Friday, October 14, 2022

That Old Book Felt Like Magic

 When the two little girls, both named Marlee looked up they saw their mother's faces. One looked stern, the other had a tiny lift on one corner of her bottom lip. "I think we shouldn't giggle any more, My mom has a mad face." "You are probably right, Marlee whispered back. My mom was in a hurry and I forgot to get her a loaf of bread. "I'm sorry Mom. I'll go get the bread right now. Bye, Marlee." She got up and started to push her cart away. Her mother looked at the other lady and said, "Your daughter's name is Marlee? So is mine! That name is fairly rare. I chose that name just because of that." "So did I!" They smiled and both ladies looked at their two daughters. The two little girls didn't know exactly what to expect when one of the ladies said, "Well, I'd better get going. My husband and Marlee's little sister are waiting for me out at the Double D campground." The other lady said, "I know what you mean. I need to get home too. I have a little boy that's hungry. Of course, he's always hungry, she laughed. Wait a minute. Did you say the Double D campground? You aren't by any chance the lady that bought the Double D at the auction a few weeks ago are you? You know, you are kind of famous around these parts."

Marlee's mom shook her head and said, "I'm afraid I am. However, I don't think it will be long before we are going to be able to go back home and get our life back to normal. At least that's what the lawyer told us last week. It was nice meeting you, but we really need to get going."

On the way home Marlee's mom said, "That was kind of neat wasn't it? I am so surprised that you met a little girl who has the same name as you have and is exactly almost to the day the same age as you. Are you  still carrying around that old book? Why do you like it so much, Marlee?"

"I just really like the old pictures in it, Mom. I can't read the writing in it, but it's fun to look at the pictures. I feel good every time I open it up. It's kind of s strange feeling. It's almost like magic. I just know I have to have it with me all the time for some reason." Her mom smiled and said, "That's cool. It has survived many many years and an auction and then that man almost stole it out of the car. I wonder if they ever caught that guy. I heard that he was seen out at the sunflower field at the edge of town. Oh well. I'm glad you like your book. That was two dollars well spent wasn't it?" 

On the way home from the grocery store Marlee's mom said, "Well, you had some fun at the grocery store, didn't you? It's not every day that you meet someone to have fun with while you are supposed to be helping me shop, she laughed. So what all did you talk about except what kind of candy you both liked? Hey, are you asleep? Well, go ahead and take a short nap. We need to get home and get busy making supper. Kyler will attack us when we get home. That boy is always hungry."

Marlee didn't hear her mom because she was dreaming of being a ballerina and unicorns and chickens. Oh yes, her great great grandmother, Allie, had chickens at the Double D Ranch. She saw the pictures in an old book that other new to town Marlee showed to her at the grocery store. She looked a little bit like her...

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love magic! I wonder what that old journal will tell these two girls. I'm thinking they just might be related and have no clue

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wouldnt that be strange!! Or maybe something hidden behind on of the pictures, a treasure map leading to enough mony to pay the debts so they can stay. lol got my mind on a role.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...