Monday, March 13, 2023

The Marleewood Children Protect Grandma Lu

 The small town that Sage and Gus lived in seemed to be having more activity than usual. The neighbors were jogging and a young high school girl was watching the cats as she looked out of an old pickup truck window to have her picture taken.

Rowdy and Ms. Kate were walking at a pretty fast pace because they could see that the back door of Grandma Lu's camper was open just a crack. 

"If you are going to tag along with me you have to keep up. I won't have you slow me down so that I miss my ride in the camper. See that door? It's open a little. If we plan it just right we can get in there before they take off for their trip. I have no idea where they are going, but this time of year older humans like to go where it's warm. They might be going to Florida or Texas. Makes no difference really, but I was hoping for Texas. I'd love to live on a Dude Ranch. Come on! You have to keep up!"

Sage said, "Gus, did you see those two cats? Have you ever seen them before? Want to chase them? It might be kinda fun on a chilly spring day. Warm us up a little. Oh how I do love a good cat chase."

"Nah, I don't think so. I'd rather play with the ball. The humans are coming out pretty soon. We don't want to disappoint them. You know how they love to play ball. It makes them laugh and feel good about themselves if we bring it back to them. But we can watch until they come outside."

"There's the neighbor lady with her kids. They are doing what they call jogging. I think they noticed the cats too. Lots to look at this morning. Oh oh, that little one got away from his mom. Oops, I think he is chasing the cats. Maybe this is a good morning for people watching. They sure make life fun somedays, don't they?"

"Hey, Mom! Did you know that Grandma Lu and her husband were going camping? I didn't either. Wonder where they are going. Where did they get those cats? I thought she was allergic to cats. Are we about finished taking pictures? We did the sunflower field and this pickup. I kind of like this one to put in the year book. What do you think? Oh oh. I think those cats just got in the camper. Should we call Grandma Lu?"


                                                                             &&&

From behind the tree K.R. could not see the potential disaster inside the camper. He watched carefully as his step sister put things in the back seat of their truck. "Looks like things are about winding up. I'd better get back in the camper before I'm spotted by somebody. I hate hiding under that bed so riding along won't be bad until we stop for gas then I can spring my surprise on them, he chuckled. Yes, dear sister, you owe me a free ride to Texas and that's exactly just what you will do."

What K.R. was not counting on was children. Children that had been coming to Marleewood for years that loved and protected the elderly story teller. Two of them happened to be outside playing in the leaves. They saw two cats jump in the camper. They also saw Grandma Lu and her husband start to take off on their trip. They had to stop them! Grandma Lu would get sick! They did best what children do. They waved and they jumped and they yelled. 


However, those children didn't see the stranger that had been lurking behind one of the trees run and jump into the camper as well.

2 comments:

  1. I've lived in many small towns and I'm here to tell you sometimes folks know what you are doing before you do! lol There's one thing that the dogs and people missed isn't there? They did not see K.R. hiding behind a tree. I feel so sorry for him when he gets in that camper. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he is 100xs more allergic the gma Lu is hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...