Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Allie Sees #53 Being Kidnapped!

 Grandma Lu felt a little bad about leaving her friend, Grandma B, at Marleewood to finish up the cleaning, but she had the greatest idea about the old miner in her story. She needed to write it down before she forgot it. She walked in the door and sniffed. Yes, her hard work doing her fall cleaning had paid off. Her house smelled like sunshine and lemon and looked like it was ready for the winter months. The windows sparkled and her fall decorations looked so nice. She hung her coat and hat up and hurried into her little computer room. "Yes, you rebel you. You hate where you live, you are disgusted with the town you practically built yourself, and you don't like to follow rules. Especially rules that don't suit you, she grinned. Okay let's get this show on the road. Your road now is a race track at the county fair. It's especially fun because no one knows where you are. Ha! Yes. I know just who will find you, my dear. Little Allie is on her way to the next town to get some money and get away from the memories of the so called ghosts and feeling disappointment in Josh. Let me check my notes first. 

"Yes, that was her plan. Let's see how that plays out." She took a drink of her now cold coffee and started typing on her computer...

 There just so happened that there was a festival going on in town. Allie could see the Ferris wheel and some other rides from the road as she entered the main street. She thought. "You know what? I just might go see what that's all about. I can't even remember going to a carnival or fair. I might even get brave and ride one of those crazy rides. I'd better get to the bank and get some money first though. I have to pay those ranch hands tomorrow. I sure need their help. I'd like to get some of the horses back to the barn to make sure they don't need any medical care. I don't know much about horses, but I know that any kind of animal needs good food and care. I probably should call a vet and have him or her check them out. 

 Allie went to the bank and got the back pay for her ranch hands plus a little extra for some groceries and to spend at the fair. She felt a little guilty because after she looked at the balance of her account she really shouldn't have taken out any out for fun. "Oh well, I'll just walk through and look, maybe get a cotton candy or something to drink.  As she walked she watched the vendors hawking their wares; the food trucks selling their corn dogs and turkey drumsticks and the yummy smelling kettle corn. Her mouth watered as she watched people walk around with fresh fried funnel cakes sprinkled with powdered sugar. Should she? That's when she saw two little boys with stars in their eyes getting ready to get on one of the rides. "Nope, I have to have a carnival ride at least once in my life." She quickly walked towards the Ferris wheel and bought a ticket. Her heart was racing with excitement. When it was her turn to get on the ride the attendant carefully buckled her in and made sure she was safe. Then the music started playing. She thought about the original riders of the Great Wheel in 1893. Many folks thought it was great fun to get married on that original Ferris Wheel. "I don't think I'll ever get married. I don't have time. I have a ranch to get back up to snuff." When the Ferris Wheel stopped at the very top her seat swung back and forth. She was holding on tight, but wasn't afraid. She could see for miles. She looked down and grinned. "I've never heard of such a thing. A VW Bug race. "How fun is that!. I'm going down there to watch when my ride is done. There are bleachers I can sit on. I shouldn't, but I think I'm going to buy a hot dog and maybe even buy a funnel cake. It will be awhile before I can treat myself again."

Allie loved her ride on the Ferris wheel and her face hurt from smiling for so long. She looked over to the smaller children's rides and laughed out loud. One little girl just didn't see the fun of the whole thing while her sister was having a lot of fun. She even had her face painted. Oh she had missed out on so much when she was little. Well, she was all grownup now and even though she didn't have much money she had had a lot of fun today.


She stopped at the funnel cake vendor and took her treat over to the bleachers so she could watch the race. It smelled as good as it looked. "Oh this is heavenly. I've never tasted anything this good."

"Oh look at number 53! He's going so fast. I hope he doesn't crash. The track was a dirt track and she got a spray of mud all over her. She wiped it away and laughed out loud. "Oh this is fun." She stayed to watch the drivers get their trophies. That older guy that drove number 53 got second place, but you would swear he had won a million dollars.

Wait. Isn't that the woman that was out at the ranch? I think that's Laura and a man I've never seen before. They are smiling as they are getting closer to the man. He must know them. He's smiling back at them. Wait. Where are they taking him? "Hey! Leave him alone. What are you doing with him?" The couple continued to walk the man to the parking lot. They were talking to the man and he was shaking his head no to both of them.

Allie ran over to the award stage and almost cried. There lay the trophy that the man had won. She looked over to the parking lot and those two mean people were putting him in their car. Allie grabbed the trophy and ran to the parking lot.


She was going to report these people to the sheriff. "That is so not right. Oh! That makes me so mad!" She threw the trophy in the front seat and took off after the culprits. "Poor man. How could anyone be so mean?"

As she pulled into town she saw the sheriff walk out of his office door and smile as he watched Laura and the man get out of their car. Then he saw who they had in the backseat. He was grinning!  He helped him out of the car and clapped him on the shoulder. "What is going on? The man was just kidnapped and the sheriff is treating him like a long lost friend. Plus the old man is grinning back! I just don't get it. I'm going to stop to see what's going on.

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking about Allie's first time to go to a fair. Do you remember your first time? Have you all been to a fair, heard carnival music? It was a trip. But I'm sure there are thousands of city kids that never get to go. I'm sure Allie is confused when she get to the sheriff's office. Next story will be interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our carnival was like a fair. Maybe they are the same thing. Lu what is the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie carnivals are usually traveling shows and smaller than a fair. They most always have what I call carnival rides that are assembled and disassembled on the spot. You've heard the expression "carnies"? In my day they couldn't be trusted because they were here one day and gone the next and would steal from the locals. Fairs are huge events often with livestock shows, women show their baked goods, canned goods, handwork etc. ie, the blue ribbons that we all cherished. My mother-in-law received a blue ribbon at a county fair for her quilting. It was with her things when she died. However, fairs have carnival rides. I loved the music and the lights. We always went to the Iowa State fair in September which was a really big deal. Then there are festivals like our Walnut Festival, The Apple Butter Festival etc. Some have carnival rides and some don't. Thanks for asking

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...