Monday, July 11, 2022

Hopes And Dreams Of The Future And Musings Of The Past

 He said they were partners. He said they'd be rich beyond all imagination. He said they were in this together. But he had not told him the truth. He was gone! "I just knew he wasn't telling me the truth. I just knew it. I laid awake all night listening to him packing. He never said a word to me. I opened my eyes just a tiny bit and could see him in the shadows. He was taking a tent! Where did he get a tent? Then I saw him packing clothes. They were all dark clothes. What was he doing? Where was he going? I couldn't help it, but I fell asleep for just a minute or two. When I woke up he was gone! I've got to find him." He quickly got dressed. He dressed in his 70's tie dye shirt and head band that now was in fashion again. He wanted to stand out in a crowd, but he wore shades so no one would recognize him, but his brother. He wanted him to see that he was on his trail. He's going to the Double D Ranch. I just know it. That's all he's talked about for months ever since that old uncle of theirs told them about how K.R. stashed jewelry in the main house. K.R. tried to find it years ago but it was gone. "Yup, brother, I'm on my way. You will split the money with me. I'll find you!"

"Just as I thought. There's his tent. Wait. Here he comes. What's that he's carrying? Yuk, it looks like he's got poop all over him. Maybe he didn't find the jewels after all. No he's putting a little bag in his duffel bag. Now he's walking away. What is he doing?" He waited for awhile and then quietly dodged in between bushes and trees. He found the bag in the corner of the tent. He quickly dug into his brother's bag and there it was. "He found them! Well, little brother. They are mine now. See ya!" And he was gone, but he heard a rustling noise and quickly hid from sight behind a log. Sure enough. His brother was taking down the tent and loading up his gear into his junky old car. "Where are you going?" He chuckled quietly as he patted the jewels in his own pocket. "I think I'll follow you to see how far you get before you find out you no longer are a rich man." 

Stef looked out the upstairs window. The house yard was filled with cars, pickups, and horse trailers. People were milling around the flat bed trailers filled with boxes, dishes, and furniture. The ancient washer and dryer were sitting there looking like they might only bring a buck or two if she was lucky. They had rusted over the years and her mother would never replace them. She saw the old Jeep that her mother had long ago retired. She could never sell it. Some cow hand over the years had parked it on a rock for a joke. It had never been moved. She told stories about a camper too, but she had never seen it.  She said it had been given to her many years ago by an uncle her mother had never known. Bill was his name. He had given her this ranch as well. Amazing. Things like that just don't happen; maybe in story books is all. But of course, it had happened to her mother. It always did. She lived her life like a fiction novel. Oh the stories she used to tell.

 Her eyes swept over the all too familiar land. There were no horses in the pastures. What horses were left  had all been brought up to the barnyard for easy showing and selling. The auction was going to be a big one. She wanted it done in one day, but the auctioneer said it might take two days. It all depended on the bidding and the attendance. Whomever won the bid on the ranch had to be pre-approved by a bank, so that would be settled soon. The ranch was first on the agenda, then the animals, then the household items. It would be hours before she would be able to close her eyes again. There wasn't even a cup of coffee to be had except at the food cart outside. "I guess I'd better chin up, put a smile on my face and get out there. I have to have my coffee and something to eat to get through this day."


When Marlee and her family pulled into the ranch there had to be a million cars there. "Where are we going to park? There is no room!" Her dad chuckled and said, "It's a big place, Marlee. I'll find a spot." Her mother said, "I'm excited. I heard that she has a lot of silver stuff like picture frames I'd like to buy if they don't go too high."

Marlee and her sister, Whitlee got out of the car and looked all around. There was a lot of people and cars, but they were all going towards the barn. She and her mom and sister went over to the trailers piled high with things to be sold while her dad went over to the barn to see what all was going to be sold. "Oh I was right. There are some picture frames. I wonder how high they will go. Come on girls. Let's walk around so we can see what all we might want to bid on then we will go over and get a number in case we buy something."


Marlee stopped and touched some things in a box. Her mother told her not to touch anything because it still belonged to the lady that was having the auction. If they bought a box of things, then she could go through it with her.


Sarah and J.D. had always wanted their own ranch. They had been raised in Texas and had ridden in rodeos it seemed like for all their lives. They had been saving their money and had scrimped and saved until they thought they might be able to buy the Double D. She still carried a picture in her wallet of her sister in a cowboy hat and her standing beside her that was so very old. She had always loved horses. When she grew up she met the man of her dreams who also loved horses and wanted so many of the same things she did. Hopefully their bid would be accepted and the ranch would soon be theirs.


Soon other people started walking towards the barn with numbers in their hands. "Surely there aren't a lot of people willing to bid on this ranch. It's run down and the buildings all need repaired. Oh go away. Please, people, go away. J.D. and I want this ranch. It's all we can afford and we can make it a great place again. I know we could."


3 comments:

  1. Your heart starts to beat a little faster when you drive into a crowded parking lot of an auction. Will I get what I have my heart set on? Or will I go home grumbling about getting over bid by somebody that had a lot of money and could have bought a new one at the store! lol This auction has a daughter that has both sad and angry memories and a brother that is trying to best his brother. I wonder what the story is there! And of course ,a couple that want to start their shaky future on a shoestring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auctions are so fun . Sometimes I cry just a Lil while walking around looking at things for sale at a auction. I think this is someone's lifetime collection and they will sell it all in a day or two.
    Hoping the Double D goes for good money and it can be brought back to a Happy Ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Auctions. like you I get super excited. Sometimes I buy crap cause its cheap and may have hidden treasures in the bottom. lol We can always hope cause it was just 1.00 or two for the whole box.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...