Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Sometimes Things Are Legal But Also Dangerous

 Belle decided to sit in the back seat of the car when they left the ice cream shop. "I think I want to snuggle with Henny for awhile, Mom. It's not going to be too long before we get there is it ? That was really good ice cream. Can we stop there on the way back home?" Belle's mom agreed. "Sure we can. That's the fun part of traveling. We can find all kinds of out of the way places and keep them in a journal so that way we can stop again someday if we are close."

"Mom, did you put my things in the front seat? I don't see Henny or my purse. My new sunglasses aren't back here either. Did you put them in the glove compartment?"

Belle's mom looked in the back seat and said, "No, I didn't move anything. We forgot to lock the doors of the car! Let me check the glove box. I put some cash in there for tolls. Oh dear. We have been robbed. The cash is gone, Belle. Thank goodness I didn't put much money in there. I'm sorry about Henny though. You have had her for a long time. Let's go back in there and report it to the manager. Maybe they will let us call the sheriff."


The manager was very nice and said she would call the sheriff. After making the call the manager said, "The sheriff's office said that he had the day off and was at the Double D Ranch. "That's not very far from here. Where are you off to?"
They said they were on their way to the Double D Ranch as well. They would report it to him in person when they arrived. "There's nothing else we can do, Belle. Let's get going. Hopefully we can catch him before he leaves. I sure hope everything is alright at the ranch. Wonder why the sheriff is there?"
After a few minutes Belle pointed out the window and said, "Mom, look! There's that old camper sitting beside the road. It looks like it's broke down. There's smoke coming out of the front of it. Should we stop to help them?" Belle's mom shook her head and said, "It's not illegal to pick up hitchhikers in Texas, but it's dangerous because we don't know them. I will tell the sheriff about them though. He can send a tow truck, or at least go see if he can help them. We should be there in a few minutes."


In a few miles Belle again said, "Mom, look at that! There's a man hitchhiking! Look how's he's dressed. I love it. It says Merica on his overalls. Check out those Crocks! Can't we stop and pick him up? He's so fun looking."


"This time we can stop. I really don't think he is hitchhiking. I've heard of this guy. I think they have nicknamed him, Patch. He is traveling across America raising funds for animals I think. I can't remember for sure, but he may be connected with the Missouri Humane Society. I need to look into that. It's so important to keep our furry friends safe and sound. There are so many reasons that animals find themselves without a home. Let's see what he's got to say. He's a long ways from home. I have all kinds of questions for him."

                                                                            ******
"You know when we are married, I promise that my cooking skills will improve. I'm really sorry I burned the hamburgers. I do better on the grill. I was hoping that we would eat and then go over to Allie's and tell her when and where we want to be married. I can't wait to have you be my bride."


The sheriff heard his cell phone and said, "Just a minute. I have to get this. I wonder why the deputy isn't taking my calls? Hello? This is the sheriff. Is that a fact. That's not good P. R. for the county is it, Macy? Well, I'll see what I can do from here. See if you can get ahold of the deputy. I need to do an errand before I head back to town. Can you do a quick press conference scheduled? Nothing fancy. Yeah, just call the radio station. They are always looking for news. I just want those crooks to know that you don't mess around with the sheriff in this county and the people that pass through it."

                                                      *******
The lawyer was walking back to his office when he looked down the street and thought he was seeing double. "That's Josh, but who is that walking with him? They sure do look alike. I believe I'll wait here for them to catch up to me. This should be interesting." As he watched the men walk towards him he saw Allie, the new owner of the Double D. She also was walking towards his office. "Well, this is a busy day for me. I might be able to pay my bills this month." With that thought he headed towards his office just in time to open the door for Allie.

3 comments:

  1. For every person there is a story. Today there are two new stories in the making. We have a hitchhiker and a lawyer. I have a feeling the lawyer might just wrap this series up in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...