Thursday, October 6, 2022

It All Started In The Candy Aisle

 Marlee and her family had been living in the camper for about three weeks. It was close quarters for four people even though the camper was a big one. Marlee noticed that sometimes her mom and dad were kind of grouchy and so was her sister! She was really grouchy. She constantly wanted to go home. Marlee missed her home too, but the ranch was big and had lots of  cool places and things to see.  She loved the horses and other animals that lived there. Her mom had accidentally bought the ranch at an auction, but soon they would leave to go back home, at least that's what she had been told. Her parents talked a lot about lawyers and paperwork; stuff she didn't understand. Marlee was six years old now and knew that school was starting in just a few days. She really wanted to go back home to be with her friends that she had made in pre-school last year. She hoped all of her friends would be in kindergarten with her too.

She heard her mom say that she was going into town to get some groceries. So Marlee hurried out to the car to go along. She kind of liked the little town that was not too far from the ranch. She had met some girls about her age at the auction and at the cafe. They had invited her to have ice cream with them not too long ago. Grocery shopping used to be fun, but they didn't have a big refrigerator or freezer in the camper so they had to buy small amounts of things more often.

When they got to the grocery store Marlee's mom asked her to get a small basket and look for some bananas and three other things that she and Whitlee would like for snacks. She and Whitlee were going to take a bigger cart and pick up some meat and other larger items. Marlee found the fruit aisle and was about to put some bananas in her basket when her phone rang. It was her mom. "Marlee, please pick up a loaf of bread for me. I'm way on the other side of the store. I'll meet you up front in just a few minutes."


Marlee had passed by the bread aisle when she was looking for the bananas. She quickly turned around and ran right into another little girl that was pushing a grocery cart. "Oh, I am so sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going. Are you okay?"


"The other little girl laughed and said, "Oh sure. I'm the one that was rushing around the store. My mom is waiting for me." Marlee said, "So is mine." The other girl said, "My name is Marlee, what's yours? I haven't seen you in here before." Marlee said, "My name is Marlee too! I don't know anyone named Marlee. I"m six years old and soon will be going to Kindergarten." Marlee said, "I'm six years old too! My birthday is in August." Marlee said, "My birthday is in August too!" Marlee said, "We are living in a camper on the Double D Ranch then we are going home." Marlee said, "We live in a small town, but my grandparents live on a farm. My brother and I love it there." They both giggled and that's where their moms found them several minutes later; giggling and comparing likes and dislikes in the candy aisle. They both had completely forgotten their moms. but would soon discover they had more in common than they knew.

2 comments:

  1. Here we go! Two Marlees. What else could they have in common?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this is going to be a good one. Or very interesting as to where you will take us.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...