Friday, February 18, 2022

Romance And Gossip May Just Cause Chaos On The Double D

 The deputy was not a happy camper. He and his friend and his little boy were having a great time out on the lake. It was his day off and he had to chase down that crazy old miner! How many times had he pulled him over for driving recklessly? He couldn't even remember. It was a bad day when they took his license away from him, but by golly it was for the safety of others as well as for the old man. He told his little boy and friend he was really sorry but he had to go to work. The sheriff was on call, but he had an emergency out at the Double D so he was elected. His little boy understood things like this. He had been called in on his day off before. As much as he hated it, it was his duty to the public besides that, he really did like the old man. He had helped him and his family out of a rough patch a few years ago and he would always remember never to forget him. 

He drove into town and got into the patrol car. He called Josh and told him that he could see Rex ahead of him, but where was he? "There's an old pickup driving slow in front of me. Is that you around the corner? Good, okay I'll get behind Rex and you stay in front of him. We will stop him when he gets to Master City and have a little visit. He cost me a day off at the lake. I probably missed catching a prize winning fish today."

With a little finagling and not a lot of traffic Josh and the deputy successfully accompanied Rex to Master City. They were a little surprised when Rex parked in front of the jewelry store. Rex had gotten out of his car and grinned when he saw his grandson and the deputy glaring at him. "Hey, guys! What's up? Were you guys following me? I don't have time to chat. I'm a little busy right now. I've got to go. See ya!"


The deputy said, "Oh no you don't! Look how you parked! You parked on the sidewalk plus you are in front of a water hydrant. You have no license and no business driving, Rex. I'm going to have to take you back to town in the patrol car."
"Oh no you aren't, young man. I have an engagement ring to buy and you and all the laws and badges in the state of Texas aren't going to stop me. You can go in and help me pick one out for Pat if you want, but if not just let me be!"

Josh saw the SOS on his phone from Allie. "Wait a minute, deputy. Looks like there's some kind of situation out at the Double D. I think we should help my grandpa pick out a ring and head out to the ranch because that's where his true love is and so is mine. They need our help and we are going to do just that!"
Josh's grandfather and the deputy stared at him and both said, "Your true love?" Rex said, "Well, I'll be. It sure took you long enough to realize that she is the most important thing in your life. What made you finally admit it?"
"What? I'm just saying I love her. I'm not saying I'm in love with her. Come on let's get that ring for Pat and get back to the ranch. Allie needs our help."

                                                                    *****

The sheriff told the children to follow him to the house yard with the horses they were riding. He had no clue if Allie had feed enough for the horses, but he knew that she was going to need help. When they passed Maxine's cabin he had a thought. Maxine loves this ranch. I'll bet she would be happy to help out. I'll give her a call. He grinned as he punched in the numbers. "I wonder if she got my flowers yet. Hope she likes them."


                                                                              *******

Freda was smiling from ear to ear. She was so happy to be working for the Double D. She loved to cook and she loved horses and people. You just couldn't ask for a better job. The checker asked her about the Double D. She said, "Allie called today and told us to set up an account for the Double D. What's going on out there? Seems like you are buying an awful lot of stuff. Must be three four hundred dollars worth. Are they having a party out there?"

Freda smiled and said, "No. Allie is going to have a rescue and recovery ranch plus she's probably going to be adding a petting zoo and some riding lessons. All kinds of great ideas. I heard she might even put in a huge swimming pool. You should come out and see. I think that she will probably be having some dancing and maybe even some bands. I'm sure she's going to have tons of activities pretty soon. It will be a great place to visit even for some rich folks to stay for awhile. You know there's cabins out there. They need to be cleaned up and will take some doing, so if you know anybody that wants a job have them give her a call. There's money to be made out there for sure! No that place isn't haunted. Where in the world did you ever hear that? No I'm not kidding!"

" Well land sakes! That gallon of milk just flew right out of my hands! Did the handle break? I'm sorry. I'll help clean up the mess. It felt like someone was playing tug of war with that jug. Now you've got me thinking about ghosts and haunted houses, silly girl. Thanks so  much. Sorry about the mess. Next order I will call in. Can you deliver out to the ranch? Great. Okay have a better day. I'd better get out there. Sounds like there's a few hungry folks out there."

Uncle Bill's ghost was fit to be tied. "What was that woman saying? Rock bands and petting zoos? Rich folks and swimming pools" Nope not going to happen. Next thing you know there will be a merry go round and a Ferris wheel or maybe a circus. Not on my ranch there won't be! I'd better get out there to see what's going on. Virginia thought I'd scared Allie so I've been keeping my nose out of there for awhile. I will put a stop to that nonsense if what she said is true. I'd be mighty disappointed in Miss Allie. My ranch should be peaceful and a place where people can sort out their problems, read a book, catch a fish. I was looking forward to my ranch being a place for picnics and trail rides, not no money makin' dude ranch for rich folks. No sir! Not on my watch."

3 comments:

  1. If you have ever played the gossip game at school or house parties this is exactly what is happening at the grocery store. That one conversation with the grocery story checker has upset Uncle Bill's ghost, but also has given the checker feed for more gossip and just might cause the Double D to have a mass influx of not only people applying for jobs but horses. At least I see that as being very possible

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes talking to one wrong person the gossip will spread like wild fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh , indeed one wrong word to one person is all it takes to change the truth.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...