Friday, July 1, 2022

The Next Generation; Preface

 "This is not my fault! This is not my job! I have a brother and a sister that should be here helping me. I have three grown up children that also should be pitching in. She was their mother and grandmother, but no here I am taking time off from work to clean up after you, Mother." She walked through the house smelling familiar smells of stale cooking, but also of saddle soap that her mother left open on her dresser. She could just see her dad rubbing that stuff into his boots at night. "And furthermore, Dad, You should be here too. I'm just mad! I'm mad at you too, God. Why did you have to take him when I was so young? I suppose Mom did her best with us, but I hated this ranch. and the heat of Texas, and the cleaning up after those horses. Horses! Mother loved them. I think she loved them more than us kids. I can just see her now talking gentle to them and giving them treats. She was in that barn more than in the house. It shows for sure. Okay, okay she was old! I get that, but why am I taking all the blame for her not paying the taxes on this place? It is not my fault!  I'll be lucky if this place sells for enough over the amount of the taxes to pay all of her bills that are piled on the desk upstairs. I guess I'd better get busy and start downstairs with getting things in piles. First the auction pile, then the give away pile, the throw away pile, and the keep pile. Hopefully I can talk some of the hands that are still left to help me get this done. I've only got a few days and then it will all be over. Then I can get back to my life. " As she turned to go back downstairs she saw a picture of her husband and her taken years ago. "Well, look at that. Happier times for sure." She ran her finger over the glass in the frame trying to feel her husband's face. "I sure wish you were here. I could really use your help. I know you have to work." She angrily wiped the tears from her face and got busy. The sooner she got this over with the sooner she could take that ten hour trip back home where she belonged. Hopefully she would still have a job when she got back.

Justin had retired from congress many years ago. What he had left now was memories. So many memories. Oh he had two children; a son and a daughter and some grandchildren,. He didn't see them very often. "They have their own lives and I'm just about done with mine. It was a good ride though. Oh once I found out I had a brother; and a twin brother at that we had fun. He got married and stayed in Texas and I finally found my love and lived in D.C. as well as in Illinois. Josh died young though. I miss him still. I don't think Mom ever got over it. She lived in my guest house for years. She didn't talk much about her feelings, but I could see the sadness in her eyes." 

When Justin did get to see his grandchildren he loved to tell them stories about the Double D ranch and of course, about his life as a senator. He had one son that loved to live on the edge. He worried about him constantly. "I have no idea where he got his reckless ways. Must have been his mother," he grinned as he remembered his sweet wife. There was nothing reckless about her, but she did have a twinkle in her eyes when she was thinking of something a bit naughty. "Oh how I miss you, my dear."

Sarah walked into the feed store and found herself in quite a line of folks waiting to be helped. "I think I will just look around. I love looking at Ben's bulletin board. The sale bills are fun but J.D. hates it when I tell him there's a sale." She grinned and thought. I wish we had enough saved up to buy our own ranch. Maybe just a few more races and we will. Oh, well, look here. The Double D is going up for auction this month. Hmm, I wonder how much that place will go for. Mom worked for Allie when she was younger as an equine dentist." She tore down the sale bill, put it in her purse and went out to the truck. "J.D. might say no, but I'll never know until I show him this." She found him just where she thought he'd be. He loved horses as much as she did. She frowned when she thought of her husband's elderly father. He was nice enough guy, but he did hate that they loved barrel racing and rodeos. Oh well, it's our life. "I just can't wait to see what my hubby thinks. I sure do hope he thinks that it's a possibility at least."

While he was waiting to check in with his parole officer he rummaged through the worn and uninteresting magazines in the waiting room. "What a surprise. Got my paralegal certificate in the joint to read this outdated junk. Then they make me wait an hour to see him. Oh wait, what's this? Let me see this. I think that was the name of the place where my uncle's cell mate used to live or close by. I can't remember all the stories he used to tell. Let's see where this place is at. Yeah, I think it was called the Double D. Auction, huh? Wish I had some dough. Wait a minute. I know somebody that does. Wonder if he'd like to invest in an old worn out ranch. Should go for a song in my opinion. The thing is there used to be an old silver mine on that property if I remember right. Wonder if it's all mined out? I'd let my buddy do the investin' and I'll get the rewards. Ha! Yeah, when I'm done in here I'm gonna give him a call. I would love getting out of this stinking city and enjoy the wide open spaces, fresh air and a sucker on every street corner. I heard tell it's a regular Mayberry R.F.D. Yeah, this is for me. I'll just take a quick picture and send it to him and call him to see what he says. Ha, this is gonna be sweet."

1 comment:

  1. This tells a few of the characters who will be in this series. The originals are either dead or have disappeared. The daughter who starts this series is in Stage 2 of grief over her mother's death. She is angry at everyone and everything. I'd like to thank two members for volunteering to be in the series. One of which volunteered to be the villain. lol As this series continues you will see more and more children emerge. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...