Tuesday, January 4, 2022

B Called Them The Bickersons!

 Grandma Lu was digging and sorting through her closets and dresser drawers. "I do this every year. I can't seem to keep them organized from one week to the other. It seems like I am always in a hurry and jam stuff in instead of folding them nicely. Well, I'm the only one who cares. Mr. Neat Husband has his things perfect." She continued to talk to herself as she bagged things up for the ministerial alliance in town. "Hmm, this is really nice. Maybe I'll keep this. No, now this is how you get yourself all bogged down and don't have any room for new things."

Grandma B had been cleaning her house too, but was ready for a break. She decided to go visit her old friend and talk her into a cookie and a cup of coffee. "These smell so good. Grandma Lu does have a sweet tooth." When she rounded the corner to her friend's house her husband was outside muttering under his breath. He didn't look like his cheerful self. "Hey, guy. What's up?" He stopped his puttering and said, "Enter at your own risk. She's cleaning closets again this New Years Eve. She's not an easy woman to get along with when she's cleaning."

Grandma B laughed and said, "Okay, I'll be careful." She walked into the kitchen, put the cookies on the kitchen table and headed back to her friend's bedroom. "He's right. I can hear her mumbling back there clear out here in the dining room. As she walked by her friend's table and chairs she couldn't believe her eyes. "Oh no! Katie, what are you doing here? Grandma Lu is allergic to cats. You can't be in here!" She quickly picked up her neighbor's cat and took him outside. "Fran, I think you left the kitchen door open. You are going to be in even more trouble if  she sees Katie. Would you take her back home? She belongs next door. I think it will save you from being in the dog house. Again." She laughed to herself as she went back in the house.

About that time, Grandma Lu came walking out of her bedroom door and said, "Well, it's about time you got yourself over here. I was working myself to death! Did you bring me something good for coffee? I've got it perking out in the kitchen." Grandma Lu sneezed a really big sneeze. Then she sneezed again. "I'm sorry, B, I don't know whatever came over me. Maybe I was raising a little dust back there. I'm doing my yearly closet cleaning. I always leave it to the last minute for some reason. Aachoo! What in the world?  This is how I act when I'm somewhere around a cat. Sorry. Aachoo!"

Grandma Lu got out some cups and thanked her friend for the yummy looking cookies. B said, "Well, I went over to Shanna's yesterday and the kids were making cookies. They sent so many home with me I thought I'd share. They are really good and of course, made with love."


"Oh tell them thank you. I do love homemade cookies now and then. Quit choking. I know I have a sweet tooth," she laughed .

 While they were chatting there was a knock on the door. It was Grandma Lu's neighbor, Luann. She said, "You are just in time for coffee and cookies! Sit down. You know B, don't you?" Luann said, " Sure. Hi, Bonnie. I'd love that. And make sure to tell your husband thanks again for bringing my Katie back home. I'm sorry she got in your house uninvited." Grandma Lu said, "Who's Katie? I haven't had any company until now." B was suddenly very busy getting herself another cup of coffee and tried to disappear.  Luann said, "Oh she's my cat. Evidently the door was open and she made herself at home. Again I am sorry. I hope she was a good girl."

B shook her head at her old friend and gave her a look that said, 'forget it.' and said, "Let's talk about your stories. You haven't been writing for awhile. When are you going to start again?"

Luann said, "I just loved it when you used my great aunt Nell in your stories. The picture of her at her sewing machine is the only one I had. Thank you. She would have liked that I think. Because of the holidays I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to read much lately. What are you writing about now?"

The two ladies told their neighbor a little about the Dude Ranch series. Grandma Lu said, "Well, I have achieved my goal I make for myself every year. I've been busy cleaning my closets and dresser drawers and giving my things I don't use any more to someone that can. I have time now to start writing again." The ladies enjoyed their visit, but after Luann left, Grandma B said, "Now don't you go start chewing on that husband of yours. He's a good guy. Who knows, maybe the wind blew it open. Be nice, okay? Talk to you later and save a cookie for him! The girls will be over soon so I need to get home. They are going to spend the night. I got them matching jammies. They are so cute. I'll send you a picture. Bye!"

She waved at her friend's husband when she left and said, "I told her to be nice to you!" She chuckled to herself on the way home and thought, "Those two are something. Mr. and Mrs. Bickerson. would fit them to a T."

Grandma Lu looked out the kitchen door and thought, "Maybe I do get cross sometimes. I'll make him something good for supper." She put a roast in the oven and walked over to her computer. "Hmm, I wonder what Josh found out at the assay office." She grinned and thought, "Only I know what he found out. I do have a fun hobby. Writing my stories is like having a bunch of secrets that you share a little at a time with other folks. Such fun. Okay, Josh, you had better head back to the Dude Ranch with your news. Allie was kind of grouchy when she went to visit your grandfather. Laura told her that she should get a pet.

 "Josh maybe you should pay him a visit yourself. It's a new year and a time for new beginnings. Yes, I think that's just what you should do. Well maybe you should go see Allie first. Let me think..."

As Grandma Lu started typing her husband came up behind her and said, "Are you all done cleaning so I can watch Gun Smoke and not fear for my life?" She shooed him away and said, "Sure. Go for it. Next time close the kitchen door! By the way you look really cute in that shirt I got you. Now scat. I've got some writing to do."

Before she could start typing, a picture popped up in her messages from her friend, B. "Oh look at those two little cuties in their new jammies. How I miss those days." 


"Okay old girl let's get Josh back to Texas!"

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to so many new members! This is the Dude Ranch series. It is part mystery part life lessons and quite a bit of humor. Grandma Lu continues to be a bit cross with her husband, wear big old hats, and of course, she has a sweet tooth and is allergic to cats in most of her stories. Josh and Allie are the main characters in this series, but have connections with many others whom all of which have their own stories which we will see later on. I hope you enjoy the stories as much as I do writing them. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year !! Excited and ready lol for more adventures at the Dude Ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to get back into the story again! Welcome back back from your break. I hope you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I actually did what Grandma Lu did in this story!😊 Enjoyed being home with Fran

      Delete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...