Monday, November 18, 2019

Nothing Better Than A Bargain And Good Friends

One day Marlee went out to the kitchen and said, "We haven't seen Grandma Lu for awhile. Not since she told us all about alpacas and her coat when she was a little girl. I think you should call her and see if she will go to Marleewood tomorrow and tell a story."
Grandma B agreed. She said, "I think you are right. I'll call her now and see what's happening over at her house. Maybe she will have a brand new story for us."


When Grandma Lu answered the phone she said, "Oh, I'm so sorry. I can't. Joann called and said that the Senior Center is having a yard sale inside. Actually she called it a Junk Sale. She knows I love a good sale especially when it's
inside in this cold weather. So that's where I'll be. Tell Marlee I love her whole big bunches and I'll see you soon. I sure hope I find some good bargains."


By the time Grandma Lu got to the sale the the next morning the parking lot was full of cars. "Oh dear. I hope I haven't missed all the good stuff." She walked in the room where they were having the sale. "Oh there is a lot of bargains. Look at all the tables. They are loaded with things."


Joann was sitting at the desk welcoming folks and taking their money. There were fresh cinnamon rolls for sale. Oh Grandma Lu hesitated and almost bought some. "Oh I had better not. I've got to watch my girlish figure nowadays. Besides Grandma B should be bringing in some snacks. I had better get to looking for a good bargain."

About that time an old friend tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Are you looking for a bargain because we have lots of them."


They visited and caught up with his family and and friends. Then off she went looking through the tables of things. She would pick things up and put them back. She looked at things on the racks. She peeked out the door to see if the cinnamon rolls were still on the table. They were. "Hmm I think I will go...No I'm not. I just have to quit eating so many sweets. Mercy."
She had traveled the room several times when she saw it. A hat. It was a beautiful hat. Oh. I. Need. That. Hat. But where will I put it? My closet is full.


The hall closet is full. What will my husband say when I bring home another hat? Well, I guess I don't have to show it to him. I'll just wear it tomorrow when I go to Marleewood. He probably won't even notice. Of course, if he does say something, I will just tell him the money went to a good cause. The Korth Senior Center always needs a hand to be able to give others a helping hand. They always pay it forward."
                                             **********
Senior Centers no matter their name are all blessings to those that need a place to gather to eat, play cards, listen to music, dance and most of all to just plain have fun and socialize. Meals on Wheels is a much needed and used program for those that can't get out of their homes. Folks depend on those meals and appreciate the help.
Marlee has been to some of the Senior fun activities. You can look back and see that she is an Honorary Red Hat at the ripe old age of two.


3 comments:

  1. Paying it forward is so very important whether it be at a grocery store or a drive through. Kindness is very contagious. It doesn't take a fortune to be kind. Support your local Senior Centers and Youth Clubs and Missionary Thrift Shops. They are so very needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to Aldis and put a quarter in to get a cart, when your done just give the cart to a r!ndom person in the parking lot but dont take the quarter. Just say pay it forward. Thats a start because you always get a smile. Then volunteer, it doesnt always take money to help. JoAnn and LuAnne are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...