Friday, September 10, 2021

Is A Cardinal A Sign?

 Allie continued opening doors until she found a bedroom that had a beautiful view. It wasn't the biggest, but to her it was the most beautiful. At least it would be when she was finished. It had a big bed in it and a big window. Of course, the window had a lot of weeds or vines growing up and around it, but that didn't bother Allie at all. Her room, her house, her ranch. It was just unbelievable to her that she owned this beautiful place. Why hadn't her mother ever mentioned her Uncle Bill? Who was he? Was he her mother's brother? Her father's brother? She had no idea, but nonetheless the ranch was hers and everything on it. She just couldn't wait to start her new life. She couldn't wash the bedding and curtains but she sure could air everything out. She had seen some bushes out in the yard. She would lay the bedding out in the sun. She would make do just like the pioneers used to do. She smiled to herself. Pioneers. "Yes, I certainly am a pioneer. I'm going to a place unknown with unknown dangers. I just don't have to travel in a covered wagon," She chuckled as she made her way down the stairs to the front door.


When she got downstairs with her full armload of linens and curtains she met Josh with a look that would make a thundercloud cringe. "So what's up with you? You look mad as a wet hen. I just picked that saying up since I seem to be surrounded with chickens lately," she laughed. She then turned serious. "Hey, guy, what's up. Are you alright?"
"I'm just fine and dandy, but there is sure something not fine and dandy in this whole place. I'd get rid of it. I'd sell this place lock stock and barrel. Someone is trying to either run you off this ranch or trying to kill me. I discovered that you have running water in this house! It was all boarded up like they didn't want you to know it. There is a sink in the kitchen, Allie!" He rubbed his head and said, "And furthermore I don't feel so good. I've been having a headache ever since I met you. I sometimes feel like I'm being watched. I think I will leave you to it and take a walk. I'm sorry, Allie, but this place isn't for me. I'll be back after while. I need some fresh air and a good talk with myself. I'll tell you what we decided when I come back," he said with a tight smile. "Oh, may I borrow your cell phone? I'd like to see if I can get some reception out there. I really need to buy a new phone. I probably should have bought one in town today, but I hate to spend a lot of money right now."
Allie said, "Sure just don't lose this one. It's our only way to keep in touch with the outside world." She gave him a grin and picked up the linens and curtains and made her way outside. "I sure hope he sticks around. I need him in the worst way. I wonder why he is having all these headaches. Oh my gosh. I wonder if he got himself a concussion awhile back. He should probably go get checked out. I'll talk to him when he gets back from his walk. First thing I have to get these quilts and blankets aired out so we can have a good sleep tonight for a change. Some of these old quilts are kind of lumpy. I'll probably have to throw them away and get new ones once the ranch starts having guests again. Oh it will be such fun. I can just see it now, beautiful horses and children with their moms and dads, even coaches if they are disabled. Oh Uncle Bill, please help me out of this fix. I'm thinking Josh is out of here."
Allie got a warm feeling of peace when she saw a cardinal land on the bush where she was laying out the bedding. She had always heard that cardinals were angels from Heaven. Maybe this was a sign.


"I can do this even if Josh doesn't stay. I'm healthy, strong and most of all determined," she grinned as she finished with the bedding.

Maxine's sidekick met with the sheriff at the chili cafe where Lill was working. Of course, everyone knew Lill and her moody personality, but they put up with her unfriendly ways because they knew she was unhappy. They often talked about her and wondered when she would move out of their little town. She plunked down a cup of coffee for him and walked away. She didn't even say hello, but went back behind the counter so she could over hear their conversation.
"So what do you think, sheriff? I don't think they have any business out there. Bill didn't have no relatives that I know of. Can you just go out there and kick 'em off or do you have to have a legal like paper or somethin'? Bill wouldn't like those folks out there, now you know that don't ya?"


"No, I don't know that. I'll go pay them a visit when I get around to it, but I don't go jumpin' to conclusions like you evidently do. Just leave it alone. So why are you so doggone anxious about a couple of kids out on the ranch? The young man said she's Bill's niece? Well she probably is. They ain't hurtin' nothin' if anything they probably are cleaning the place up. Isn't Maxine supposed to be lookin' out for the place? She should be out there helping them in my estimation.  No. Now let me be. I'm not done with my coffee. I'll let ya know if anything ain't right out there."

The old man sitting in front of the bank was so very sad. As he looked at the small bouquet he had picked a tiny tear ran down his weathered cheek. "I didn't deserve you, Naomi. I paid more attention to the almighty dollar than I did you. That's why I sit here day after day thinking of all the mistakes I made. Mistakes with the mine and with you and our family. My money and my back built this bank and I'm so ashamed of it and how it is run. I'm so old now I don't know what I can do about it, but I will think of something. I love you with all my heart, my love. Oh how I wish our son was still here. He'd make it right. He sure did love that ranch of ours, didn't he?" He took some petals from the wilted flowers and sprinkled them on the sidewalk in front of him and slowly walked away. He didn't live on the ranch anymore, but his heart would always be part of the Texas land and it's way of life. He had to find a way to fix this.


4 comments:

  1. Stage Right: Enter the word pioneer!
    Stage Left a new and so very important character: The old man
    On front stage and center the sheriff. Now that's my kind of sheriff: Mind your own business. Hard to find nowadays. Enjoy your weekend. I'm going to go see K.R. lol lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg I am pickin some stuff up with the old man. Have fun on your adventure tell KR he needs to be NICE!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ok I will! It’s difficult for him though😂😂

      Delete
  3. Poor Josh and his getting hit in the head. Yay , for the Sheriff for sticking up for Allie and Josh.
    I'm wondering about the lumps in the quilt ,.could it be the hidden jewelry.
    The Old Banker sure seems like he has some good information coming .
    How exciting !!
    Enjoy Your Visit ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...