Friday, February 11, 2022

The Guardian Angels On The Double D Ranch Are Busy

 Virginia was hovering quietly on the old dresser watching Allie and Pat go through the papers and talking about some of the things that Allie wanted to do on the ranch. Sometimes their conversation would veer to what had happened at the cafe, but they both knew that was a conversation to be had later or not at all. Today was the beginning of a new life for Pat and perhaps a second career. Virginia was satisfied with what the ladies were doing. The older wiser woman was gently giving advice and it seemed that Allie was accepting it in kind. Virginia grinned when she thought about where all the books were hidden that Allie was looking for. She would make them available to her when she thought it was the right time. She considering herself so very fortunate to be the guardian angel of Miss Allie. Yes, she was strong willed, but that's what it would take to run this big ranch. Allie wanted to give the peace and quiet to the the city folks that needed a breath of fresh air and time to think and maybe make a friend or two. She especially wanted children and troubled adults to find a connection to the horses and all the other animals that were needing friends as well.

She hoped that Allie would bring some mini horses to the Double D. Children and adults as well loved them. She knew of one not too far away that was giving the owner some trouble. I wonder what Allie would do with a little nipper, mischievous horse? I can just see the children feeding him carrots and making friends. She smiled as she remembered her beautiful great granddaughter feeding a mini donkey a carrot on their ranch. "Ahh, those were such wonderful times. Yes, my dear, we did help make some wonderful memories for our family, didn't we?"

Virginia wondered how her late husband, Edward, was doing at Maxine's cabin. He was in the form of a puppy doing everything he could to keep her from pulling her money out of her bank account for K.R. K.R. was a life time of heartache for most people he had come in contact with, family and strangers alike. He had conned money out of so many people with his charm and quick wit. "His smile could charm a snake, thought Virginia. I surely do hope my love is up to the task. He has quite a job in store for him. It all depends on the sheriff. If the sheriff is willing to stick with Maxine and continues to show her that he loves her and has her best interest at heart she will come around."

Virginia floated over to the window and smiled. There was Maxine and the sheriff and the puppy. "Good job, my love! They are smiling. It looks like you will soon be on your way to your next assignment."

While Virginia was silently congratulating her late husband, something caught her eye. "That's interesting. There's a pickup and trailer backing up to the barn. I wonder what's going on. She looked for awhile and thought, "Maybe I'd better check this out. As far as I know Allie isn't expecting a new horse."

"Oh, Caydon must have called the equine dentist. I wonder why they brought the trailer with them. Maybe they have brought a lot of supplies with them. Now here comes another truck and trailer. He's a good foreman that's for sure. He has bales of hay coming in too. This is starting to look and act like the ranch it used to be. I can't wait to see it up and running for folks old and young to enjoy."


                                                                           *****

Rex and Josh got into Josh's car and started down the road towards the Double D ranch. "Wait, Josh. I'd better not go out there. Pat is mad at me for not proposing to her. I don't blame her, I guess. But I'm old and sickly. What would a beautiful woman like her want with an old geezer like me? Yeah, take me on back to the nursing home. That's where I belong. Nope, I've made up my mind. Just take me back. I've had a good life, it's pretty much over now, but you. You have a future. I don't think that you and Allie will ever make a go of it. You are just as stubborn as she is. Why don't you go ahead and start up an office like you always wanted to? You are a good lookin' man like your grandfather, used to be.  Get yourself a wife and  have a passel of kids and settle down. Don't end up like me; an old man with only pill bottles and a television to keep me company. I've got lots of money, but that sure doesn't make me a cup of hot chocolate on a cold dreary day or cuddle up to me and watch Wheel of Fortune. Remember my advice, Josh. It's better than a big checking account."

Josh did as he was asked and dropped his grandfather off at the nursing home. He sat in his car and watched his grandfather slowly walk into the building that was now his home. He wondered if the old man was right. Should he just forget about Allie and her dreams? He could have been a big help, but she shut him down like a spring on a bear trap. "Maybe I should just go to Master City and see what's available for office space." He put the car in reverse when something caught the corner of his eye. Who was that? I can't believe it! He's sneaking out again! Advice my foot. I think he just wanted to go see Pat by himself.  I wonder if I could follow him without him knowing it. He's not supposed to be driving. "Ok, Grandpa, you'd better be careful. I have a feeling that we are both about to get into a bunch of trouble."


3 comments:

  1. Sometimes people listen to a soft and gentle voice. Pat seems to be a great asset to Allie at this point. Maxine and the sheriff are at last taking a walk and perhaps talking about their future. Edward is looking forward to his next assignment. But Rex, the old miner, is about to upset the apple cart I'm afraid. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh that Rex. Allie needs a good break for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the direction Allie is moving. And I see another person in this chapter that is a friend of mine. 🥰

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...