Friday, December 24, 2021

Buddy Makes A Christmas Wish

 Buddy lay by the lady's Christmas tree thinking about what he had heard her say. She had heard that Santa was going to visit the nursing home where old folks lived. She was going to take some food there. The house smelled good for a change. She didn't do much cooking anymore. Her husband was gone and her daughter was all grown up and lived a long ways away. Her grandchildren also were grown and went to her daughter's house for holidays most generally. He remembered her daughter. She was a fun teenager, but then she left and only visited occasionally. His lady told him stories about her and her son that lived in Heaven. She often wiped her eyes and seemed sad. She liked it when he laid his big old head in her lap. He liked the petting, but he didn't like it when she was sad. So today was a good day. She was in the kitchen making a strange sound; she was singing! Could it be about this Santa person she was talking about? He'd never heard of Santa, but he must be a good guy if he made his lady happier. He had heard about Christmas wishes. "I wonder if wishes come true. I've never made a wish before. I think I might give it a try."

Buddy made a small low voice in his throat while he was wishing. He didn't know how to do this at all. So he just looked at the pretty lights on the Christmas tree and said, "I don't know who to make this wish to, but there's a sad lady out in the kitchen that seems to be happier today. She's even singing. Do you suppose you could find somebody maybe another human to make her even happier than I do? Maybe somebody that would love me too and play fetch with me? That sounds a little bad, doesn't it? " Buddy whined and turned around and around in circles  trying to find a place that was comfortable. He gave up and finally decided to sit on the lady's nice comfortable couch to wait for his wish to come true.  It seemed like he had waited a long time. The lady had quit singing out in the kitchen. He wondered how long it took for a wish to come true. Maybe wishes are just something humans do and not dogs like me. Well I gave it a try. I really love that lady. I want it to come true."

His lady came into the living room and said, "Buddy, I am going to the nursing home with these cookies I just baked. They are still warm. I think the residents will like them. I heard that Santa is going to be there too. When I was a little girl I believed in Santa Claus. I even wrote him a letter telling him that I had been a good little girl all year long. She sighed as she put her coat and hat on to leave. Sometimes I got what I wished for and sometimes I didn't. It didn't make much difference. Christmas time was always a happy time when I was a child. We would decorate the tree together, sometimes mom and her sisters would get together and make cookies and have a cookie exchange. Of course, we would always have a huge Christmas dinner with the whole family. Sometimes we'd even sing Christmas carols. Those were fun times."

"This getting older stuff isn't much fun this time of year. Sometimes I think you are the only one that loves me, my handsome boy." She patted his head and told him to be a good dog. She wouldn't be gone long and walked out the door.

Buddy did what dogs do. He took a nap. When he woke up he knew something was wrong. There was a slipper on the floor. It didn't belong to his lady. The sun wasn't shining out the window. It was getting to be late in the afternoon. He yawned, walked out to the kitchen to see if she was home. She wasn't there. He roamed around the house. He was the only one in the house. "Hmm, wonder where she went. Maybe she is still at the nursing home. Hope she is having a good time." He walked back over to the couch and sat looking at that slipper. He jumped down and put his nose deep into the slipper and thought, "I've never smelled this before. Wonder where it came from. It smells like my lady's gingerbread she bakes and maybe peppermint. No meat smell. Not interested." Then he saw the open door. 


Buddy's ears perked up. What was that sound? It was somebody laughing. It was a man calling his name. He sat up and looked towards the door. The voice said, "Sometimes wishes come true for dogs too, Buddy. I took my boots off when I delivered your lady's gift and put my slippers on. I stayed awhile and had one of your lady's warm cookies. They were so good I stayed longer than I should have. I had to leave quick to go to the nursing home and left one of my slippers at your house. Keep it for me 'til next year, Okay? Merry Christmas! Get going Rudolf, we don't have all day you know!"

It wasn't dark yet, but since Santa is part of Christmas magic no one could see him with his sleigh and his tiny reindeer. He had a lot of miles to cover this Christmas Eve night. The weather isn't too bad in the most parts so my trip will be without much trouble. He started to chuckle and his eyes twinkled at the thought of what the angels and he had accomplished today. " I got that old miner in the Christmas spirit and Buddy's lady too. I think this Christmas is going to be one of the best ones they've had in a long long time! Ho ho ho! Yes it will!"

You could hear the laughter throughout the halls at the nursing home. The smell of peppermint and hot chocolate were not unnoticed by Rex as he walked to the lobby all dressed up as Santa. He still couldn't believe he was doing this. "What am I going say? What am I going to do? I'll probably get the award of being the worst Santa Claus in history."

The guardian angel smiled as she watched her ward walk down the aisle. "My job here is finished for the time being at least. Merry Christmas, Rex. Merry Christmas." A feather lightly floated down as she hurried on to her next task. It was in the same building; the lobby in fact. This building has many folks that need some cheering up. I'd better get busy."

"I wonder if he will see the picture of Santa and little Aaliyah I put in his memory case."


Rex saw what he had only dreamed of when he was a young man. She was so beautiful and dressed all up to be Mrs. Claus. She smiled as she saw him come into the room. He had never seen anything like that since his Naomi left. He straightened his back and grinned back at her. "You must be Mrs. Claus." She chuckled and said, "Well, they said that you needed a helper with the gifts and the children so I let them dress me up after some pretty heavy persuasion I might add. Do I look silly?" His mouth smiled, but his eyes were misty as he said, "You, my dear, are the most beautiful Mrs. Claus there ever was. Let's see about making some folks happy this Christmas." The lady smiled at him and said, "Shall I stand here? Are you sure I don't look silly?" He thought to himself. "You look like my future, my dear. I think there might have been an angel around here somewhere." He thought to himself.


Oh those two were busy that Christmas Eve Day. The children and the grownups were laughing and singing carols like never before. Gifts were being opened and exclaimed over as being 'Just what I wanted!' Rex and his new lady friend were having such fun they had lost track of time. It soon would be time for them to part ways, but Rex wasn't about to let that happen. He asked her if he could call upon her or if she would visit him again. She smiled and said, "Well, you know every day isn't Christmas, Mr. Claus. I have a dog to take care of and a home as well.  She looked him in his twinkling eyes and said,  So what time do you want to call, do you think?" An old gentleman heard the two laughing as he crossed the room. "Will you two love birds let me have a minute alone with Santa, please. I haven't seen him in a very long time. I think it's about time to change all that, don't you brother? Merry Christmas." With that he sat down next to Rex for the first time since that fateful poker game so many years ago.

                                               
                                                     ***************                      

Merry Christmas everyone! The Dude Ranch series will begin again after the new year. I appreciate you all so much for reading and participating in my stories.

3 comments:

  1. It seems that wishes can come true, even a big old dog's first wish. Merry Christmas everyone. In the New Year Josh and Allie will be meeting each other once again at the Dude Ranch. I'm afraid sparks are going to fly, not happy ones! Thanks for reading. See you again in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the big dog's wish is coming true . This may make the miner Rex a little happier. Merry Christmas to you and Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Nancy. It's looking like he might smile more often that's for sure. I love the characters in this series. They are becoming a part of me. I find myself wondering what they are doing sometimes. lol Stay well in the New Year, my dear.

      Delete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...