Monday, August 26, 2019

Grandma Lu Tells About School Book Covers And Backpacks

Grandma B walked into the Sitting Room and there was Grandma Lu sitting in her easy chair looking at her photo album that the children had given her at her Wish Party. "What are you doing, old friend? Did you get some new pictures?"
Grandma Lu sighed and said, "Oh my, I sure did. The children's parents and grandparents have been sending me some for my album. It's just amazing how much the children have grown since school got out this spring. Just look at these two little guys. They are off to school. Landon is in second grade and Jordan is in kindergarten already. Mercy! Well at least their mama will have Joshua and the new baby boy, Liam to help keep her company."



Grandma B was looking over her friend's shoulder and said, "Boy, those boys have grown.  Oh look, there are Liz's kids all dressed up. That was nice of her to send you some pictures. You know this is Bella's first year of school. She has been so excited. Her mom said she was most excited about riding the bus to school."

When I was a little girl we lived in the country so we rode the school bus too. We were to only call grownups Mrs. or Miss, or Mr. except for our school bus driver. He said, "You can call me Charlie." Isn't that something that I remember his name? Oh that was so very many years ago."



Grandma Lu chuckled as she ran her finger over the pictures. She said, "You just have to know all those brand new school clothes aren't going to look brand new for very long. Oh how I remember my children's beautiful new clothes looking all used up so soon. Playing outside for recess is hard on their clothes."

Grandma B kind of looked at her old friend and said, "Is something bothering you? You look a little sad."
"Oh no, nothing is wrong. I just look at all these pictures; oh look at this one.
Oh my goodness that's Brandon. He is so grownup. He is taking the bus to school now. Look at that brand new backpack."


Grandma Lu said, "Look at all of those backpacks, B. It looks like all the children have them.  I never had a backpack when I went to school."
Grandma B said, "Well, what did you carry your books in if you didn't have a back pack?" Oh Grandma Lu laughed and said, "Well, my two arms, my dear. Yes my arms worked rather well, if I remember right." Then they both laughed. Yes times had changed.

Grandma Lu said, "You know when we were given school books to study from  we were sternly told that each and every book would have a cover on it before we could bring it back to school."
Grandma B said, "A cover? What do you mean.?"
"Yes, my dad was in charge of covering all of the school books. We didn't buy many groceries from town because my parents raised the majority of our food on the farm, but when they did, they saved all of the brown paper sacks. After he had covered our books then he labeled each one; math, spelling, etc.  Then it was our turn. We took a pencil or crayon and put our names on them. Once again the first few days of school our book covers looked so nice. By the end of the year they were a wreck!"
Grandma B said, "Why, what did you do to them?"
"Well, I was the doodling queen. When I was bored, I would draw pictures on them. I would write my name all over them. I'm sure the teachers were very glad my books were covered."

"Well look B, nowadays with all of the modern technology you could even learn how to cover a book on what they call YouTube. I can remember books costing an awful lot of money throughout the years. Book covers were a good idea."


"Many children's parents made their book covers out of material that was left over from their mom's sewing or old feed and flour sacks. Everything seemed to have a purpose in those days. I don't feel much like I have a purpose any more. I'm just getting old. Oh how I miss those little ones. I sure am glad Marlee is around a little so I can tell her some of my stories. Whittlee Jo is still too little."
Grandma B patted her friend's shoulder and said, "Oh here is a little picture of Marlee in one of her dance outfits if you want to put it in your album." Grandma Lu took the picture and said, "See what I mean? Even Marlee is busy going to Dance School.

 Grandma B went out to the kitchen with a small little smile on her face. She felt bad that her friend was sad, but she didn't know what to do about it just yet.

3 comments:

  1. The elders are many times depressed because their grandchildren live far away, because of death of spouse, and mostly because of loneliness. You have no idea how many times I used to hear, "I'm just here at the home waiting to die." I was always on a mission to make them smile and look forward to the next day. This series is not going to be sad however, far from it. Hopefully it will bring smiles to your faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how fast the children have changed over the summer. I helped hand out school supplys at school this year and we gave out alot of free back packs to all the kids whos parents couldnt afford them. People donated everything to help take the pressure of the expenses off the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice story. We would cover our books with brown paper sacks also. We carried our books in bags with a string on the to that was our school bag.
    The children are growing faster then I like. I dont get to see my grandchildren and great granddaughter much where I live so far away it does get lonely at times.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...