Tuesday, August 30, 2022

The Neighbors And A Visit With Grandma Lu

 He sat on the fence post thinking. His dad called it pondering. "I don't know where that word came from, probably from the olden days he talks about sometimes. I have a lot to think about. I think about the future sometimes. Will I still be sitting on this same fence post for the rest of my life? I hope I still live here for a very long time. I love this ranch. My brother loves the ranch too, but his dream is so different than mine. He loves horses, I love cattle." He chuckled to himself as he watched his dad's cattle move slowly where they were supposed to go, complaining as they were moved from place to place. "What would the ranch sound like without the sounds of these guys? I can't imagine it." He also thought about the Double D Ranch which bordered his dad's. "That's a mess if you ask me. I heard the auction was one in a million. Two folks bidding on it. One wanted it in the worst way to raise horses like it was meant to be and the other bid on it by mistake. I heard Dad say they decided to be partners until one could buy out the other one. That should work if  those city folks move down here. I heard stories about that place being haunted years ago. Said that there were all kinds of ghosts running around over there. Crazy stories folks come up with."

Jasper loved his horse. In fact he loved most horses. There was always a lot of work to do on the ranch he and his brother lived on, but he was thinking he might ask if he could ride over to the new neighbor's ranch; the Double D. He wondered if they were going to change the ranch's name. It had been the Double D for years. In fact for as long as he could remember he had heard older people refer to the ranch as the Double D. "I guess that place got into trouble because they didn't pay the taxes and they had to sell it or lose it to the state of Texas. Dad said that there were now two owners. One of the owners loved horses like him, He wanted to meet them and ask them a lot of questions. "I wonder if they have kids. That would be neat if they had some boys. Q and I could use a few new friends, especially if they liked horses," he chuckled to himself.


He looked up and saw his brother riding over. "Hey, Dad said that we could ride over to the Double D if you want to. He said we could take a break from chores this morning to meet the new neighbors. I guess Mom and Dad are going over too. Want to ride over?"


Jasper was eager to go. He quickly agreed and soon they were on their way. Jasper wanted to see the horses and Q wanted to see if they had boys their age and of course, a break from chores was always welcome.
                                                       ******
"Grandma Lu, you look funny. How come you are wearing a cowboy hat and doing weird stuff with your hands? asked Marlee as she watched her typing on her computer. You have my picture on your computer. I was really little then, wasn't I?" She received a big laugh and Grandma Lu said, "Where did you come from? I didn't hear the doorbell. In answer to your question I'm writing the story that you wanted to be in. Remember? The ranch in Texas? I thought you did. Well sometimes, even a lot of times I dress up like the story I write to get me in the mood. Do I look like a cowgirl, Marlee? No. Well, doggone it. Did you see where I put your picture wearing a hat in the story? I thought if Marlee and her mom and dad can wear a cowboy hat so can I. You funny girl. Come here and give me a hug. Where is Grandma B? I'm assuming she is out in my kitchen brewing up some coffee. Let's go see."


Grandma B took a look at her old friend and laughed. "You really get into your stories, don't you? Silly woman. I took the liberty of getting the coffee made. I even brought you over some cookies. Fran said you were busy writing the stories in your office. Marlee and I have some news to tell you."
Of course, Grandma Lu was interested in the news. "Okay, what's up? Oh, I see. Well, I'm sure you will feel better afterwards. Look at it this way, Marlee. You will get popsicles and ice cream to make your throat feel better. Remember when you lost your tooth how the popsicle made it feel better? It may be a little sore afterwards, but you will be fine. My little girl had her tonsils out when she was four years old. You have pictures? Oh good let me see. Is it okay if I show them to our friends? Great. Look how cute you are all gowned up. I'm so glad you and your family got to look at the hospital so now you know exactly what to expect. 

 When you are resting you can read the stories with your family. In my stories you and your family are going to be living on a ranch for awhile. I'll make sure that you and Whitlee will have a lot of fun. Okay so tell me how was your first day of school? Oh I'm so glad you love school and are making friends. Okay, pass the cookies, B, My sweet tooth is waiting! I can eat cookies, drink coffee and listen to Marlee all at the same time. They call that multitasking!" They all laughed because they heard Grandma Lu say that lots of times. While they were laughing she was thinking, "I wonder if I should have her start school in Texas and where is that pesky crook that was in the sunflower field. I know where the older woman is. And the auctioneer's wife is going to get in so much trouble... Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't hear what you were saying, B. My mind might have wandered off a bit. That's called a senior moment, you know," she chuckled and as she looked out her kitchen window she knew just what she was going to write as soon as her company left.
Her friend looked at her granddaughter and they both smiled. Grandma Lu was at it again. 


2 comments:

  1. Over the years I can't remember anything more fun than getting new neighbors. Oh how I wished that they would be friends that we could have fun with. 9 times out of 10 that didn't happen. We shall see what happens with these two young men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have 2 friends that I use to play with when I stayed with my grandma and grandpa Taylor. They both now live on the family property. My grandparents house burnt after they sold the farm but I have many memories if us all playing. Marlee has a friend and they are the cutest together when they see each other they just hug even as they leave from school. lol. I hope they remain friends too for life.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...