Friday, February 4, 2022

Maxine Has A Fall

 Josh had gone into town to talk to his grandfather. He needed his help badly. Maxine was bound and determined to give his dad a lot of money for a good lawyer to get him a new trial and out of jail. He knew the way Maxine was acting that his dad had another get rich quick scheme he once again had dreamed up. Maxine had been hooked and pulled into shore like a hungry fish by that con man. He was hoping that his grandfather could talk some sense into her or at least give him some ideas to stop her. When he got to the nursing home the nurse told him that he wasn't there, but gave him a number where he could be reached. It was a lady named Pat. Even though Josh wanted to talk to his grandfather so badly about Maxine he had to grin. "That old fox is in love. Well, I need to talk to him so I'm going to give him a call. The sooner the better or Maxine's bank account will be empty and K.R. will go right back to his old ways and forget that she ever existed.

When Rex saw that his grandson was calling he answered the phone. When he heard that Josh really needed to talk to him he told him that Pat had said it was fine for him to come over any time. He'd see him soon..

It seemed in no time Pat answered the door and said, "Go on out to the kitchen. You two can have a nice talk while I read my book. There's coffee and fresh cookies if you'd like. Rex can show you where everything is."

Josh grinned at her. He just couldn't help it. Her eyes were sparkling and she wore a perpetual grin on her face. Love was in the air for sure. "So when are you guys getting married? This is looking pretty serious to me. Pat just waved him away and pointed to the kitchen. When Josh walked into the kitchen he laughed out loud. There sat his grandfather with the same grin on his face, but he was holding a teddy bear with Valentines on it. "Well, now I think I've seen everything. So this is how it is, huh? When's the big day? Valentines Day isn't for two more weeks and you've already got her a gift?"

His grandpa winked at him and said, "This is mine. Pat just gave it to me a few minutes ago to keep me company when I go back to the nursing home. I do love her, Josh, but I have some health issues. I can't drive safely anymore and I take a bunch of medicine. Is it fair to saddle her with taking care of me? I'm not sure about it. Maybe things are best just the way they are. I don't have a good track record with women. I was obsessed with making money and neglected your grandmother to the point where she left me. Yes, I think things are fine for us just the way they are."

Pat stood in the doorway and said, "Excuse me? I think that I'm the one that should make that decision and not you. I'm perfectly healthy and I would be honored to be your chauffeur whenever you or we want to go somewhere. If you needed care I would give it and I would expect the same from you. That's all I have to say to you you .. So there!" You could hear her sobbing at the same time the front door slammed shut.

"Well, I guess I did it again, didn't I? I'm sorry Josh, but I can't talk right now. I need to fix this. I wonder where she went. Will you take me to the cafe? Maybe she went there to have a cold drink, but really I have no idea where she went. Josh you got to help me. I love her and want to marry her. Let's go!"

                                                                          *****

Maxine was furious! Josh had no business sticking his nose in where it didn't belong. If she wanted to help K.R. she would. He had changed his ways. He just needed a good lawyer to get a new trial and that took money. He wanted to start strip mining the mine that was on her property and that also took lots of money. She had saved several thousands of dollars to give to Lill, but it looked like Lill wouldn't give her the time of day anymore, so she would use her savings to help K.R. It was her land after all. She started walking out the door to go into Master City to get herself a new computer when the dratted puppy got in between her legs and made her fall. It had knocked the wind out of her and couldn't even talk. "I'm going to die out here and nobody will care. I think I broke my ankle, she thought." She felt the warm wet tongue of the little pup that had caused her to fall licking the tears from her cheeks. Oh she wanted that little dog gone. "Get away! Don't act sorry when it was you that made me fall in the first place. Get!"

Virginia's ghost said, "Oh oh, did you mean to do that? Is she hurt or just mad?"

Edward, (in the form of a puppy), said, "She'll be alright, but she must not go to Master City to get a new computer. I'm stalling her the best I know how."

While Virginia and Edward stood watch over Maxine she slowly was able to breathe normally, but when she went to stand she yelled! "I knew it, I broke my ankle. It's already starting to swell. Bad dog. Get out of here. You are going to be the death of me." She managed to crawl up on her porch, but with each minute that she spent crawling over to the step, the more upset she got. She was going to try pulling herself up with the porch post when she saw the patrol car pull up. "Oh wonderful. Can my day get any worse? First a fire, then this dratted dog, now the sheriff. I can't let him see me limp so I'm just going to sit here on the step and pretend that everything is just dandy. "Hello, Sheriff. What brings you out my way today? I thought we had said everything that needed to be said the other day. Now if you don't mind I'm rather busy and have lots to do, so good day! Oh but before you go take this puppy with you. It needs to go to the pound. It's too much trouble and I have no clue where it came from. Thanks."


Maxine smiled at him, but wondered why he had such a strange expression on his face. He walked over to her and said, "Maxine, are you alright? There's no puppy out here. And your face is dirty, are you sick? Let's go in the house and let me check you over. Even though she argued with him he knew he was right when she let out a little yelp when she went to get up off the porch. She couldn't help but lean on him as she hobbled into the living room.
 "What happened in here? You've had a fire! Your computer is a melted mess. Maxine, what in the world is going on? Here let me help you to the couch. You act like you've sprained your ankle. Do you have some ice? Now just do as I say for a change. I'm going to take care of you whether you like it or not. While I'm getting things together you talk to me and tell me what's going on. Where's the bandages and the pain relievers at? Now talk to me. Tell me what day it is. Tell me who is president. Talk!"
"Everything you want is in the bathroom. Just bring me an ice pack and a couple of pain pills and get this dog off of me. I'm just going to relax for a few minutes so if you would just leave me alone, I'd appreciate it. I know perfectly well what day it is and who the president is. It's the day after yesterday and the president is..."
The sheriff walked into the living room and there lay the woman he loved sound asleep. "I wonder if I should wake her up. Her face is dirty, but I don't see any lumps or bad bruises. I think I will just sit with her until she wakes up. I wonder why she keeps talking about a dog. I'll check outside and make sure it's not out there, then I'll just  read for awhile."

                                                         
                                                                         ****
"There's her car! She is at the cafe. Park this thing and let me out. I've got to fix this!" About that time Josh's phone rang, it was Allie. She was at the cafe.

2 comments:

  1. I've know folks to have said, "I'm not good enough for her, I've also know folks that are natural nurturers. I married one. Then there is Pat. What will she do and will Allie talk to Josh when she sees him come into the cafe? That little cafe is the center of that little town's gossip mill. Who will see these four?

    ReplyDelete
  2. surprised the sheriff doesnt think she is crazy lol. Poor Allie she definitely needs hired hands.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Memories Continue To Pop Up

 It's the day after Christmas and all through the house is... memories. That's what is in this house. Memories of old and memories t...