Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Allie Can't Imagine A Life Without Music

 Allie decided that while she had the old journal in her hands she would take a few minutes to read some of the entries that had been made by which she now knew were her ancestors. For some of them they endured back breaking work and heartache.  She read of people going through droughts and losing what little crops they had saved to clouds of grasshoppers. She read a short scribbled note that Pa had gone off to war. She wondered what war that could have been. It wasn't dated. Maybe the Civil War. Terrible times in those days where sometimes brothers fought against brothers. Allie thought, "It sounds like some of the women were just as tough as the men in those days. Here is an entry from Whitlee's ma that says she misses the sound of music. Music? I suppose you would miss music if it was completely gone from your life. I never thought of that. I was only thinking of food and shelter. I wonder what kind of music they had in those days. I've read about Virginia reels and folk music. She sounds like she might have come from the city. I wonder how in the world they ever met and ventured southwest to where I now walk in their footsteps. I wonder if I am as strong as they were. I've been told repeatedly that I'm mouthy and stubborn, but I don't know about strong. I guess I'm strong willed and to me that's what I have to be to get this ranch up and running."

She decided to walk outside and watch and listen to the men working with the horses. She found a comfortable spot and let her mind sort some things out. She really needed to take inventory of the animals that lived on the ranch. She had money now, but she did know enough about expenses that she needed a budget. She had many things that she needed to list. "I need a journal of my own! Yes. When I go back to town I'll pick one up and get started on it. It's really strange I haven't found any bookkeeping books from Uncle Bill's time out here. You have to keep track of income and expenses. I'm no genius, but that just makes sense to me."

She thought about the first day she arrived. There were goats on her Jeep, chickens in the house, even an alpaca greeting Josh and her at the gate. She smiled a sad smile when she thought of the cute little dog that spoke Spanish. I thought her owner and I were going to be good friends, but that went down the tubes. What a day that was. Josh had been a big help to her. He had helped clean up the house, fixing the water, and electricity. But she just couldn't depend on him. He was here one day and gone the next. Now he thinks I should open up the mine again. No. I'm not going to do it. I don't need the money. I just feel deep down in my heart that the ranch needs to be here to help folks and animals, not to make me rich."

She looked down the driveway and there sat Josh's car parked in front of Maxine's cabin. I thought he was going to chase her down and stop her from going to see K.R. in jail. I never know from one time to the next if he's really going to do what he says. I guess I always thought from the very beginning that he and I would be partners and run this ranch together. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, so I think I should find someone that will help me. A foreman that knows horses, cattle, and everything that they need. I need someone that will tell me that I'm wrong when I think I'm right." She grinned to herself remembering what Josh's grandfather had told her. He pretty much told me to shut my mouth and open my heart. I can do one, but I really have to work on not saying what I think the minute I think it. I'll give it my best shot. I do need help."

Allie hadn't realized it, but she had spoken out loud. "Well, it just so happens that I'd like a job." Before Allie could answer, the lady said, "I can cook up a storm. My nephew is one of your ranch hands and he's been telling me that they have to go to town to eat because you don't have a cook yet. It's expensive for them you know. I'd be willing to cook you a practice meal if you'd like to taste my cooking and baking. I'd need to take a gander at your cupboards to see what all you got to cook with though. What do you think?"

Allie truthfully didn't know what to think. She had not thought ahead to a busy ranch with guests to feed! She was a failure for sure. She felt like she was walking in her sleep as she showed the lady around her kitchen. It's not very big I'm afraid. I haven't gone grocery shopping except for pizza and lunch meat and peanut butter for me. I'm sorry."

The lady said, "Well, I'll tell you what. If you go to town with me and set me up a line of credit at the grocery store I'll do the shopping and you can see for yourself. I know my nephew loves sweets. How about some cookies and some chicken and noodles to start with. That won't cost you much and you can decide from there. My sister is out in the bunkhouse talking to the guys. She's more a people person than I am. She likes to organize and fit the round circles in the square boxes. How she does it I don't know but things always work slick for her. She could probably help you get some activities situated for your guests. You have a swimming hole and a fishing pond from what I hear. What kind of music do you have lined up for your guests? Lands sakes, girl, you have a lot to get done don't you?"

Allie's head was swimming with all of what the lady was saying. She was right! She had been wasting her time with bickering with Josh and his grandfather. Oh and that Maxine! She needed to get busy. She had some talents of her own. She loved art and fashion. Hopefully she could find time to fit that into the ranch. She thought back to what the old journal entry had said about music. Yes she needed music for her guests. She was getting so excited. She grinned at the lady and said, "Let's walk down to the bunkhouse and take a look around. I'm not sure which one of the hands is your nephew, but maybe he could show us around. I haven't even been down there. I've only been on the ranch for about ten days or so, so I have a lot to learn."

The new lady, Freda, and Allie chatted quietly as they made their way down to the bunkhouse. She had so many ideas for food and snacks for the guests as well as the cowhands. Allie was very impressed. 

"Well, here it is. It doesn't look too bad, does it? Maybe a little outdated, but looks to be in good shape."


A good looking young man was standing near the front door. He waved and said, "Hi, Aunt Freda. Are you going to cook for us? I'm just now heading into town to get a burger." He looked at Allie and said, "You can't go wrong with her as your cook. Her food is delicious."
The worried look on Allie's face did not go unnoticed. "What's wrong, Allie? You look very concerned about something."
Allie said, "Well I am. My kitchen is so little there isn't room for very many people to cook in there let alone sit down and eat."
Freda and her nephew looked at Allie with surprise. Caydon said, "You really haven't spent much time out here have you? There is a separate building for the guests to eat, plus this bunk house has it's own kitchen. Where your guests will eat is called the Dining Hall. It's down this hill and has it's own parking lot. You can't even see it from here so you have all the privacy that you may want. The cabins are close by so guests don't have far to walk for their meals. People used to come from all over just to eat out here. The cook left though when your Uncle Bill got sick. Of course, there was no one to run it for a long time. You will have to hire a whole new crew to clean it up and a maintenance man or two will be a great asset so that you know all your appliances are up and running properly. Nothing worse than a warm soda and a hot room when it's over a hundred degrees outside. I would say you will need to hire probably about thirty to fifty people before you can even start inviting people out here. There are only a handful of us ranch hands left. The horses need care and feed. We need a vet and some hay for the horses. You do realize that don't you? And by the way we have mice and probably pack rats in the bunk house. Yes you need to hire a bunch of people unless you just want to sell it. I've heard tell at the cafe in town that there are people chompin' at the bit to buy this place."
Allie asked Freda for her phone number and told her that she would call her in a day or two. She had a lot of things to work out in her head before she started hiring people. She absolutely did not want to sell the ranch. It needed her as much as she needed it. She also needed someone to be a sounding board; a friend. She needed Josh. 

As soon as Freda left she got in her Jeep and headed into town. Josh's car was no longer at Maxine's cabin. "Hopefully he will be in town and meet me for a soda. I really need his advice. Okay here goes nothing."

4 comments:

  1. Allie finally realizes that there is a lot more to running a ranch than just having a roof over her head, a lot of money, and a few horses. She needs help! Throughout my 77 years I have met more people that struggle to survive and won't ask for help. Let's see what Allie finally does to make her dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true people struggle every day

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy Freda showed up ,.this can be a turn around for the Ranch. Allie can hopefully get it all figured out now with Freda's help.
    Allie has struggled so long , maybe Allie and Josh will make a Awesome
    pair and get the Dude Ranch up and running and helping people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ideas are easy the hard part is putting them to work.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...