved everything. The thing is a lot of them have no names or dates on the back of them. I have no clue who they were or where they lived. It's nice these people have preserved these pictures with names and dates."

Betty smiled as she scanned through some of the letters and articles about folks that had lived and some had died in this little town called Rondo. Some of their names were unfamiliar. Choices of names change over the years, and some names were family names handed down from generation to generation. Her mother had told her that her name was one that had been one of those. Her mother said that the name Betty had belonged to a cousin's granddaughter. She had been lots of fun and well liked by a lot of people. It was fun to think about this other Betty that she would never meet. Then she remembered that lady at the library; Grandma Lu. I wonder if she ever knew any of my family or my mother's family. Probably not though. My family was originally from Iowa. Oh well, I will ask about searching for my family someday. It would be fun to do when Joey gets older and is gone during the day to school. I like these people in Rondo. It seemed like everyone knew everyone for generations!

Oh this tells about a terrible snowstorm in the 50's. I remember hearing stories about those terrible snowstorms from my mother too. I guess even though folks live in different states and many many years apart in age they seem to go through some of the same things. Interesting book. I wish I knew some of these people. Some of them sound they were a hoot! 

Okay, Joey. Would you like to help me make supper? I'm getting hungry, how about you?"

1 comment:

  1. There are all kinds of reunions. I'm sure you remember some that were quite memorable.

    ReplyDelete

Reunions And Letters About Rondo

 Betty watched her little boy with his trucks and cars playing a game with them that only he understood. She was holding a book that she had...