Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Penny And Merlin; Friends With A Common Goal

 Penny sat on the fence post listening to Laura and Paul visiting about what was going on out at the Double D Ranch. "I sure wish I could do something about that. I hate that I'm getting to be a middle aged old hen. I only laid two eggs this week. I'm what they call soon to be retired. I can remember my mama telling me stories about my ancestors. Pshaw, pretty soon one of these days I will be an ancestor. I used to sneak away from this farm and walk the streets pecking at bits and pieces of popcorn folks had dropped from the movie theater on Saturday nights. Now there isn't even a movie theater for miles around. Oh what adventures I used to have. I remember one time I almost got caught by the old man that used to sit on the bench asking for handouts. He said I looked fat enough to make him a good fried chicken dinner. When he went to grab me by my legs I flew into his face with my wings and made him so mad he chased me down the street! Wow, I got out of there in a hurry. I stayed put in the coop for a few days before I ventured out again. I remember my mama telling me about my many times great grandmother, Henny Penny, whom I'm named after and how she was almost convinced to follow Chicken Little,  Lucky Ducky and Turkey Lurky into a fox's den for his dinner. She always told me  to respect your ancestors, but always learn from their mistakes as well as their success.


As Penny listened to Laura and Paul she heard them say that there had been a press conference at the sheriff's office. The tape of the conference would soon be playing at the local radio station. The point was to catch some robbers that had stolen a little girl's purse, sunglasses and her mother's money from the glove box of the car. She blinked her eyes and remembered how quick and fast on her feet she used to be. Then she heard that there were humans that were dumping animals on the Double D and Laura suspected that someone was trying to run Allie out of business. "Well, that does it. I'm going to sneak into town. I know exactly where the radio station is. I want to hear this. Maybe I can help." With that she gently let herself down from the fence and made her way into town. It seemed like hours with her skinny legs and elderly feet, but she made it to the station. She hopped up on the window sill and heard just enough to make her so mad she just had to have her say. She flew in the open window and started clucking and pecking for all she was worth into the microphone. She scared the D.J. so bad he protected his face with his arms and shooed her towards the window all the while yelling for her to get out and stay out. She felt some of her feathers falling out and knew that she would never be able to make another trip to town again, but she had one more place to go before she went back to the farm.


Penny remembered that Merlin was living at a farm not far from the Double D Ranch. She had known first hand what a good friend he was even though he was a little different than most horses. Merlin also came from a long line of interesting ancestors. One night he had told all of the farm animals about them when her mama lived on that same farm. In fact Penny had hatched from an egg her mama had laid in the stable where Merlin lived. She too was a bit adventurous and didn't like living in a chicken coop with so many other hens. 
It was a long ways for Penny to walk. She had lived probably half of her life on Laura and Paul's farm. She knew the way, but it seemed like it was a lot further than she remembered. She had to walk in the ditches in tall grass so not to be seen. There were bunnies and other small animals including some garter snakes and a lot of bugs in the grass. She ate a few bugs for energy but she still had to rest more than she walked. It seemed like she had walked for miles. While she rested she remembered some of the stories that Merlin had told them. He had a many times great grandfather that had at one time belonged to a wizard in King Arthur's Round Table whom was also called Merlin. It was a little hard for her to believe, but she herself had seen him do some pretty crazy stuff. "It was probably all made up, but he is a good friend. I think he will help catch the robbers and get those bad people that are dumping animals on the Double D. Oh there he is! I see him talking to other horses! Hopefully I can make it up to the sill so I can ask him for his help. Maybe those other horses will help too." She announced her arrival by clucking their secret code for him. Three clucks and a squawk. Penny made a run for it and flapped her wings as hard as she could. She made it!


Her friend whinnied hello then he and his friends listened quietly as Penny told the story of the robbers and the humans that were dumping animals on the Double D Ranch. "That's not good; not good at all. What do you guys think? Are you ready for an adventure and an act of kindness? I have an idea. There are some horses that just might think this is a kick if you know what I mean; a hard kick in the britches. I even know a little horse with a big bite. Have you heard of Lightfoot? He's a biter from way back. You don't have to be big to make things happen. He can hold his own with us big guys. I have a feeling this young lady wants to make a go of it but is getting sabotaged at every turn she makes. Penny you look all tuckered out. How about a ride on my back? That way you can rest for awhile. I think I know where those horses are. In fact they might be on a trail ride just over the ridge. I heard some of the ranch hands talking about it a little while ago. Let's go guys. Let's put an end to this nonsense. I think I can get the door open and I'll come out and get you. Soon Merlin came and stood very still and waited for his feathered friend. With that Penny flew to his back and Merlin reared up on his hind legs and off they went with their friends right behind them. 


It didn't take any persuading and soon Merlin and Penny had humans and horses following them to the old campground. "You know, Penny, in the old wild west days, this place used to be a hideout for train robbers and stage coach robbers. I just have a feeling that the robbers and maybe the bad people that were dumping animals on the Double D Ranch are hiding. Lightfoot will be waiting for the signal to meet us there. Hopefully he gets there before we do just in case I'm right." Because of the pounding of many hoofs and urging of humans Merlin didn't notice that Penny had not answered him...


3 comments:

  1. Over the seventy-eight years of my life I have had a variety of friends. I have had a best friend, a friend in low places and a friend at the head of a huge company. I have married my best friend and I have had a friend that would support me even when I was wrong and was told that very thing. Friends come in all shapes and sizes. If you have even one friend whether it be human or furry you are a rich person beyond many people's wildest dreams. Be a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I know some of your friends and ones who left too soon. A good friend is a treasure you can never replace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true. You are a person many call friend.💕

      Delete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...