Tuesday, February 15, 2022

The Double D Ranch Gets Five New Horses

 Allie and Pat quietly congratulated each other on the work that they had accomplished. They had found a list of vendors that Allie's Uncle Bill had used. Pat told her that she knew of them and that they were reputable and had reasonable prices for the products that they sold. Since Allie was going to offer some free services to folks that didn't have the ability to pay, good quality and low prices were important. Pat had told her that she had lived in the area for many years. She winked at Allie and said at one point, "Now that one is a bad apple. Stay away from him if at all possible. He charges way too much and often says he will deliver the next day but in fact might not deliver for a week blaming his employees for the delay."

They decided to call it a day. They both stood up and stretched and were about to go downstairs when Pat looked out the window and said. "Well will you look at that. There sits a cat in the sunshine. Pretty as you please. I didn't know that you had a cat. You didn't say anything about having a pet."

Allie remembered what Rex had told her when she visited him at the nursing home. "I don't have a cat. Rex told me that I should have a pet and so did Laura. They thought it might soften me up some," she chuckled. Pat grinned at her and said, "Well, it wouldn't hurt and cats are wonderful to have if you don't mind them being the boss." They both laughed as they went out to Allie's car. The cat didn't move but cuddled up to itself in the sun. Allie wondered about the little cat as she drove down the driveway.

The sheriff and Maxine had decided that a short walk over the little bridge might be alright. Her ankle was feeling better now. The sheriff had put ice on it and had given her some pain medicine. The swelling was down and it was just a little bit tender. She hadn't broken it after all and her mood seemed better. She thought to herself, "I guess I was pretty rough on him. He means well, but I really need to help K.R. I think he has changed. Then again, maybe he needs to stay in jail for a bit longer to learn that he just can't keep hurting good people like he has in the past. There goes that puppy. Good. I just don't have the time or the patience to train a dog. I'll keep an eye out for him though. I can't have a hungry dog on my conscience. He's not limping any more either. I guess we are both on the mend." She looked up at the sheriff. He really was a nice guy kinda cute She might go out with him once more if he asked her.

Rex was bound and determined to apologize to Pat for being a jerk. He had Josh drop him off at the nursing home so he wouldn't tell him he couldn't drive by himself. "I'm going after my girl, doggone it. I'm not going to lose her, I'll propose to her on the spot, ring or no ring. Man I need a ring! Doggone it! Where am I going to get a ring in this little town. I'd better get myself to Master City. The jewelry store should still be open." He didn't realize that his grandson was following him as he made his way down the highway. 

"Grandpa, what to do with you? Josh thought. You are not supposed to drive anymore. I sure hope you are going to be safe. It's not only you I worry about, it's other drivers too. I hate doing this, but I'm going to do it for his own good." Josh voice activated his phone and rang the sheriff. "Hey, sheriff, it's Josh. My grandpa is on his way to Master City for some reason. He fooled me into thinking he was going to stay at the nursing home. Can you help me talk some sense into him without him getting hurt? Oh you are? Well, let's see if you can get behind him and I'll pass him. That way he will be sandwiched in-between us. Hopefully that will keep him and others safe. Okay he's about three miles from the ranch turnoff. I'll keep you informed."

The sheriff looked down at the pretty woman he intended to marry. He said, "Maxine, now you know I'm a law man and as much as I hate it I'm on call this weekend. I just got a call that I have to go see about. I'll let you know as soon as I'm back in town. This shouldn't take too long. Take care of that ankle and please rest. I worry about you you know." With that he ran over to his patrol car and headed down the driveway. 

Wouldn't you know it, but there was Allie and Pat ahead of him. "Come on, Allie, any other time you'd have a heavy foot. I've got to stop that old fool before he kills himself. What are they doing?  What are they looking at?  Where did all those horses come from? I have to call Josh. I'm afraid he's on his own until I can get a deputy to fill in for me. There are kids and horses riding into the ranch. The riders are really young. Oh boy. When it rains in Texas it pours in Texas. I'm thinking these kids are runaways." He quick made a call to his deputy then to Josh. "Sorry kid, but I've got some trouble out here at the Double D. I'll check back with you. Be careful. I've sent a deputy out to take my place. Hope the old man has enough sense to let you talk him out of driving by himself."


Allie stopped the car and said, "Pat, look at that! There are kids on horses coming across the pasture onto the house yard. What's going on? She started to call Josh but remembered that once again she had run him off. "Why can't I just keep my mouth shut once in awhile. Pat, who do I call? The sheriff. Yes, that's good." As she was dialing 911 she looked behind her and there was the sheriff walking towards her. "Oh sheriff, look at all these horses. And the children! What do I do?"


The sheriff pretty much ignored Allie and walked over to the oldest of the riders. "What's going on here? Why are you and the others riding the horses on to to the Double D Ranch? Do your parents know where you are? You just can't do this without permission from your parents and of course, the owner of the ranch. Did you forget about the owner of the horses?"
"You rescued them? They didn't have any food or water? Where is the owner? Gone? Oh boy. Just stay right where you are at. Allie, come on over here. We have an unusual situation it seems. These horses were found abandoned by these youngsters. They heard in town that you were wanting to start up a rescue and therapy ranch so they assumed that you would be okay with them bringing the horses to you to take care of."

Pat shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, I guess the Double D is in business; ready or not. She started to dial Caydon and waited until he answered. "Hey, Caydon. I've got a big job for you and the hands. We have five horses that need care. Do we have feed and room for them? They look like they need some vet care and some good old TLC. You were going to a dance?"


" Oh please help me. Remember you love horses. Please? Thanks, guy. I won't forget you at Christmas. I know that's a year away," She grinned at the phone then the sheriff. "Okay everyone. Let's turn around and head back to the ranch. Easy does it. Pat, it looks like you need to call Freda and get her out here to feed the ranch hands. Ask her to stop at the grocery store and get what she needs for about fifteen twenty people. I'll call the store and start an account so she doesn't have to pay for it. They are going to need home cooked meals. Have her give me a call if she has any questions. Would you mind staying and helping her? I'm only good with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Oh I suppose they would like them. What would I do without you?"

2 comments:

  1. The old miner might feel like a kid again, but acting like one is not a good thing. Now the ranch has five new horses to care for, who are the children? Some questions answers others are raised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Allie is going to be one busy girl she had better eat crow and get Josh back and stop running him off lol us women arw so stinkin stubborn.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...