Friday, June 10, 2022

The Double D Was The Hideout!

 By the time Allie got back to the Double D Ranch her mind was reeling and her head hurt. She had been through more trouble in the last two hours than in all of her twenty three years. Her bank credit card had been declined at the Feed Store, then the banker said that opening up a campground on her ranch would bring in more income. Doing that would mean getting a bank loan which she had to think about. Reservations were slow in coming in so she didn't know if she could make her payments on a loan in a timely manner. Then the last straw was going to the lawyer's office. Who was there but Josh and his twin brother, Justin of all people. "I still can't believe Josh has a twin, but the worst part is that Justin is also next of kin so he has the right to half of the ranch if Josh doesn't live on the ranch for a year. I'm exhausted. Oh no! Who is that? Why is there a camper parked in front of the house?"

Allie got out of her Jeep and thought, "I'm sure I'm making a great impression driving this old Jeep. The seat is shot and one headlight looks like it's about to fall out of it's socket. I don't care. I like this old Jeep. Uncle Bill gave it to me along with a camper." She straightened her shoulders and walked over to the woman and young girl. "May I help you folks?"


"Oh yes, I remember your name now. Mother and daughter camping for the first time. So do you like your new camper? How was your trip? Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. That doesn't give our lone star state a good start for you folks. Did you let the sheriff know that you've been robbed? Oh good. Well, I have some more bad news for you. I don't have a cabin available for you right now. Since you have a camper, would you mind staying in it? I just this afternoon found out that the previous owner of the ranch had an idea of starting a campground on the ranch many years ago. It doesn't have electricity, but it does have water. I have never been there myself, but I was told where it is. Would that be okay until I get another cabin painted and cleaned for you? Oh wonderful. It's getting late so follow me and you can get your camper set up before dark. Again, my apologies."

When Belle and her mom saw the state of the campground they wondered if they had made a wise choice. Maybe they should go to the next town and just skip the Dude Ranch experience. Belle got out and walked around. "Well, Mom, you know we have battery power in the camper and the refrigerator runs on propane. There is a  fire pit here. We could finally have some s'mores, and now we actually have everything we need to eat and we have water. Okay, let's do it. Tomorrow we can go see the horses." Her mom shook her head and said, "Alright, Allie. We can stay here and see how it goes. How long do you think before you have a cabin ready? We kind of had our hearts set on working and riding horses. We wanted a hands on experience. Two or three days? Okay. We will stay here and cook breakfast in the camper. We will drive over later in the morning."

                                            
Macy called the local radio station and told them that the sheriff wanted a short press conference. Two tourists had been robbed just up the road at the ice cream shop. The robbers had stolen the young girl's stuffed chicken who she had always called Henny and her purse and her new sunglasses. Also stolen was fifty dollars from the glove box. "Do you think you could come over to the sheriff's office and I will give you the lowdown. The young girl has a partial description of one of the thieves."


Since the con man K.R. had been put in jail and the crooked bank president also was behind bars there was little news to report so the local D.J. took off to the sheriff's office. He got her all set up with a picture book that described the stuffed chicken and a microphone. They went live just minutes after he got there. The description of one of the robbers sounded familiar to him. Macy said that he was wearing his hair in a long braid down his back and was wearing a ball cap. He was tall and thin. Macy thought that his partner in crime might have been a woman. Please keep your eyes out for this couple. They are driving an old R.V. that is a light brown in color. One of the windows is broken. Let's catch these crooks and keep our tourists safe and keep our good reputation for a safe and friendly county. Thank you."

The D.J. went back to his station with a smile on his face. "I think I know who those rats are. I'm sure the sheriff ran them off a few months ago. I'm going to give him a call."

                                                              *********

After Allie went back to the ranch. Belle and her mom set up the camper so it was nice and level. They fixed themselves a simple supper of cheese and crackers and juice. That was all they wanted because they had eaten a lot of ice cream not long ago. "I think we can even skip the s'mores, Mom. I'm getting pretty tired, but before we go to bed can we make the camper homier? I brought some pictures of gramma and memaw. Can we put them up in the window? I'll go see if I can find some wildflowers to put in a jar." She handed the pictures to her mom and went outside looking for flowers. "It's kind of creepy out here. I don't know if I like it," she thought to herself. She did see some flowers. She quickly picked just a few and got back in the camper and locked it."

"Here's some flowers, Mom. I think those robbers have me seeing things. I could have sworn I saw all kinds of animals and people lurking out there. Let's put these in a vase and watch some television, okay?" Her mom said, "I think we are both tired. It's been a long day and I think a good television show would be just right. How about an early start in the morning? I'll make us a good breakfast to start the day." They both looked at the pictures in the window and smiled. Both grandmas would have agreed. A good breakfast is the best way to start a new day."

                                                     

"That was a close call, Darlin'. That girl almost stepped on my toes! Let's get outta here. I had no idea this old campground was used since the old miner went to the nursing home. Quiet now!"

" Did you find that chicken? What? We gotta have that chicken it's plum full of silver."

" I can't help it. We gotta get outta  here. Now run!"

2 comments:

  1. Well, those doggone robbers not only robbed Belle and her mom, but it sounds like they robbed Allie's silver mine. Someone should call the sheriff! Maybe the press conference will do the trick. Poor Allie. She is growing up way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope they get caught by the Sheriff before they steal from someone else.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...