Friday, May 6, 2022

The Double D Is Not The Place To Be!

 Grace laid on her bed listening to the children laugh and play upstairs. "They don't sound like painters to me. I wonder what they are doing up there? I don't care. I need to call Mom. She won't be happy, but I can't stay here. I didn't come all this way to take care of children. And that little one! She's an acrobat for sure. I wonder where her mother is. I didn't have time to ask any questions at all. But I saw enough. Dogs, bananas, and kids all over the place. The owner was laying on the kitchen floor with banana and dog drool all over her! There was even a cat sitting on the counter watching the whole show. Oh how I wanted to learn all about horses. I even wanted to learn how to muck out the stalls, see how they trimmed their hoofs plus I wanted some fun. Happy graduation, Grace. So is this how real grownups live? Can't be. I am utterly exhausted. Maybe I'll stay here for the night and call Mom in the morning. Hopefully Josh called the bus station and found out when I can leave. It won't take long to get dressed because the only clothes I have are the ones I'm wearing. My clothes were sent to Oklahoma. Good grief."

Addie's grandmother heard the tape that evidently was a missing part of Allie's Uncle Bill's last will and testament. She didn't know all the particulars but could see that it was very upsetting to the young woman. The young man, Josh, was very upset and was talking about getting a lawyer. She thought the situation over and  made her decision.  I suppose I had better get on home. I just came here to the Double D to see Shadow. K.R. charged me a lot of money to board him and just needed to see for  myself if he was alright." After talking with Allie she found out that Shadow had been sold to a rancher in Oklahoma. The owner said that she would buy the horse back and that there would be no charge for the horse's care. She was told that she was welcome to stay and even have a job on the ranch, but things just seemed too unsettled for her. Addie was a handful like most toddlers are It would be easier for her to take care of her at home.. She would start back to her home in the morning. "Come on, Addie. Let's go to bed."

Laura, Paul, and Carter were in the car heading for home. It was dark and way past their supper time. They were starving . but the cafe in town was closed. They had a lot to talk about, but wanted to wait to discuss the tape until after they had a sandwich and took Carter home.

During the night, Jean found herself unable to move. There was a huge black dog pushing her out of bed! Addie had also crawled into bed with her and was laying crosswise so that she had nowhere to lay. She quietly got up and started gathering things to put in her suitcase. Then she decided to go downstairs and see if there was something to drink in the refrigerator. It was going to be a long trip home and she needed as much energy as she could muster.


She didn't want to turn on the lights for fear of waking folks up. The moon was shining and she was confident she could find her way around the kitchen. She light was dim, but she saw the refrigerator gleam in the light. She decided to find herself a glass in the cupboard. She walked over to the sink and touched something warm and furry! "Help! There's an animal in the sink! Get away!"


A deep voice from across the room said, "Scare ya did she? The place is full of 'em. Might as well get used to it if you're gonna work around here. I have. I got one on my knee right now. Want to pet her? She won't hurt ya none."


"What are you doing in Allie's kitchen in the middle of the night. You scared me half to death, That cat scared the other half." The man said, "The light switch is right there on the wall. Why don't you just turn it on and have something to eat. Calm yourself down before you make yourself sick. Just a couple of cats. And to answer your question, I was hungry and there wasn't anything decent to eat out in the bunkhouse fridge. Bill used to let me come in and have a snack whenever I wanted to. Used to happen every once in awhile. Bill wouldn't always buy groceries for the boys on time; especially when he got sick. Who are you anyway? Some relative of Allie's?"

Before Jean found the light switch the room flooded with light. "What's going on around here? Oh food. Good. I'm hungry. I am too! Me too!" Three little faces smiled and walked over to the table where Sam sat. "Can we have a sandwich too? We are hungry. Where'd you get the cat? Can I pet it? Can we take it to our new home with us? We have a new mommy and daddy. We are getting ready to leave and go see our new home!"
A chuckle sounded in the room and then a lady's voice said, "Let's leave the kitty here. When we get home we will all look for one, okay? Are you really hungry? We thought we would stop and get something to eat on the way home. What do you think? Okay, just a quick snack. Jean, is it okay if I make the children something to eat and drink? We are going to be leaving soon. It's quite a long trip home and the children might be able to take a nap for part of the way. Yes. It is exciting. We just got a phone call from the folks that make these decisions yesterday afternoon. They have been doing background checks on us and then they want to do a home visit.  We sure hope they like it there. We've already become very fond of them. Where is Addie's mother? Oh my, I'm so sorry. I didn't meant to make you cry."
Jean apologized and said, "Oh you didn't. I'm just very tired. The dog shoved me out of bed and now the cat in the sink and yes, I do miss my daughter, but we are going home soon. I just came down for a drink of juice. I might as well go get Addie. You had a good idea. She can sleep on the way home too. I'll go get her and we will be on our way. Good luck to you and these cute children. I'm sure you will all be very happy."
Jean went back upstairs and said, "Addie, dear. Get up. Let's get dressed and get in the car. We are going home today. I think you will be happier there. Addie. Come on sleepy head." She threw back the covers and neither the dog nor Addie were in the bed. "Addie! Where are you?" She looked under the bed and in the closet. No Addie. She went back downstairs and told the group in the kitchen that Addie was missing. 
But Addie wasn't lost. She knew exactly where she was...

5 comments:

  1. If I was a country western song writer in the forties, I believe I would be writing a song about The Double D Cat on the knee sort of thing. lol It looks to me like everyone is leaving! But maybe not. There is a little girl missing. Will she pull them all together? We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a dull moment on the Double D . It will be so quiet after everyone leaves for home. Poor Allie, now what ? And where is Addie ? More Suprises !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. exactly never a dull moment even in the middle of the night. As much confusion and all there is there I am sure its a fun and peaceful place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Monday Mornin Miss Lu!!!🌞🌞🌞Gonna be a beautiful windy day!!!🌬🌬🌬No rest for the weary at the Double D-Busy busy busy!!!😁😁😁Its all gonna work out in the long run i do believe an darn tootin you could write awhole slew of country songs!!!Cat on the knee do dah do dah an Thank You Thank you very much!!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚Have yourself a wonderful day!!!🌞🌬🌞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! I can hear it now! You are no longer anonymous! Great

      Delete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...