Friday, August 20, 2021

Lill

 "Hey, it's Mom. I know you don't like me to call you at work, but Josh's dad is at it again. He says this is the last time I do his dirty work, but you know you can't trust him. Bill's niece is here at the cafe and she's got Josh with her. What is going on? Have you heard anything? I will be so glad when I can leave this jerk water town and leave that man and his shenanigans as far behind me as possible. He wants me to somehow stall her so she won't leave the cafe for awhile. I have no idea what he's up to. But I'll tell you this, it isn't good. But why is Josh with her? I know I know you can't be caught talking to me. If you just hadn't cheated on your entrance exams this wouldn't be happening. I could have my cute little apartment in the city. I could have had girlfriend spa days and shopping sprees. As she talked she realized that her son, Justin was no longer on the line. "Hmmph, the Senator won't talk to his mother anymore. Well, little boy, this has gone far enough. One little thing has led to many little things. I'm done. Tomorrow I am outta here."


Lill had taken Allie and Josh's orders. They had both ordered chili. When she took the order back to the cook she said, "The girl out there ordered her chili extra hot. You can dish up some of the boss's chili. That should suit her." She closed her eyes and said, "I'm so sorry I ever let that crooked lawyer talk me out of having Justin confess about cheating. He probably would have been fine. So what if he never got a public office? It sure would be better than living a lie and having it being held over his head. If Bill was alive I'm sure he would have taken care of business. I loved that man. Should have married him, but no, I wanted no part of a ranch. I wanted city life just like Maggie. Look what it has gotten me. Look what it got her. A big fat nothing, that's what."
Her order was up and when she set the two bowls of chili on the table she told Allie, "This is spicy, so take it easy." and walked to the back and watched.


Allie could take chili or leave it, but she was really hungry. It had been a long day and soon she would be home. A real home. A ranch with beautiful horses and a comfy bed and no one could kick her out. She was so excited. She took some crackers and crushed them and took a big bite. She screamed grabbed for her water and started choking. It was so hot she couldn't breathe. Josh quickly took her water away from her and yelled at the waitress. "Bring her milk or lemonade now! Hurry!" Lill took her time, but brought them a glass of milk. "You said you wanted it spicy, didn't you?" Allie shook her head, "No, I didn't!" Josh said, "Just keep drinking the milk. The oily chemical compound; capsaicin in chili is fat-soluble. So  when you rinse your mouth with milk it helps ease the burning pain from the extremely hot pepper someone put in your chili. I'm guessing it was on purpose. He gave Lill a look that could have curled her toes. He said, "Come on, we are out of here. Let's get to your ranch where it's just a little bit friendlier." He quickly paid the bill with his credit card and they were out the door.
Allie didn't argue with Josh for a second. She didn't like it in the cafe either. "Okay point the way, my exceedingly knowledgeable co-pilot.  So just how do you know all that science stuff anyway? What do you do for a living?" Josh said, "Nothing, remember? I'm looking for a job. That's just something I picked up on a long time ago." 
They hadn't been on the road more than twenty minutes when Josh said, " I think your ranch is  a lot closer than you thought. I can see down that gravel road that there is a big wooden gate. I really think it's only about a quarter of a mile away. Yes! Look, Allie. You are home."


As Allie pulled her camper through the Rocking DD Ranch huge wooden gate she felt a sense of peace. But that peace was soon broken by the bleating of a goat. "What's a goat doing on my ranch? That goat has a chicken on it's back.  Josh, help! A goat just crawled up on top of my Jeep! No no no you get down off of there! There are chickens and goats all over the place! Huge chickens! Oh no! There is a creature with a very long neck looking like he's going to eat me! This is the wrong place. Help me get out of here! Josh, now you quit your laughing! It's not one bit funny! Help me back this thing outta here. I'm going back to the city where I belong. What was that uncle guy thinking? Mom was right all along. I should have stayed where I was at and just found a better job." She put her Jeep in reverse and was backing out the gate.


"Hey come out here and look at this. Lill stalled the girl just long enough for Maxine and her sidekick  to scare her off. It shouldn't be long now before she's gone and the ranch will be all ours! Well ours and our lawyer's. He was a great investment counselor. Sure glad old Bill is long gone. Been waiting for this day for years. We're gonna be rich little lady. We are gonna be rich."


3 comments:

  1. Lill knows right from wrong yet she did one more snarky deed to Aaliyah! Who is the guy with the telescope? Why does Josh know so much about science? And who remembers Ma and Pa Kettle. Better brush up on your old movies! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my I remember my goats. Sure hope they dont head butt her. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a Journey , so many incidents , but what a exciting adventure full of suprises.
    Excited to find out about all the new parts of the Ranch .. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...