Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Allie Finds Her Kitchen Very Busy

 Allie was exhausted. It had been such a long day. The sheriff had made sure that Josh was comfortable in a bed upstairs before he left. "I still can't figure out how he fell up the stairs, but at least he didn't break anything. I think it's pajama time for this girl. I have a busy day tomorrow that's for sure. I have a lot of phone calls to make and there's mail out on the kitchen table that needs to be gone through. Hopefully it's some applications for jobs. I need cowhands, I need someone to cook now that Pat's gone and gotten herself married. Oh this was not good timing for that to happen." She chuckled to herself, "I'm sure she thinks the timing is very good." She went through her nightly ritual of turning off lights before she went upstairs. "I just might fall up the stairs I'm so tired," she giggled.

Just as she was heading for the staircase she heard a dog barking. "I wonder why Maxine can't keep that dog quiet. He's just a nuisance. That's for sure. Then she heard knocking at the front door. "No, I can't handle any more today. I'm too tired!" But, of course, she turned around and went to answer the door. There stood an older woman and a baby girl. 

"Oh my goodness! Please come in. It's getting chilly out there. There you go. Here. Sit down. Are you lost? What can I do for you? Would you like some coffee? I can make some quick if you'd like. I bet you are lost. Where are you heading?"

The lady looked at Allie with a dazed look on her face. She had never heard so many questions in less than one minute. She smiled and said, "Well, I think I'm where I'm supposed to be. Have you ever felt that way? You just knew you were where you were supposed to be." The lady gave the squirming little girl a hug and smiled and said, "Maybe she would like some juice if you have some."

Allie stared at the lady for what seemed like an hour before she said, "Of course, I'll get her some juice. As she was getting the little one some juice out of the fridge she asked yet another question, " What do you mean you are where you are supposed to be. Who are you?"

My name is Jeannie and this is Addie. You have my daughter's horse, Shadow, here. My daughter is in the service overseas. I have no idea where she is, or if she's safe and my nerves are shot. My doctor said that I needed a vacation and some peace and quiet. I have sent you almost all the money I have for the feed and boarding of Shadow. K.R. said that I needed to send him the money or you would sell the horse. Have you sold him yet? Shadow means the world to my daughter. Please tell me he is still here."

                                                                                          ***

The sun was setting and it was getting dark. The children were getting cold and it still was a ways before Willow would be able to get them to the Double D ranch where they would be safe. "They are so worn out I'm afraid they will fall asleep on their feet. Zeke, can you hear me? What do I do with these children?"

Zeke thought about the situation and said, "The sheriff is the answer. He is on his way back to town. He should be getting to your area just about now. There! See him driving towards you? He has his headlights on, but be careful to keep to the side of the road. There, see? He is slowing down now. He sees you. I'll see to it that he takes them back to the Double D. You are learning. With each assignment you learn more and more. You do need to control your barking however. It's really annoying."

The sheriff saw the children and the dog and slowed down. He stopped the car and got out and walked towards them reassuring them he wasn't going to hurt them. He said, "Are you on your way home? I'll give you a ride. It's getting dark out here and it's dangerous to be walking on the road at night. Where do you live and I'll get you there in a jiffy."

The children whispered to one another in their tiny little huddle. Would this man put them in jail? They were so scared and so hungry and cold. Kaylee walked towards the sheriff and said are you going to put us in jail for walking on the road at night?" The sheriff smiled and said, "Absolutely not. Just tell me where you live. I'm sure your parents are worried sick about you and probably will be calling me to help look for you soon. What are your names? Do you know your phone number? I can call them now and let them know that you are safe."


Kaylee asked her brother and sister if she should tell the sheriff the truth. What would he do if she told them they didn't have any parents? Would he make them go back to the orphanage? They hated it there. They couldn't remember their parents very well, but they still missed them. They missed the hugs at night and stories. Their mom used to read them stories. They used to go fishing and have fun. She just couldn't remember their faces very well. Finally she decided since she was the oldest she would have to do what was best for her family. They needed help desperately. "Sheriff, we are orphans. Our parents died a long time ago. We ran away from the orphanage because we hate it there, but please don't put us in jail. We are so very tired. Could you just take us somewhere where we could take a nap or have a sandwich? I can figure something out tomorrow if you can help us tonight. Can we take the little dog with us? I think he is lost and doesn't have a home either. Please?"
The sheriff thought his heart would break in a million pieces, but he knew what he had to do. He had to call Children Services and get these poor children a foster home. He had a lot of calls to make before he called Children Services, however. Sometimes children just decide they don't like the rules at home and decide to run away from home. He smiled and said, "For tonight since it is so late I'm going to take you to a friend of mine. She owns a ranch and has a big house. I'm sure she has stuff to make sandwiches. Peanut butter and jelly sound good?" The children hugged him and said, "Yes!" very loudly. 
The sheriff stopped his car at Maxine's cabin and told her the situation. They soon headed up the driveway and knocked on Allie's door. They were surprised to see that she was up and had company. The children looked hopefully at a very pretty sleepy looking lady that answered the door. She was making a lady and a little girl some sandwiches. When she heard their story she started giving the sheriff and Maxine directions of where to find plates and glasses. She told them where to put the children and where quilts and pillows were. She had lots of peanut butter and had enough juice to go around. Oh how she wished Josh was able to come down and help her. But at least he was upstairs where she could talk to him. Who ever heard of falling up the stairs? Then she heard a familiar voice.


"Hey everybody! What's going on down here? Are y'all having a party without me?"

2 comments:

  1. Well! Allie has a whole new set of problems at the Double D or are they miracles?

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...